Author Topic: Flight refund & compensation for issues: tax question?  (Read 5213 times)

Offline harryTL

Flight refund & compensation for issues: tax question?
« on: May 10, 2018, 06:30:20 PM »
Hi :) I recently had some issues with RyanAir with my flight to Greece (money problems, they took way more than they should've done which led to some fairly large problems with my bank!) which have all since been sorted, and I've been given compensation for these issues. I was wondering if the money from them is liable to tax like income? I ask because I work part time and my wife works full time, so I earn only just under the personal allowance amount according to this tax calculator (https://www.income-tax.co.uk/), so basically any additional money I get will make my income taxable. I can't find anything about this myself, so was hoping someone with a little more knowledge could let me know what happens in this situation.

Thanks!

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Flight refund & compensation for issues: tax question?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 06:57:16 PM »
Genearlly any compensation is not taxable. However, if you receive compensation of over £7,000 then it can affect any means tested benefits that you receive and you have to declare it to the DWP.

Offline harryTL

Re: Flight refund & compensation for issues: tax question?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 07:15:56 PM »
Genearlly any compensation is not taxable. However, if you receive compensation of over £7,000 then it can affect any means tested benefits that you receive and you have to declare it to the DWP.

Oh do I wish it was that much! :P DWP.. isn't that more work/employment related than tax related? It's not relevant to me but seems like an interesting place to report something like that

Booking.com