Author Topic: Corfu town  (Read 3894 times)

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Corfu town
« on: June 27, 2018, 05:07:54 PM »
Well it is our eighth visit to Corfu but today was the first time we have been to Corfu town rather than just driving through it from the airport. Have fallen in love with it. Looked around the old fortress and went to St Spiridion church where you can kiss the feet of Saint Spiridion. Felt like I was in a scene from the Durells. Lol.

Booked with Olga travel. Picked up at 9 and returned back at 3. 12 euros. Would highly recommend.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
Re: Corfu town
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 06:00:22 PM »

Hi Sonia

The old fortress is good and all the shops in the town down the little alleyways have a good time

Kev

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 06:42:08 PM »
best thing about the old fort is i can go in at a pentioneers rate
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 08:59:43 PM »
Hi
Went town Corfu Town once. Not my cup of tea. There again, I dont like Lakeside or Bluewater either.
Dont like shopping period.
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 09:33:51 PM »
I love Corfu old town...such beautiful buildings  and winding cobbled streets which are easy to get lost in! The vie fantastic views from the fortress. It's also very pretty at night when it's all lit up.
Enjoy!

Suzy x

Offline sueandmikeakablondegirl

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 09:30:27 AM »
We did it once, we enjoyed wandering around but wouldn't do it again. Glad you had a good time and it was a great day to do it as it wasn't hot, best thing to do on overcast day is to shop 😄

Offline jebbo

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 07:04:30 PM »
Love Corfu old town as well. Lovely Venetian architecture. If you replaced cobbled streets with canals it would be so much like Venice.

Jebbo

Offline sueandmikeakablondegirl

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 08:54:10 AM »
Chania on Crete is like that with lots of Venetian buildings. Crumbling buildings covered in vines with restaurants underneath.  Very pretty it is, one of our fave places.

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »
Rethymnon in Crete is very similar too.

Suzy x

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 04:17:32 PM »
It reminded me of Sorrento. The narrow streets lined with shops like the drains in Sorrento and the buildings look very Italian. Didn't do any shopping, just sight seeing and a lovely lunch at Enplu restaurant right by the sea.

Offline Hels Bels

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 04:57:50 PM »
We arrived yesterday and spent the first night in Corfu Town and the atmosphere was amazing! We have been coming to Corfu for 25 years, but this is our first stay in the town itself. I think I will now do it every year. So many people, dancing, music, chatting, absolutely brilliant!

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 11:55:54 PM »
We arrived yesterday and spent the first night in Corfu Town and the atmosphere was amazing! We have been coming to Corfu for 25 years, but this is our first stay in the town itself. I think I will now do it every year. So many people, dancing, music, chatting, absolutely brilliant!

I agree.
I've been into Corfu town on many occasions during the day over the years (rarely to shop, 'just love the architecture/history/culture etc), but then a few years ago stayed overnight before catching an early ferry and , like you, thought the atmosphere was fabulous.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 01:54:39 AM »
We finally went for the day last year after 21 years and loved it also. Was too hot though so would be lovely to do the night trip I think this year. I really could never be bothered as I associated Corfu town with the scruffy bits you see when coming from the airport. How wrong we were!

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 12:33:37 PM »

HI ALL

We did the evening trip a few years ago had a lovely meal a few drinks.
We walked up and down the little side streets shops selling from gold watches to flip flops - hats - t-shirts - and fake bags.  All the shops were brightly lit up and the atmosphere was lovely - it seemed like all the world and his wife were there.  The Greeks were drinking Greek coffee, smoking and just doing what the Greeks do.  Once we had walked round the back streets for a while I said we ought to locate where out pick-up point is for the coach, but we were hopelessly lost.  We spent at least 1 hour trying to find our pick-up point.  You think you recognise where you are, walk down a street - and its not where you think it would bring you out, so you have to start all over again.  We asked in one of the shops in a Greek fashion and they told us where to go.  We finally found it and there was a cafe restaurant nearby so we sat there for the rest of the evening - people watching and having a few beers, and relaxed until it was time to go and pick up the coach.  It was an excellent evening and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kevin

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 02:37:43 PM »
The first year we went to Arillas (6 years ago now) we visited Corfu town town, once during the day and then again one evening and I agree with everything that's been said...beautiful place and great atmosphere! We weren't put off by the journey from the airport as we had already read that the old town was so very different and definitely worth a visit.
We try to visit every time we are in Arillas and never tire of it as there is always somewhere or something that we haven't seen before.
 It's like a treasure trove!

Suzy x

Booking.com