Author Topic: I am so very dissapointed.........  (Read 10128 times)

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Re: I am so very dissapointed.........
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 01:00:21 PM »
Though, with a small minority, beach antics can get out of hand - But only on the naturist end
Hi
There has never been any out of hand activites at the naturist end when we have been there. Early morning some practise their yoga/meditation  or whatever, in complete harmony with others. At least it is the correct place to disrobe, unlike some who do so on the main beaches.
There has never been any issues such as this in the extensive other Hippy Happy Brigade reports. So if you prefer the north end, dont worry
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2018, 03:40:21 PM »
One morning last year we were walking early up to Gravia and  there was a woman stood naked in the shower near the start of the donkey track.

This year we went onto the beach near Gratselas and there were 2 women naked and the sunbed man showed them the sign saying no nudists but they still tried to argue with him before reluctantly getting dressed and leaving.

I'm afraid that people like this will spoil it for those who sensibly keep their nudity to the north beach or the very south end of the beach.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2018, 07:00:08 PM »
All of this is obviously better than the "2 on a scooter" that stopped dead , in the middle of the road , by Mon Amour , Kavaddades. I assume they were looking for somewhere to have a meal. - Good job I kept my distance or they could be eating hospital food tonight.
Negg

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2018, 10:54:49 PM »
I must agree with a lot thats been said about people straddling the road, BUT as a regular visitor my biggesr gripe is about the drink drivers, and sadly a lot of them seem to be locals. Walking back from the beach today, about 5:30 a small red car went past and almost shaved my leg, and yes, I was walking along the verge. After passing me it continued right and was just corrected before it went into a field. It seems walking around Arillas isn’t as safe as it used to be!

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »
It's just the thought of all those "gentle people with flowers in their hair" walking three abreast that frightens me.
 They will not make us cancel! We'll have to live and let live I guess.

I detect a hint of sarcasm there Audrey, lol.

For the record, I refuse to refer to them as 'Hippies' - they're NOT Hippies, on any level!

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 08:41:39 PM »
It is a good point that Dai has made and another that worries nme . If an alcohll fueled driver meets an absent minded family late one evening that could be a very volatile combination. - I am probably over the UK limit , every afteroon , with my Ouzo and a beer but do not abuse the acohol. When Wegg and I go out, in the evening we share a Retsina and Tonic between us. We generally venture home around 10pm and quite often have a vehicle behind us who seems to be trying to get into out boot!! - (They are not happy when I slam on the brakes) Very suprised there is not a lot of road rage around!!
But that straight Arillas road and people not paying attention..................... Well , I hope I never have to read about the possible consequences.
Negg

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 08:55:06 PM »
It's just the thought of all those "gentle people with flowers in their hair" walking three abreast that frightens me.
 They will not make us cancel! We'll have to live and let live I guess.

I detect a hint of sarcasm there Audrey, lol.

I agree Angie. The only way I can define them is a cult yet to be given a name.

For the record, I refuse to refer to them as 'Hippies' - they're NOT Hippies, on any level!

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018, 09:53:00 PM »
I just had to reply. As the folk named Arillas Hippies by dear Eileen, Jen and I have always been part of the love and let love brigade. We both love Arillas in buckets, buckets and buckets. We would wear flowers in our hair if it helped. Jen's hair would support rather a lot of them!

Neill is right - there will one day be a tragedy as a result of these issues. Everyone will wring their hands together, but without an effort to police and stop it we can anly blame ourselves for doing too little.
Phil

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2018, 10:35:43 PM »
Angie - sorry my reply seems to have got mixed up in your post.

To  clarify what I was saying is that I agree with Angie. They are not hippies but a cult with no name yet. Just my opinion.

Phil -  I don't know what we can do other than raise awareness of safety on the roads for everyone and I think Eggy and Dai make very valid points which hopefully will help.

We all need to be more safety aware as we can sometimes forget when we are on holiday to be more careful.

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 11:40:07 AM »
It is a good point that Dai has made and another that worries nme . If an alcohll fueled driver meets an absent minded family late one evening that could be a very volatile combination. - I am probably over the UK limit , every afteroon , with my Ouzo and a beer but do not abuse the acohol. When Wegg and I go out, in the evening we share a Retsina and Tonic between us. We generally venture home around 10pm and quite often have a vehicle behind us who seems to be trying to get into out boot!! - (They are not happy when I slam on the brakes) Very suprised there is not a lot of road rage around!!
But that straight Arillas road and people not paying attention..................... Well , I hope I never have to read about the possible consequences.
Negg
Hi
It seems once we Brits leave home all thoughts of Health and Safety go out of the window. Considering the majority, if not all, H&E legislation originated within the EU, we happily accept ignorance and avoidance of such rules throughout many continental Europe destinations.
It seems that UK authorities enforce all the regulations, albeit to the extreme at times, yet we comply.

In respect of driving habits, no seat belts, no crash helmets, drinking and driving, speeding, parking offences and driving without due care and attention seem to be the norm. It’s not just locals, but holiday makers.
We don’t seem to pack common sense along with our sun tan lotion.

Though I doubt it, it appears that motor vehicles are not subject to the equivalent of any testing standards from the visual defects you often see, such as no working lights, missing door mirrors, smoking exhausts and rusting bodywork etc.
Makes you wonder how effective their brakes and suspension systems are.
If you met one on an unlit road, driven dangerously by a driver under the influence at a junction etc. I suppose you would find out.

There are prolfic Food& Hygiene rules and regulations, again, many of EU origin, which we expect at home to be abided by in shops, hotels and restaurants etc. Yet once on holiday we seem to willingly accept any failings.
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2018, 12:19:23 PM »

Hi

Though I doubt it, it appears that motor vehicles are not subject to the equivalent of any testing standards from the visual defects you often see, such as no working lights, missing door mirrors, smoking exhausts and rusting bodywork etc. From Geoff
Neil that’s you no door mirror  the turkeyfoot will be after you 😂

Kevin

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2018, 12:59:08 PM »
Hi

Though I doubt it, it appears that motor vehicles are not subject to the equivalent of any testing standards from the visual defects you often see, such as no working lights, missing door mirrors, smoking exhausts and rusting bodywork etc. From Geoff
Neil that’s you no door mirror  the turkeyfoot will be after you 😂

Kevin
Hi
You are safe Neil. Yours is now stuck on,I could bring you a new one our soon lol, along with the Colmans you asked for, and hopefully some dart bits

Geoff

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2018, 08:00:22 PM »

Though I doubt it, it appears that motor vehicles are not subject to the equivalent of any testing standards from the visual defects you often see, such as no working lights, missing door mirrors, smoking exhausts and rusting bodywork etc.
Makes you wonder how effective their brakes and suspension systems are.

I believe Greek cars are subject to an MOT type test, the same as here in the UK.

Perhaps Eggy could clarify that?

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2018, 09:15:15 PM »
The system here for licencing and testng a vehicle is very good. - .  Cars have to be tested every 2 years and miss the test date you will be fined, as and when you get it tested. - Licencing/Taxing a vehicle happens on or before 31st December. each year. - Miss that date and your car tax will be extra to include a fine
Don't follow the above and when you decide to sell your car you have to get the above done plus the fines. You cannot sell a vehicle without the relevant paperwork
-- If you take your car off the road , for repairs etc , you have to return the car plates to the vehicle office in Corfu Town. So you are exempt of any fines for missing the MOT/Tax. The vehicle insurance here is that you insure the car not the driver.
All this said it is fair to say that some old vehicles haven"t had an MOT or Tax for some time and that vehicle will probably be abandoned at some future point.
Not worth back tax/MOT if it has been a "few" years without them.

My biggest "gripe" is the UK cars being driven around without TAX/MOT. You cannot tax a UK car here unless you get it registered and without that document you cannot insure it. - .
(As the UK car that drove up my bum a few years back-- He was a worried man and it cost him repairs to my PUNTO plus 2 weeks hire car, which he was more than happy to pay - Good job no one was injured)
I believe the police are now clamping down on this and stopping any suspect vehicle
Cheers
Negg

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2018, 04:14:14 PM »
It pleases my heart today to be sat behind two quad bikes at a reasonable spped with the space between them to allow anyone in a hurry. Coming down into Arillas not only did the first bike signal , to turn left into Tria Adelphia, but the second bike signalled plus a hand signal. (This is were I am Going matey - he says!!!)
This is good driving  and I am impressed. This is road sence and I wish this family the best holiday thay have ever had!!
Negg

Booking.com