Author Topic: Meal cost  (Read 9075 times)

Offline Andy66

Meal cost
« on: October 16, 2017, 09:07:19 PM »
Does anyone know what the average family meal cost with a bottle of rose and a beer

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Meal cost
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 11:27:33 PM »
It depends on how many courses you have and where you eat. Some Tavernas more expensive than others and some have a set menu which is normally cheaper but on average with two courses about €35 for 2 people. Not sure how much for a family.

Offline Andy66

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 02:21:26 PM »
Thanks is that inc wine and a beer

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »
Yes. Probably that would be with half a  litre of rose wine and one beer. Half a litre of rose wine is about 5 euros and a pint of beer is about 3 euros 50 I think,  but others may be able to be more precise.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 02:48:54 PM »
Meant to say Vavilas have stopped doing the set menu other than towards the end of the season. The Mirage often have a 2 course set menu and also Vinceremos but not sure if Vinceremos will be open next year. Most tavernas have boards with offers on outside so you can have a look at prices before you go in.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 02:57:24 PM »
Also Beachpoint is very good for families. Not the poshest of places inside but very reasonably priced and good food.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »
Most main courses are around 8-10 euros but like Sonia says there are usually specials at most places which may include a starter. We found the Horizon to be the most expensive (although consistently excellent) and more traditional tavernas such as Brouklis the most reasonable but again excellent.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »
Even without the set price menu we still found Vavilas to the cheapest.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 04:46:34 PM »

Our visits to see Thomas and family mean good food and great hospitality, we have watched the family grow up since our first visit in 2002. The food is excellent, when we first ate there it was a bit hit and miss with only the fish Thomas had caught that day on the menu and grandma supervising the cooking, the older kids waited on the tables when they grew up.
I remember a good few years ago when all the tables were occupied and Thomas pulled the table from the living room and threw a pristine table cloth over it to seat a family together. That was the night I gave the two eldest children a tip of five Euro each as we sat talking in the only chair left in the living room. As we left they came running after us trying to give it back. I told them they had to keep it as we would be very upset. They had worked so hard that night, everyone had pulled together.....a really exceptional family.

The love affair continues.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 05:37:17 PM »
Used to love chatting to Thomas and his family in May but since we have been going in August , when it's so much busier , we rarely get a chance.
They are ridiculously busy and at the end of the day its a business and I appreciate that .
Great place to eat and drink
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 05:47:27 PM »
I agree that Thomas Vavillas probably is the cheapest place to eat, even though it's not on the sea front like most of the other restaurants but great food especially the fish.
We've always found Effies to be quite cheap and definitely Beach point -  even though it's not the poshest looking place it is immaculate inside with great service and excellent food...especially their Gyros pitta!
I don't know how old your children are but Gratsela serve very large portions and I've noticed many families just order food for the adults and ask for extra plates for the children and the staff are always happy to do this.
There are so many great restaurant/tavernas to choose from.

Suzy x

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 06:11:42 PM »
I HATE criticising places on open forum but I suppose that what it is here for , so here goes , I had a very poor gyros take away from Beach Point this year . One of the worst gyros I have ever had in nearly 30 years of visiting the Greek Islands. Saying that in the past I have had one of the best gyros I have ever had from Beach Point a couple of years ago.
Probably just a one off but its put me right off to be honest .

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 09:47:33 PM »
That's a real shame Karl because we've never been disappointed with any food from Beach Point. However I do understand how you feel and I think it's very honest and brave of you to voice your opinion.
I'm not quite as brave as you. We no longer visit one of the popular restaurants anymore due to having 4 very average meals and one so poor that I couldn't eat it.
I suppose I should have complained but it was such a busy night and the owner and waiter were chatting away to the customers and didn't actually comment on the fact that I had left almost the whole meal, so I didn't bother saying anything. Therefore, like you Karl , it has put me off and we didn't visit this year.
Maybe next year?

Suzy X

Offline Andy and Claire

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 10:34:21 PM »
Hi Andy66, as others have said it depends where you eat and how many courses you have. We paid between 80 and 100 euros for 6 of us ( 4 adults, 2 kids aged 15 and 9) , mainly 2 courses for the adults and 3 for the kids with ice cream etc, soft drinks for the kids and a couple of wines and beers for the grown ups. Thomas's is great value as already mentioned but also Gratsella is very reasonable. We like to eat in lots of different tavernas and the price difference isn't that great we find, but when you work so hard for 50 weeks of the year i try not to scrimp when on holiday and worry about £10 difference here and there.
Hope this helps,
Andy.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 11:43:10 PM »
One of the best kept secrets food wise in Arillas is Bardis Sun. Always best to check what/if Poppy is cooking that day though.
Superb food and very reasonabe!!!
You should say if you aren't impressed with somewhere Suzy, nothing brave about it. Its a forum for information and opinions , good or bad surely? ☺
I am sure we're not going to destroy anyones business on here.  IF for one minute I thought it would I would keep my mouth shut.......

Booking.com