Author Topic: Holiday April 2018  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Barry

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Holiday April 2018
« on: May 04, 2018, 01:39:05 AM »
Arrived at Corfu airport Wednesday 25th April at 1.00pm. Just for change had decided to hire a car instead of paying 60euros each way for a taxi. Booked through Ryanair it only cost £65 Inc insurance for the week. Bargain!. Took the free shuttle bus to the rental office , about 2mins as it was just at the end of the road to the airport. Took the coast rd round Corfu town and set off for Arillas. Have done the journey in a taxi many times so knew the way. Took about an hour.
When we arrived we couldn't believe how quiet it was. We were staying with Alex and Stella again in the apartment above the supermarket. Stayed a few times before and love it there and are always welcomed like we're family.
Strolling around Arillas it was clear that there weren't many places open but everyone was busy painting, cleaning or planting making the place ready for the summer.
Ate at Kostas, Brouklis, Gratzellas, Pizza restaurant, Athina and Beach point. Every meal was good.
Saddened to hear about Dimitri's dad.
Effies were having a new canopy built. Had a brief chat but they were busy painting.
Walking around at night we witnessed the fire flies for the first time. Amazing, like walking through the fairy lights at Xmas.
Fantastic weather all week, high 20s to 30 degrees every day. Hardly a soul on the beach. Perfect!.
Had a drive to Kassiopi , Palaekstritsa and through a few other villages whose name i can't remember. I thought British roads were bad but these were an adventure. We would have been better off on a donkey on a few we went down.
All too soon the week was over so said our goodbyes and set off back to the airport. Took the scenic route back as I missed a turning and ended up going through a couple of places that the car only just went through.
Dropped the car off and they took us back to the airport.
Rental firm were Abbey Cars. They were very good.
Bit of drama on the plane as just as we were about to take off , an elderly lady was having chest pains and needed medical attention. Fortunately there was a Dr and paramedic on board. But had to get her an ambulance . She was in a party of 6 so they had to get all their bags off and go with her. Hope she recovers quickly.
All set to go again but a warning light comes on so have to wait for an engineer. He can't fix it quickly so we have to transfer to a spare plane they had there. Total delay 3hs 7 mins.
Some passengers were having a right moan at the staff on board about the delay. Unbelievable!.
Regards Barry and Christine.

Ps. Will try and post some pictures when i work out how to do it again.

Offline Barry

Re: Holiday April 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 02:12:11 AM »
I've posted a few pictures in the photo gallery board.
Regards Barry and Christine.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 09:23:51 AM »
Glad you had a good time ☺ . Don't forget to try claiming for your flight delay..... not sure if you can if it was due to someone being ill on board though?
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Greenbeans

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 10:19:52 AM »
Hi Barry
Please can you let me know how to get to the photo board, arriving on the 18 May, and I would love to see pictures of Arillas when it is really quiet.
Many thanks
Greenbeans

Offline Barry

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 11:30:15 AM »
Hi, just go to the forum home page, scroll down to the photo gallery board.
Regards Barry

Offline Barry

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »
Would just like to add that Corfu airport is undergoing a lot of refurbishment at the moment. Lots of scaffolding outside restricting the drop off area. Hope it's done before the summer rush.
New toilets are immaculate.
Have heard that it is now German owned and will be accepting earlier flights.
Regards Barry

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 12:54:54 PM »
Thank you for sharing Barry and good to hear you had a good time. :)

Let's hope the lady on your return flight recovered and everyone got home ok.
Life is good ;)

Booking.com