Author Topic: Using Credit Cards  (Read 6168 times)

Offline Dave70

Using Credit Cards
« on: July 22, 2018, 11:48:00 PM »
Hi everyone,  can anyone let me know if paying for drinks and meals in the Tavernas / Restaurants in Arillas by credit card is acceptable as I've heard different reports regarding this. We're obviously taking cash but didn't really want to take our full allowance in cash, thanks.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Using Credit Cards
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 12:16:58 AM »
I think they'll charge a fee if you use a credit card - you'd be better using a debit card if you have one. There are also three or four ATM's in Arillas if you want cash, or you can get cards from various outlets in the UK including the post office, that you 'load up' with an amount before you go and can then use like a debit card to pay for purchases.

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 12:17:19 AM »
Most tavernss but not all take cards. Brouklis does and so does Gratselas. Both supermarkets Alex's and Inas take card payment. There are 3 ATMs in Arillas to withdraw cash.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 12:23:40 AM »
We're obviously taking cash but didn't really want to take our full allowance in cash, thanks.

Is there a limit to the amount you can take? I wasn't aware of that.

Personally I take a bit of cash (euros not sterling), enough to last the first couple of days, and then draw out of the ATM as and when I need to.

Offline Dave70

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 12:31:00 AM »
Thankyou for your replies,  we'll be taking enough cash to last most of the first week and we actually have a Cash Passport card which we used last year in Lanzarote by putting funds on it before leaving the UK so if that's accepted  (wasn't sure it would be), we'll take that. Thanks.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 12:36:22 AM »
There is no fee as such by tavernas for using credit cards but your credit card company will charge a fee probably.

Offline Dave70

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 12:37:32 AM »
There's no limit to what cash you can take as far as I'm aware it's just that I had to use some of my funds recently so need the trusted credit card to make it up. 🙁

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 12:52:17 AM »
No limit on how much cash you can take. we take all cash which includes paying for our accommodation.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 09:00:57 AM »

Hi

Is there a fee for using credit card overseas?
It's called a foreign-transaction fee. If your card has one of these fees, it'll charge you up to 3 percent of the purchase price every time you swipe overseas. Your credit card network, such as Visa or MasterCard, usually takes about 1 percent. The issuing bank eats up the other 2 percent.

alright in a emergency but not all the time

In summary, here are our picks for the best credit cards for international travel with no foreign transaction fee:
Capital OneŽ VentureŽ Rewards Credit Card: Best for hotel purchases.
Chase Sapphire PreferredŽ Card: Best for flexible travel rewards.
Capital OneŽ VentureOneŽ Rewards Credit Card: Best for no annual fee.

kevin

Offline sueandmikeakablondegirl

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 11:07:49 AM »
We used the ATM once this year for a top up and I was amazed how easy it was.  No problems. 

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 12:30:49 PM »
Thankyou for your replies,  we'll be taking enough cash to last most of the first week and we actually have a Cash Passport card which we used last year in Lanzarote by putting funds on it before leaving the UK so if that's accepted  (wasn't sure it would be), we'll take that. Thanks.

Hi
Not sure what a  Cash Passport card is, but with cards that you pre load with your chosen foreign currency in the UK, which you can add to whenever the exchange rate is favourable, you have no protection for any lose if the card provider goes bust. They are not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline Dave70

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 12:06:49 AM »
Thanks Geoff that's something I wasn't aware of and well worth knowing.  👍

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 11:03:47 AM »
Hi
Another precautionary tale about using pre paid currency cards I have just read about.
With these cards you pre load the card with Euro (or whatever) when the exchange rate is favourable and spend the money abroad.
BUT if you use them in the UK, when you may decide to withdraw 100 euro  for your immediate  holiday requirements from a multi currency ATM, such as found at UK airports, you will find an extra sum is deducted from your card.
This is because the ATM converts the sum twice. From Euros to Sterling then back to Euros.This means your your money has been converted three times over, including the the initial conversation when you first pre loaded the card.
This is the ATM charge and not the card provider.
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 07:34:52 PM »
I have mentioned on here before that we had a post office one for Thailand last year. Nightmare to sort out if you have a problem. Actually getting to speak to a human being took us ages which is not cheap when calling from Thailand. Then it was going to be 48  hours to get a replacement to us and as we were travelling around it was not possible to arrange this do had to await a refund which took 7 days. Good job we had other money. I have heard now thought that some of these pre paid card provides now supply 2 cards in case you lose one.

Offline june

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 07:42:16 PM »
I made a mistake with my cash passport once when I was asked did I want a conversion and said yes and then did incur charges. Also if it asks if you want local currency it should be yes. The card did refund the charges eventually even though it was my fault but check if you have a card which options you need. I did use it three times in Arillas this yea without a problem. They can also be used to pay in shops and restaurants. Very useful not carrying large amounts of cash about.

Booking.com