Author Topic: Corfu Rubbish Situation  (Read 30551 times)

Offline shropshirenick

Corfu Rubbish Situation
« on: September 18, 2018, 12:48:24 AM »
I am visiting Arillas for the first time in July 2019. I must say I am very apprehensive, having heard about the current issues regarding rubbish on the island.
I am interested how regular visitors to Arillas have found the situation this year and if there is any likelihood of any improvement before I visit.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
Re: Corfu Rubbish Situation
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 01:12:52 AM »
Its a long way off is July next year..... anything could happen mate...
This year was fine on the seafront nd just off it but it gets worse as you move away. Being totally honest it wasn't ideal
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline shropshirenick

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 10:24:34 AM »
Truth did you stop mainly in Arillas, or did you get out and about around the island. I would like to hire a car and explore the island, but it doesn't appeal much right now.
Yes, July 2019 is a long way off, but the situation seems to be getting worse, not better. There really doesn't seem to be much progress being made.

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 10:37:27 AM »
We've been visiting for many years and the rubbish situation isn't new, it crops up every now and again. We went around the island in July and, in parts, the rubbish was piled up but in other places there was none at all.  Then there would be a big clear and it would all go..... then it would pile up again in places.    In Arillas itself the locals work very hard to ensure that it is controlled and does not affect the look (or smell!) of the village.
As Truth has said, next near is a long way off and a solution may well be found by then - but whatever happens it won't affect your stay in Arillas.
There is a very good thread on the Corfu forum which is regularly updated with news/info about the situation should you wish to follow it - this link takes you to the last page. http://www.corfu-forum.com/forum/general-discussion/the-corfu-rubbish-situation!!!!!/new/#new

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 10:47:34 AM »
Hi
There is an election in early 2019 but even if a different party is elected there will be no change on the rubbish situation
The current contract for rubbish collection does not expire till Sept 2019. So next year will be the same.
This info we got from Theo ar Arillas Cars.
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline shropshirenick

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 11:46:09 AM »
That doesn't sound too promising.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »
It doesn't Nick , no  !
A few people I spoke to who travelled around this year said it was terrible in places and ok in others , just as Steph says .
I would try not to worry about it too much though mate

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 02:58:00 PM »
Just got back yesterday and in some places rubbish piled up but not on seafront in Arillas but in my opinion it would not be enough of a problem to put me off going. Corfu is still beautiful. You drive miles and miles and see beautiful scenery and then have about 2seconds of driving past overspilling bins. It does need sorting but needs keeping in perspective.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 03:23:04 PM »
Well said Sonia.

Yes, it's a problem , and yes, it needs sorting out but it really isn't the issue for tourists that people are making out.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 04:11:40 PM »
Truth did you stop mainly in Arillas, or did you get out and about around the island. I would like to hire a car and explore the island, but it doesn't appeal much right now.
Yes, July 2019 is a long way off, but the situation seems to be getting worse, not better. There really doesn't seem to be much progress being made.

As Sonia said, the vast majority of the island is still as beautiful as it ever was, and I don't really see the point of worrying about July 2019 when the situation could be completely resolved by then.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 04:22:17 PM »

Hi

it is a issue in Sidari when it is piled up alongside the front wall of the hotel you are staying at the smell
The Galini is piled up and on to the road cars lorrys run over the bags cats dogs ripping bags open
First time in corfu its enough to put you off
along the front yes tidy what about the hoteliers past the Rainbow it starts building up
imagine you pull up out side your hotel or apartments and see all the rubbish piled up what is your first thoughts

the bin men collected the rubbish the fisr tuesday we was out there but by friday it looked like this

And affter two weeks well you can imagine
But i know Arillas and we have already booked for next year

kevin

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 04:34:36 PM »
Yes it would not be nice if staying next to it.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 04:41:45 PM »
Feel sorry for Gallini as its bound to put people off staying there.
It stunk everytime I walked/jogged past there ☹

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 05:33:48 PM »

Hi
Bev was gagging 🤮

Kev

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 06:59:54 PM »
Don't let all you read put a damper on it before you go
ARILLAS is a wonderful place as is the Island.
Yes problems arrise and rubbish can pile up, there is no space left to put it in land fill.
In May there were large piles of rubbish in places in town and along back roads
When we returned in July the rubbish situation had improved.
ARILLAS is well looked after by the locals and they do all they can to ensure you get looked after this includes dealing with the rubbish problem in the village.
On both occasions it failed to spoil our holiday and I'm sure it will not be a problem when we return next week.
YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE ARILLAS. Before you know it you will have 2020 Booked and be wondering what all the rubbish worry was about

Booking.com