Author Topic: Mosquito  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Andy66

Mosquito
« on: June 24, 2018, 06:49:54 PM »
Are there many mosquitos in arillas what does anyone recommend, we normally use off can you buy in arillas

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Mosquito
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 07:24:58 PM »
To enjoy Arillas, most of us have to take mozzie precautions. Jen used to be eaten alive, and had about 20 bites lanced and treated by the doctor in 2003. It kept us away for 4 years, until in 2007 we ventured back. The following 10 years saw us there at least 3 weeks, sometimes 4 per year with no bites at all. Our deep seated love of Corfu and Arillas began in earnest then.

She sprays her feet and legs with 50% DEET whenever we go out in the evening, and whenever her legs were potentially at risk. Exposed arms and shoulders too. She has had very few bites since.

Me? Thet HATE me. I have never been bitten, although some other insects have had a free lunch now and then.

Best wishes. Take precautions and enjoy what to us is heaven on earth.

Phil

Offline sueandmikeakablondegirl

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 08:09:58 AM »
I have never been bitten on any Greek holiday but this week so far I have been bitten like mad. Tried everything so far , citronella spray, jungle stuff in spray, roll ons, Vick was recommended too.  Marmite everyday, I've even thought of spreading it on me instead of eating it. Desperate measures needed now.  Perhaps A tan  coloured westsuit but then i would look nude and it's not a look I would recommend 😅. I think it's because we've had rain .I've had two new ones overnight 😟

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 09:32:19 AM »
You're right I think.... its the unseasonal rain thats making them active ☹
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 12:35:43 PM »
We swear by 'Jungle Formua' repellent - sprays,creams or lotions, all seem to work. Cover all exposed areas of skin before you go out on a night. In addition, we think the plug-in mozzie machines are a must. Plug those in when you go out and leave on all night. We were also advised to make sure you leave a window open (just close the shutters) 'cos the vapour from the machines doesn't actually kill them, they just don't like it so they need a way of escaping out of the room. Works for us.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 12:29:46 AM »
Well I’ve just got three horrendous nights in my Lancashire garden! Foot and ankle looks even more balloon-like than normal!

Offline sueandmikeakablondegirl

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 10:23:36 AM »
I got blisters, bites, cold sores, aching legs from the long walk yesterday. I came away to feel better .😅😅... Now it's been raining all night and this morning..sitting on the balcony hearing the gutters drip.. its better than sitting at home tho,  it's beginning to look a bit brighter too. No new bites either. Got jungle formula spray too.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 12:57:58 PM »
Do not wear aftershave or the ladies Perfume in the evening,I did start wearing aftershave and got bitten no death,even wearing anti Mosi creams.We use mossie tablets and liquid burners at night and always put fresh ones on before we go to bed.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 03:07:40 PM »
Sue and Mike I can see your apartment from where I am sat by the pool but here I am talking to you on the forum. Lol. Air con is the answer and keep the covers on at night. Keep all doors and windows closed especially in the evening . Agree with Harold about perfume and aftershave Jungle formula is best repellant I think but keep reapplying it.

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 12:10:27 AM »
I totally agree with everything Sonia has said. I also take vitamin B6 4 weeks before I go which smell like Marmite. It may sound extreme but I had a very nasty mossie bite about 15 years ago in Zakynthos (maybe longer) and needed to see a Doctor so since then I have always been very careful!
I can honestly say I've been absolutely fine since then (touch wood)
If I do ever get bitten I immediatetly take an anti histamine and again I'm fine.
Hope this helps

Suzy x

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 10:06:34 AM »
Hi
I find long trousers and long sleeved shirts are the best repellant in the evening.
A/C  in the room.
Or maybe its the Colman's?
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Booking.com