Author Topic: Snorkelling !  (Read 31616 times)

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
Re: Snorkelling !
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 10:50:16 AM »
Aaah the peril's of snorkelling !
A few year's ago I was having a "snork" off the beach in Turkey while Susan relaxed getting her tan.
So I'm in about 4 feet of water marvelling at the fishies and the bottom was all white small pebbles.
Next thing I see's a big shark shaped shadow on the bottom about 20 feet away.
"Eeek", I thought as it rapidly came toward's me.
It was almost on me and I raised my head so my mask was half in,half out of the water.
In the split second I looked up....BANG !
The pointy end of a windsurfer got me smack dab in the middle of my mask,smashed it in half and gave me a lovely gash right on the bridge of my nose.  (Can I hear laughing?)
So I swallowed about 2 gallon of seawater and managed to get my feet on the bottom.
Anyway on the windsurfer was a German kid about 15 year's old and I think he was more upset than me. He was apologising in German and I'm coughing and spluttering trying to calm HIM down !
So I stagger's back up the beach with my mask in pieces with a trail of blood running down my nose with the odd Brit sunbather asking "Are you alright mate?"
I think this should be in the "Frank Spencer" thread !
Get's back to Susan who is laid out on her lilo with her sunglasses on and eye's closed.
"Did you have a nice swim then?" she say's,not opening her eye's.
"Do I look like I've had a nice swim!? "(Expletives deleted) I groan.
After I tell her the story she say's "It could only happen to you ".
I think she's right.
Hope I don't burn !

Offline dwg69

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 11:49:22 AM »
Derek

You may find the water hasn't warmed up in May but maybe you are used to that.

You can hire a boat from the SunFun Club (http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/sunfunclub.htm) which is in front of the Alkyon Beach Hotel.

My friend George from Agios Georgios used to snorkel and spear fish regularly for many years and says a good handy place for easy access is at the left side of Agios Georgios beach in front of the Akrogiali fish restaurant.

Then there are the cliffs around the Afionas headland to your right, including the twin bays of Porto Timoni.

For slightly longer trips he favoured the deep water on the far side of Kravia Island and some places away to the left of the bay (from Agios Georgios beach) along the base of the cliffs just before Paleokastritsa.

have a good time

Dennis

Thanks Dennis yes I come to think of it the water was a bit cold May 2006 but this year both my wife and I have get wet suits, so if any one see's two beached whales on the beach that will be us

Derek

Poise is the art of raising the eyebrow instead of the roof

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 12:09:44 PM »
I think a problem with snorkelling is that you loose all sense of where you are because its so easy to get engrossed in watching the fish.

I swam into some coral in Tobago, whilst snorkelling, cut my knee and then stupidly put my hand on to the coral and cut my hand as well. When you see your blood in the sea water because you are still looking under water it is a bit of a shock.

Like you Barry, I had to walk back up the beach to where Helen was sunbathing, with blood coming out of my knee and my hand, mask still in place on my face and all I got when she saw me was " trust you, its always you who does stupid things". Not one ounce of sympathy :-(. I would have at least expected an " Oh dear, what have you done, that looks nasty".

A lady next to us was a nurse and she advised me to get it cleaned up with antiseptic cream immediately because she said coral can cause infection.

So there I was, on a lovely tropical beach, with my hand and knee bandaged up for the next three days.

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2008, 01:43:50 PM »
Oh dear Barry/Terry

I would have been full of sympathy for you both and then i would have passed out!!

Shuey

riggers

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2008, 02:00:31 PM »
I'm not laughing. Honestly :)

Booking.com