Author Topic: Corfu Rubbish Situation  (Read 30718 times)

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
Re: Corfu Rubbish Situation
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 08:09:37 PM »

Hi
John we are only speaking the truth photos don’t lie down front tidy as I have said before out towards the galini Tria and independent apartment  it is not very nice I don’t think you would like it out side your apartment 
We have seen vans cars from the front dumping rubbish at the Galinis bins and not bothered about other hoteliers
Yes Arillas is a great place or we would not be returning

I am only telling how it is reporting. That’s what the forum is all about what is going on

You said once this site is for Arillas well this is
Members would like to know what’s going you can not hide the matter other members have seen the mess
 There is No recycling they have them self’s to blame
I know the landfill site is full but the government should have been looking in to the matter years ago and got site prepared

Kevin

Offline harold

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 09:05:11 PM »
just a thought,last year did they not ship rubbish across to the mainland ,so why are they not doing it this year.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 10:51:14 PM »
Hi
John we are only speaking the truth photos don’t lie down front tidy as I have said before out towards the galini Tria and independent apartment  it is not very nice I don’t think you would like it out side your apartment   
Members would like to know what’s going you can not hide the matter other members have seen the mess

The thing is Kevin, the two sites you have highlighted, I admit, were at times not good but were certainly not representative of the area as a whole.
Also, firstly, I don't think the Galini is open at the moment and the pile of rubbish near the Tria is well away from any buildings so they're not 'outside' anybodys appartments. Secondly, of the thousands of visitors to Arillas during a season, only a very small percentage would actually walk past those two sites.
I believe we were there the same time as you, and for us, although it wasn't pleasant, it wasn't a problem.

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 10:58:30 PM »
Shropshirenick I am sure that as a first time visitor you must be feeling worried by this. This year we stayed at the Bardis Hotel by the beach and I can honestly say the area around there was ok and we had a wonderful holiday.

Offline shropshirenick

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 11:16:54 PM »
I have been to Corfu a couple of times before, but the last time was 30 years ago. We have booked an apartment at the Hotel Marina. It all looks fantastic and Arillas sounds like my kind of place.
When I booked, I was aware of the rubbish issues, but not of how bad the situation is.
Its one of those things, the more you read the more you worry about it. I have paid a non refundable deposit on the apartment, otherwise I think I would cancel my plans. My wife is not fazed one bit though and she is really looking forward to visiting Arillas. Whereas at the moment I would happily lose my deposit and go else where. I guess I will probably listen to the voice of reason, otherwise known as my wife.

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 11:33:14 PM »
The area around the Marina was fine when we were there. Please don't lose your deposit.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 12:03:19 AM »
I didn't mean to trivialise the problem and it does need sorting.

Shropshire nick - the Marina is in a beautiful position and no problems with rubbish around there. In my opinion you could change to a different resort and have a different problem.

Offline shropshirenick

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 12:17:01 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, I think we will probably stick with it. We will have to book the flights imminently, so that will be the point of no return.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 08:22:09 AM »

Hi
The marina no problem very clean
I only mentioned two sites because people know them. The Galini had people staying on the top floor
Bin sites over flowing
The one near the Brouklis
The rainbow
The bakery
The mirage
NOT ONLY TWO SITES
The one at the Tria Philip when empty took the bins away and taped up the area Philip told us you could smell the bins. Some days you could smell the one out side the Galini from the Tria depends on the wind
This problem may not be a problem to some people but it is not nice for others we didn’t mind but the landscape looking down the road and see bags piled up
If you are staying on the front no problem but the holiday makes a bit out it is not nice
This thread is just going around and around and not getting anywhere some people don’t mind and some do

Instead of disagreeing with each other start a petition and send it to the Greek government  it will be a start
I am not putting a damper on Arillas or Corfu I love the place just reporting the situation most probably as we speak the bins are being emptied one can only hope

Kevin

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 02:25:37 PM »
A fair and balanced post Kev 🙂
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 05:24:53 PM »

Hi
The marina no problem very clean
I only mentioned two sites because people know them. The Galini had people staying on the top floor
Bin sites over flowing
The one near the Brouklis
The rainbow
The bakery
The mirage
NOT ONLY TWO SITES
The one at the Tria Philip when empty took the bins away and taped up the area Philip told us you could smell the bins. Some days you could smell the one out side the Galini from the Tria depends on the wind
This problem may not be a problem to some people but it is not nice for others we didn’t mind but the landscape looking down the road and see bags piled up
If you are staying on the front no problem but the holiday makes a bit out it is not nice
This thread is just going around and around and not getting anywhere some people don’t mind and some do

Instead of disagreeing with each other start a petition and send it to the Greek government  it will be a start
I am not putting a damper on Arillas or Corfu I love the place just reporting the situation most probably as we speak the bins are being emptied one can only hope
Kevin
Hi
I dont think its much to do with the central Greek goverment. Its the local polictics and Mayor. As my previous post said:

''There is an election in early 2019, but even if a different party is elected there will be no change on the rubbish situation.
The current contract for rubbish collection does not expire till Sept 2019. So next year will be the same.
This info we got from Theo at Arillas Cars.''
Who knows?
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline thinwhiteduke

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 05:14:25 PM »
It was disgusting in August! Every time you went for a walk you had to go past piles of stinking rubbish in that heat. Not going back in the near future.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 06:39:13 PM »

Hi thinwhiteduke
I am sorry this spoiled your holiday it’s not the people of Arillas or Corfu it’s the Athens government did not have a plan once the land fill site was full. They can ship the rubbish to the mainland but the government do not want to spend they rather lose holiday makers and lose money in taxes the Greek government are twenty years behind sorry to say
I am working on a on line petition to send to The Corfu parliament I know some people will say it will do no good but you got try you never know

Us members go out from once to three time a year so Arillas has got something  so keep follow this thread and see what happens

Kevin

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »
there was an online petition over the rubbish i remember signing it,but cannot remember the link
Harold,

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 07:03:30 PM »
Harold,

Booking.com