Author Topic: Using Credit Cards  (Read 6170 times)

Offline John Smith

Re: Using Credit Cards
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 08:48:26 PM »
Am I missing something here.
1 Greek law requires all businesses to have a POS ( point of sale) machine installed, so you should not be required to pay cash if you don't want to.
2 European law now forbids businesses to add a surcharge on Debit/Credit card payments.
If you have a "Speciality Credt Card" (like the Halifax Clarity Card / Santander 123 Credit Card / Santander Zero Credit Card or any other no commission credit card),  no fees are charged except some may charge on withdrawals from ATM's, although not all.

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 05:53:31 PM »
Hi
I agree with what you say, about debit/credit surcharges are no longer allowed under EU Law. Not sure how much this always benefits the customer, especially when using holiday companies, who used to charge a very profitable % on credit card bookings (No charge for Debit Cards). No doubt the basic holiday cost has now been increased for everybody, even those using debit cards, to recover the revenue.

There are at least two businesses offering acomodation in Arrillas that will not accept card payments. Their terms are cash only. Have had no personal experience of this, but only what I have been told by holiday acquaintances who had to draw cash on their cards to pay.
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 06:03:27 PM »

1 Greek law requires all businesses to have a POS ( point of sale) machine installed, so you should not be required to pay cash if you don't want to.
2 European law now forbids businesses to add a surcharge on Debit/Credit card payments.

What the law says, and what businesses do, are two entirely different things ( - in the UK and abroad).

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 12:17:42 AM »
Couldn't agree more Angie. Love the Corfu people for it. What is this nonsense law about olive oil  having nf go be in a sealed bottles on tables for instance. Nonsense.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 01:04:31 AM »
Couldn't agree more Angie. Love the Corfu people for it. What is this nonsense law about olive oil  having nf go be in a sealed bottles on tables for instance. Nonsense.

I know - crackers, isn't it?

It's not just in Corfu 'tho', there are still local shops around here that charge for using cards (credit and debit). I don't mind. I think small businesses need to use every means possible these days to keep their heads above the water.

Booking.com