Author Topic: Room tax  (Read 25828 times)

Offline sueandmikeakablondegirl

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Room tax
« on: October 20, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »
Has anyone any news on the room tax that is supposed to be enforced in 2018?

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Room tax
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 02:10:55 PM »
Hi
See copy of a press release dated June 16th
The General Secretariat of Public Revenue on Thursday issued a circular that includes details on how a new levy will be charged to Greek accommodation units.
The new levy — or the so-called “stayover tax” — will be imposed as of January 1, 2018, to hotels and furnished rooms/apartments for rent and calculated based on the number of overnight stays and the category of the accommodation unit, ranging from 50 cents to four euros per room.
One- and two-star hotels will be charged 0.50 euros, three-star hotels 1,50 euros, four-star hotels 3,00 euros and 5-star hotels 4,00 euros.
One- and two-key furnished rooms/apartments will be charged 0.25 euros, three-key furnished rooms/apartments 0.50 euros and four-key furnished rooms/apartments 1,00 euro.
The new levy is part of an austerity package passed by the Greek government in May.
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »
Vasilios from the Marina hotel has posted that the vast majority of accommodation in Arillas is no more than 3* so that should not really break the bank for most of us

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
Hi
As the Greek economy continues to struggle under their mountain of debt and Germany’s refusal to be lenient on their loan repayments I feel sure the tax will increase. In the short term a tourist tax is an easy way to raise revenue.
(The  of the 30% vat reduction for the Greek islands for tourism has already been removed.)
In parts of Spain the tax is per person per night with under 16 yr olds exempt
Geoff

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 07:27:36 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 07:35:10 PM »
just got our e tickets from Thompson for Rhodes our room tax is 4 euros a night (two weeks Holiday),might have to limit going to Greece from now on.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 07:56:52 PM »
Hi
As I said it is not only Greece, and the tax will be increased as it is an easy way for a government to hit tourists without upsetting the nationals.
Wait till they start charging per per person per night as in some areas of Spain
Short term it will increase revenue for governments. Long term ??????
I still hate the EU
Geoff

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 08:35:59 PM »
Hi
Wonder how much of the tax will actually get into the government coffers?
Geoff

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 06:06:41 PM »
just got our e tickets from Thompson for Rhodes our room tax is 4 euros a night (two weeks Holiday),might have to limit going to Greece from now on.
Hi
Don't forget the Greek tax on plastic bags that has now started.
Geoff

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 07:07:07 PM »
Must remember to pack extra strong one to carry the loo rolls and bottles of wine 🤣

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 10:52:30 AM »
did not know about the bag tax.
Harold,

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 11:44:41 AM »
Hi
The Eco-Tax (as called) is 3 cents a bag +24% vat which totals to 3.75 cents and then rounded up to 4 cents.
As of 2019 the charge wil increase to 7 cents.
Reported that Greeks use 242 to 363 per person. Estimated more than 4 million are used a year.
Greeks use plastic bags twice the average of other Europeans.
Athens aims to reduce the use of plastic bags by 75% by end 2020 and 90% by 2025.
No charge will be made for shopping in open markets and kiosks.
As in the UK the government are one of the largest winners for this tax via VAT.
Why charge tax?
I wonder, as with the room tax how much will end up in Athens?
Geoff

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 01:57:34 PM »
sounds like the only way that the greek government is going to get any tax in,is to hit the holiday makers
Harold,

Offline audrey

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 11:59:37 AM »
"Hitting the holiday maker?"  4 cents per plastic bag!  Well that's daylight robbery. That's 2p a time.  We're not having that.  We're out!

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 05:39:15 PM »
Well , Guys , and my opinion only.
4 cents a bag is not a lot too ask for. You buy them once and use them again and again. This is what we do and if any "big shops" then we take our large "ex Tesco" bags plus a cool box. Plastic bags have been taken for granted far too long and it is , unfortunately the few that abuse them, who make life a tad difficult for all of us who treat them with respect.
I was asked once , "When you go shopping do you take and old bag with you"
"No" , I replied , "My ex - mother in law lives in the UK" - (Notice I use Ex-Mother in Law here)
Cheers
Negg

Booking.com