Author Topic: Number 1 Greek Island?  (Read 6276 times)

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
Number 1 Greek Island?
« on: July 05, 2017, 12:06:24 AM »
I have been meaning to post this for quite a while but didn't really know where to post it, therefore I've created a new topic.
My hubby and I had a 7 night holiday during the May spring bank holiday (school holidays). We visited Elounda in Crete. We visited Crete 12 years ago and stayed in Rythamon. which was beautiful and we has a fabulous holiday.
 During our stay I read the book ' The Island' by Victoria Hislop which I'm sure a lot of people know is a story based on the island of Spinalonga which was once a leper colony. I said I would very much like to return one day and visit Spinalonga Island.
I finally got to visit the Island and found it lived up to expectations and was extremely emotional too. I'm so glad that I finally managed to visit such a beautiful place!
The hubby and I had also heard lots of positive reviews about Elounda. Once again we were not disappointed and we were so glad that we finally visited this great resort in Crete!
However....It wasn't ARILLAS!
If we had never been to Arillas it would probably be our No. 1 Greek Island holiday destination, it really was beautiful. We had a brilliant holiday in a brilliant place but we just couldn't help comparing everything to Arillas!
 As I have previously said it was a beautiful friendly place but it just lacked that certain something that we have only ever found in ArillasI could list so many things but I'm pretty sure you all know what i mean folk?

So there you have it- Arillas is definitely our number one Greek holiday destination and we really can not see that changing.
Roll on July 28th....Can't wait!
Happy holidays everyone!

Suzy X

Suzy X

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Number 1 Greek Island?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 12:16:27 AM »
It's me again...I apologise for all the errors in the previous post.
 I have had just a few too many glasses of red wine due to the pupils at the school where I work, as a year 6 teacher, getting great SAT's results!
Nevertheless, red wine or not it doesn't alter the fact that Arillas is ....
Simply the best!!!

Suzy x

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 11:33:17 PM »
Just out of interest ....where do you think you would spend your main summer hoilday if you  hadn't found Arillas?

Suzy x

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 01:21:13 AM »
Mykonos and Santorini looks lovely but I still don't think I could bear to do without my Arillas fix! Be good if we could afford both!

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 08:49:12 AM »
I think my favourite Greek island is koufonisia in the Cyclades. It's basically one village with a string of beaches. The colours of the water are amazing and there's virtually no traffic. The downside is getting there as it takes nine hours on a modern ferry from Piraeus. Having said that I love Arillas, and it's easy to get to from uk.  That's why,  since I retired nine years ago,  I've averaged over 8 weeks a year in Beautiful Arillas.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 11:31:54 AM »
Amalfi coast in Italy. Went there for our silver wedding anniversary 5 years ago and loved it.  I do love Italy. Been to most of the cities apart from Rome funnily enough.  I love the Italian food. My favourite country after Greece. Once stayed on a vineyard in Tuscany that was beautiful as well.  I have said before and don't all shout at me - I do think there are more beautiful places than Arillas - although Arillas is beautiful but for me it is the people that make it extra special ... and the food. Arillas is still my favourite holiday destination. I feel spiritually drawn there as well.

As most of you know went to Thailand for 3 weeks in April and although that was a fantastic experience, I still prefer Arillas and it is a fraction of the journey time away. I would love to live in Arillas, probably like most of you would. At other places I feel like I'm a visitor there - a tourist whereas in Arillas, I feel like I am at home.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »
Anaxos in Lesvos .
That was my original Arillas before I found Arillas if that makes sense !  lol
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline thinwhiteduke

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 04:46:19 PM »
Almyrida in Crete my fave so far. But not been to Arillas (yet).

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 09:46:15 PM »
 Thanks for all these interesting replies - loving them!
Keep them coming folks.

Suzy X

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 10:09:46 PM »

Our winter destination is usually Cyprus or Crete.....but before we found Arillas in 2002 we loved Anaxos in the summer season too Karl.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 01:02:33 AM »
It was great there. Sadly its got so quiet now I think the kids would be bored.
There are only a couple of direct flights a week now from England since the media sensationalised the impact refugees had on the island 😕
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 09:33:02 AM »

Hi All

Kalymnos Myrties Anna studios lovey place we took our daughter there when she was very young she loved it we been here four times the owner Annas daughter had a house built for when she gets married i had the job to draw out a design for her garden very big garden we lost touch
Then we found a small place called Arillas well  as they say the rest is history

kevin

Offline thinwhiteduke

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »
Skopelos and Naxos take a lot of beating but a lot of effort required to get there!

Offline momo

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 08:53:43 PM »
Elounda is lovely.  We had a super holiday there about 10 years ago.  We haven't been back though, mainly because we discovered Arillas.  However,I would like to visit Mam's restaurant in Elounda again. It is /was on a corner of the main drag, with tables on both sides of the road. Waiters had to run across, plates in hand.  Saw a few car bumps while sitting there.
Arillas is No.1 x

Offline martinh

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 12:27:50 AM »
Discovered Arillas about 3 years ago and visited every year since.  Hope to go back again in September. The only comparison for us is Rhodes and a small resort called Haraki, but don't tell anyone.

Booking.com