Author Topic: durrells  (Read 8027 times)

Offline catherinestani

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
durrells
« on: August 13, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »
as anyone every been to the house were the durrells is filmed  as I would love to vist. i have  been to arillas many times  and only been to the Gerald Durrell house thanks hope someone can help

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: durrells
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »
only been to the White House in Kalami which is now a restaurant. I would also love to visit some more of their houses as I think they lived in a few. I also would love to see the house that is used for filming.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 12:25:05 PM »

HI
Yes the white house in Kalami in the 80s it was a museum it was very good
It is worth a visit even now a restaurant
Have been past by boat always loads of people taking photos

kevin

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 01:12:49 PM »

Offline catherinestani

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 11:37:53 AM »
thank you I ll ave a look

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 10:31:01 AM »
My brother and family were having lunch in a Taverna in  Kassiopi a couple of weeks ago and Keely Hawes, her husband and children were at the next table.....
Sandy x

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 07:52:16 PM »
The first thing I would say is that if you have only watched the TV series and not read the actual books (the Corfu trilogy) you are more missing out on so much! I re-visit the books most years as they are absolutely hilarious and I mean laugh out loud hilarious.

A couple of years ago we went in search of the actual Villas the family lived in. We finall Found the ‘strawberry pink’ villa (in perama) was was a lovely moment for me to stand there and imagine the words Gerry had used so elequently in his novels. The White House in Kalami is lovely But the family never lived there! Just Larry and his wife Nancy. If you read his novel prosperos cell this will make the place so much more poignant.

The TV house is in Kontokali which is the next turning after Gouvia and if you approach from the beach you will see the house. The actual daffodil villa is only a few minutes away and it’s gates can be glimpsed from the dual
Carriageway but that’s unfortunately all I have seen if it. And yes I’m a Durrell geek haha

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 05:42:40 PM »
SNAP, was just going to put a posting on almost the same.x

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 02:08:53 PM »
Any body else disappointed in the last episode?

Very 'thin', I thought.

Given the gravity of the situation, very little about the situation itself and what the general atmosphere must have been on the island, very little about some of the characters - Leslie, Lawrence, Gerald - far too much on the 'play', and very little about how it would impact any of the other characters  (e.g.doctor and his wife etc).

Offline Karen/Colin

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 03:19:10 PM »
I thought the last episode was very moving knowing what was to come. I would like to know more about what happened to the locals featured in the stories, Theo, The doctor & his wife & Spiro.

karen

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 03:31:11 PM »
I thought the last episode was very moving knowing what was to come. I would like to know more about what happened to the locals featured in the stories, Theo, The doctor & his wife & Spiro.

karen

Oh, I agree it was very moving, and I was in tears at the end, but I just felt far that less air time should have been given to the play, and far more depth given to some of the other characters, and the situation in general.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 08:46:06 PM »
Yes I was a little disappointed also. Spiro unfortunately died a year later and the romance between him and Louisa never existed unfortunately!

Offline chorltonfiona

• TickerFactory
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 11:00:16 PM »
I'm a Durrell obsessive too Jo!  Loved all the episodes.  Also loved watching the programme about the real family last night. 

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 11:19:53 PM »
I think many people wept when the series finished. I think for some it was tears of joy!! - Yippee.
(Alledgedly , so I am told)
Negg

Booking.com