Author Topic: Greek food  (Read 4134 times)

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
Greek food
« on: April 20, 2018, 12:42:15 AM »
I LOVE Greek food!

I know that we're spoilt in Arillas, because of the quality of ingredients and the supreme talent with which it is cooked and presented. However, I was hooked long before I discovered Arillas.
But I was prompted to make this post by a conversation I had recently with an acquaintance who said that she loved Greece but hadn't holidayed there for over 20 years - since she got married - because her husband hated oregano and was of the opinion that ALL greek food was  cooked with oregano!

Am I biased - and blinkered?

Is it all cooked with oregano?

Personally I don't care if it is or isn't. To me, it's just the food of the Gods.

So here's the question:

Do you go to Greece and seek out 'British' food, or authentic Greek food?

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
Re: Greek food
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 08:09:39 AM »

Hi

English food left at home we try all Greek food even unusual Greek food such boiled squid there is no reason not to love Greek food

They use chicken beef lamb pork fish it’s only what we eat at home talking about this lovely food is making me pine for Arillas

Kevin

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 10:59:09 AM »
I LOVE Greek food!

I know that we're spoilt in Arillas, because of the quality of ingredients and the supreme talent with which it is cooked and presented. However, I was hooked long before I discovered Arillas.
But I was prompted to make this post by a conversation I had recently with an acquaintance who said that she loved Greece but hadn't holidayed there for over 20 years - since she got married - because her husband hated oregano and was of the opinion that ALL greek food was  cooked with oregano!

Am I biased - and blinkered?

Is it all cooked with oregano?

Personally I don't care if it is or isn't. To me, it's just the food of the Gods.

So here's the question:

Do you go to Greece and seek out 'British' food, or authentic Greek food?

Hi
It may surprise you but when in Rome I do as the Romans do.
Apart from the  lager lol. The Metaxa and wine goes down well though
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 01:17:19 PM »
I love Greek food also but have to confess to the odd full English whilst in Arillas. I love lamb and it is my favourite meat and of course lamb is on all menus in Arillas. I also love fish and love Thomas' (Vavillas). I am contrary to your friend as love oregano. I try to remember to sprinkle it on chips at home like they do in Cofu but usually forget. I often cook Greek food at home. I recently tried making the orange cake and it turned out lovely. I also have the Real Greek cookbook which is very good. My favourite recipe from that book is the beef stifado.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 03:42:02 PM »
I think they do use lots of oregano infact I just bought a fresh plant myself to recreate some Greek atmosphere as I was making chicken souvlaki the other night! We always eat Greek in Arillas but like  Sonia treat ourselves to a few 'Full English's' whilst we are there! Brits abroad woohoo!!

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »
It is really hard to get hold of fresh oregano in the UK so good idea Jo.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 05:07:30 PM »

Hi

I love beef stifado

And Lamb kleftiko

. Kevin

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 05:57:00 PM »
I think they do use lots of oregano infact I just bought a fresh plant myself to recreate some Greek atmosphere as I was making chicken souvlaki the other night! We always eat Greek in Arillas but like  Sonia treat ourselves to a few 'Full English's' whilst we are there! Brits abroad woohoo!!
Hi
Even I have a full Greek breakfast on day of departure at the Mathraki
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 06:03:14 PM »
Definitely Greek food especially the lamb dishes as lamb is my favourite red meat! The seabass is absolutely delicious in Arillas too! My husband loves Beef Stifado and any fish dish or sea food and not forgetting the huge pieces of pork chops that are served with lovely home made chips! What about the potatoes cooked in olive oil...mmm! We also love having loads of starters as they're so fantastic and then not bothering with a main because we're so stuffed....oh yes stuffed peppers and vine leaves! Gyros pitta is another firm favourite especially at lunchtime sitting on the beach with a cold bottle of beer from Alex supermarket!
In fact almost all Greek food in Arillas is amazing and their English food and Italian pasta dishes are great too!

I've lost 2 stone in 6 months... no doubt I shall put quite a lot of it back on when we're back in Arillas...but I shall enjoy every minute!

Suzy x

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 06:41:13 PM »
Greek all day !
Well done on the weight loss Suzy !   Great work !
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 07:03:56 PM »
speaking of Greek Food - it is Greek week again at Lidl from Thursday 26th April.

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 07:04:30 PM »
Thank you

Suzy x

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 07:12:36 PM »

Hi all
Reading all about this lovely food I will need a

to get me back home

Kevin

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 07:47:18 PM »
Karl...the thank you was for the compliment but thank you Sonia for letting us know about Lidl Greek week. Haha!

Suzy x

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 09:54:56 PM »
Thanks for thanking us for the thanks
Thanks
😂
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Booking.com