Author Topic: Snorkelling !  (Read 31628 times)

Offline Gary & Julie

Re: Snorkelling !
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 06:43:05 PM »
As a keen diver in the UK I always pack my snorkelling gear, I go in the water most days. One days whilst playing around on the beach I had this urge to snorkel to gravia island across from arillea beach. I thought to myself that I would be there and back before Julie would miss me as she wa sun bathing nearby. I can say with conviction that the depth of ther water remained shallow enough to dive to the bottom throughout my trip. My estimated time was slipping away but I pressed on, determined to make it to the island. one and a half hours later I arived at the island but could not get out of the water as it is covered with sharp spikey outcrops. Determined to survey the island, I swam on, around the back and ended up between two parts seperated by a narrow causway.  I could not find a place to rest, so started my swim back to the beach, realising the time, I swam as fast as my fins would carry me hopefully before Julie got worried. The beach seamed to be moving away as fast as I could swim back, This must have been the tide on the turn. I eventually returned to the beach to find Julie on the brink of going for help. She was really worried and not too happy.  Not my best idea, I can safely say, so be careful when out away from the beach. As for fish, I saw more life next to the peer, than anywhere else and I spent 5 whole weeks in the water at some part of the day.  I did venture out to Nissaki beach, just to the right of the Hotel where the water seems even clearer than Arillas. I saw squid and lots of fish. There is also a dive club which operates from this beach, run by a guy called Costas.  Happy snorkelling, Gary

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 11:01:37 PM »
Hi Barry & everyone
Did quite a lot of snorkelling first two weeks of June 2007 while in Arillas staying at the Horizon.
I found that the northern end of the beach near the headland with the little church and villa on top was best.  Its best to walk to the far end of the (nude) beach, and then flipper out.  The first 100 yards are rocky but  very few fish.  After that there's plenty of growth on the rocks and plenty of fish of all sorts.  The biggest I saw were only about 8 inches long, but there were lots of varieties.  There were shoals of small silver and blue fish, buff/gold fish, and some of the copper/green ones that look like those little bronze statues you get in gift shops.
I like best the ones which look a bit like swallows, dark brown with swallow tails.

I wanted to swim right round the headland to see St. Stephanos, but gave up after several hundred yards, because on rounding each little headland I found another one a hundred yards on.

Good luck with your snorkelling, but beware of getting too much sun on your back especially if not wearing trunks/swimsuit!

Pat

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline Lozicle

• Arillas Addict
  • That's me :)
    • http://www.myspace.com/lozicle
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 01:36:04 PM »
The snorkelling isn't spectacular around Arillas but well worth a look.
There are lots of fish to see, urchins etc.
Of all the islands I've been to Corfu seem to have less going on in the sealife department. I don't know if I just haven't found the right spot, or don't go out deep enough.

I always wear a headscarf when I go out snorkelling - I've got sun stroke too many times lol.

If anyone knows of any good snorkelling spots on Corfu please post them :D

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 03:19:43 PM »
My daughter always used to get the backs of her legs and back burnt when she snorkelled!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 09:28:55 AM »
If anyone wants to try snorkelling you can now book a session through San Stefano Travel.  According to the web-site the organisers  take you by boat to the twin bays of Porto Timoni (on the headland south or Arillas) so that area must be quite good.

A good friend of mine, George, who used to live in Agios Georgios was a keen snorkeller until a couple of years ago.  He liked the far side of Kravia Island which has deep water, and also the headland just mentioned.  Going further away (by boat) he said there were good spots at the sides of Agios Georgios bay and towards Paleokastritsa.

He and his wife have a nice gift shop (Sophias)  in Agios Stefanos (next to Thomas Bay Hotel) now. George is a great guy and if he is not busy in the shop it is worth popping in to ask him about anywhere nearer.

Dennis

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 11:17:39 AM »
Thank you Dennis.  Many of our guests ask about the best places for snorkelling, a subject I don't know much about, but now I can pass this on  your excellent information.

Eileen.x

Offline dwg69

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 10:46:14 AM »
Hi to all I will be in Ag Gorge north at the end of May and hope to go snorkelling them

derek

Poise is the art of raising the eyebrow instead of the roof

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 12:31:23 PM »
Derek

You may find the water hasn't warmed up in May but maybe you are used to that.

You can hire a boat from the SunFun Club (http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/sunfunclub.htm) which is in front of the Alkyon Beach Hotel.

My friend George from Agios Georgios used to snorkel and spear fish regularly for many years and says a good handy place for easy access is at the left side of Agios Georgios beach in front of the Akrogiali fish restaurant.

Then there are the cliffs around the Afionas headland to your right, including the twin bays of Porto Timoni.

For slightly longer trips he favoured the deep water on the far side of Kravia Island and some places away to the left of the bay (from Agios Georgios beach) along the base of the cliffs just before Paleokastritsa.

have a good time

Dennis

Offline JohnJ

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »
Not being a serious snorkeller I would never attempt swimming all the way to Gravia island but, from an amatuers point of view the best snorkelling I found was at Paleokastritsa.  You dont have to go out far at all and I saw hundreds of small fish and some up to something lke 12 to 15 inches.   The smaller swordfish type seem to like the left hand side of the beach underneath the tied up boats whilst the bigger ones I saw were over to the right near the rocks and cliffs.
JoihnJ
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 08:09:16 PM »
Best snorkelling I've found is at Kassiopi.
At the beach with the big white pebbles ,turn right and follow the rocky outcrop's all the way back to the harbour.
Last year me and my mate got in and were that absorbed with fish watching we didn't realize how far we'd swam.
When we looked up we were almost in the harbour.
Was harder swimming back though as the tide was against us.
Hope I don't burn !

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 09:26:07 PM »
when snorkeling near rocks best wera a pair of them swimming shoes you dont want to stand on an urchin i know theres lots around Kassiopi they were even out of the sea on the harbour rocks last year i took this pic at Roda

riggers

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 09:38:21 PM »
No we don't want to be standing on that "OUCH" 

riggers......

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 09:44:31 PM »
I've trodden on one before....agony.....
Sandy x

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 01:36:17 AM »
Tide shoved me onto one of those.
Got me right in the middle of my beer belly !
Everyone thought it was a tatoo of a firework !
Hope I don't burn !

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 09:16:49 AM »
LMAO barry somefirework bet it made the sparks fly lol
                                               Tony

Booking.com