Author Topic: Sunbeds  (Read 13560 times)

Offline ValL

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Sunbeds
« on: August 05, 2018, 10:31:11 AM »
Having read a posting on Facebook from someone who was asked to move from a subbed on the beach because it had been reserved and then told she couldn’t eat her own food (an orange), I’m interested in what the licences for sunbeds actually regulate. Whilst understanding businesses now have their own sunbeds on the beach can they now stop people from bringing their own food or drinks or did this particular business overstep the mark
Arillas visitor since 2004 🍹☀️

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Sunbeds
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 10:37:09 AM »
I have just been reading the same post. The whole idea of being on the beach is families/couples enjoying quality time with each other in a relaxed setting and definitely being able to bring sandwiches perhaps pick up a gyros and a couple of beers from
The supermarket.

The better quality sun beds with the cushions are already charging much more in the first place so this should definitely entitle customers to bring their own food surely.

Totally different from using pools and taking own food that obviously is not acceptable but this is totally different. The thing is they are shooting themselves in the foot because I certainly wouldn’t use them now out of principle!

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 10:52:11 AM »
Hi
In Skiathos, Little Banana beach,  2 sun beds and a brolly  cost 20 euro. 5 euro for a bean bag but no brolley. Free if stopping in the complex.
You are not allowed to eat your own food. On site food and drink is very expensive.
On Eleni beach I have recently read that you cant eat your own food
Hope the tread does not spread.
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 12:35:44 PM »
Did they say Val whose sunbeds they were? I posted on here about our experience at the Horizon ones but people did eat their own food and in fact  so did we. Just some fruit and crisps. If they said that to me I would not go back. We did see reserved signs on some sunbeds that were Thalassas.

Offline ValL

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 06:00:37 PM »
The Facebook post said Beach Point And Ammos so I’m not sure which it was
Arillas visitor since 2004 🍹☀️

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 06:50:52 PM »
The main gripe on Facebook was that the beds that they had been using on previous days had been reserved and they were asked to move, not the fact that they didn't like her eating an orange.
The thing is, the businesses concerned actually rent that section  of the beach so to all intents and purposes, those sunbeds and umbrellas are simply an extension of their businesses.
If you think of them as a table in a restaurant, you wouldn't assume that you could sit at your favourite table each night just by virtue of the fact that you'd sat there every night previously - you'd reserve it beforehand if you were really that bothered. And for the original poster of the complaint on Facebook to say that it had ruined her holiday, and wouldn't be returning, is I think, a bit over the top. Just my opinion.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 07:17:58 PM »
Yes I agree we have all had moments on holiday that may annoy but it would take more than having to move to another sunbed to stop me coming!

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
We always use Dimitri's sunbeds which are situated at the North end just to the right as the road ends. Due to his beds not belonging to a restaurant/taverna then it's perfectly ok to take your own food which we often do... amazing feta cheese pies from Ina's re furbished supermarket/coffee bar - great improvement!
Some days we'd leave the beach and pop in somewhere for lunch but as with all sunbeds on the beach i'm sure once you've paid and leave your towels, they are yours for the day.
The |Marinaki apartments are on the sea front and most days we would buy a coffee from there to take to the beach and they were always happy to let us use their toilet and shower ( when the beach showers weren't working one day) but we never ate there or bought any food so some places are obviously more relaxed than others.
As others have said, it certainly wouldn't put me off returning...just use different beds!

Suzy x

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 12:25:53 PM »
I certainty noticed that it is becoming very competitive between the sunbed owners. There were plenty of people using the beds at Ammos so I am surprised. We mostly used Dimitiris beds also down near Gratselas as it is quieter down that end than on the main strip. The only reason why we used the ones at Portofinos that day was because it was so windy and we therefore needed a fixed umbrella. The beds are however a lot more comfortable that are padded such as the ones at Ammos and Portofinos.

I also wouldn't let it stop me from coming, I would also just use someone elses.

Offline Donpipez

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 12:35:24 PM »
Over the Years we have always used beds with cushions - we find them so much more comfortable than those without - 2 x Beds & umbrella with Parasol, Bottle of water & service cost 10 Euro.
I'm not sure how much other beds cost but would imagine 8 Euro? - Quite happy to pay the extra for the comfort.
As regards reserving we are generally on the beach by 9am so have our pick of beds....Have seen beds reserved at Ammos & believe they were Owners/Friends? - We take a walk & go for lunch but leave our towels and never had a problem.
Food/Drinks wise I may buy the occasional drink from whichever establishment we are using but then would pop elsewhere for lunch or buy a sandwich from Alex's - Always have a couple of cans from there in the afternoon and never been told it's not allowed.

We are taking our two Sons, Partners & Grandson to Menorca shortly & looking at sunbed prices there they are charging 20 Euro - I think we will be investing in Mats & Parasols for that trip!!

Neil & Jill

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 01:48:34 PM »
Some friends of ours have just returned from Majorca and the cheapest they found were 12 euros but they were quite a walk from anywhere to buy a drink or food so they invested in a cool bag and put  frozen bottles of water inside which not only kept their food and beers cold but once thawed had the water left to drink also.
They refused to pay 20 euros even if it meant being amongst the eating establishments and shops!
Just a small tip...I always have extra towels on my bed for extra comfort...maybe not as good as the cushioned beds but it was fine for me.

Suzy x

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 02:29:10 PM »
Hi
Val purchased, from Aldi, some containers that look like Tupperware, but they are double skinned, with a liquid between the two walls.
You put these in the freezer and the liquid freezes solid. You can then put salads, for example in them, and the food  stays chilled.
Very affective.
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Booking.com