Author Topic: Corfu Rubbish Situation  (Read 30546 times)

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
Re: Corfu Rubbish Situation
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »

Hi
Yes I can understand paying all that money to go on holiday and you get a smelly old bin outside
And not a nice site
Rubbish will not stop us returning all booked for next year

Kevin

Offline harold

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2018, 05:32:11 PM »
the situation is not as bad as it sounds on here,i saw 3 overflowing bins between the airport and Arillas. Today Sally and i walked around the resort and did not see any problems at all
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2018, 07:09:37 PM »

Hi
Thanks Harold hopefully they got there act together and sorted out the problem fingers crossed

Kevin

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2018, 08:52:04 PM »
Hi
I think many people, due to loyalty to something or somewhere, see things through rose tinted glasses.
It is difficult to accept criticism of something or somewhere we are happy and content with.
We make excuses to defend something or somewhere we are familiar and comfortable  with. Be it one of our favourite holiday idyll or restaurant etc.
 ‘’It was a one off’’. ‘’It’s an exception’’. ‘’It’s not really a problem’’.

The reality is, that seen through a fresh pair of eyes, the actuality is seen. An unpleasant situation and experience.

I have a pair of such glasses. I rarely recommend places for that reason. Be it home or abroad. So I hope I do  not get any vitriolic replies.

We walk, what we call the back road, from the Mathraki to the beach. Every day there was an over flowing bin. Its contents spread across the road by cats, dogs or foxes (yes they do have them in Corfu). The fragrance was far from desirable. The visual impact was negative.
To watch the locals on their mopeds carrying multiple sacks of rubbish and just throwing them on the pile without stopping, is not a particularly good image of anywhere.
The taxi from the airport passed many such overflowing rubbish sites.

Hopefully the 2019 elections will see a new Mayor elected who will grasp the mettle of the situation and its impact on visitors.
Having spoken to Nico at the Matharaki about the situation, I said I would vote for him as Mayor in the elections to resolve the issue.
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2018, 01:34:14 AM »
I still maintain, for the majority of tourists in Arillas, the rubbish is not an issue.
I don't think I am looking thru rose-tinted glasses, I think I am being realistic and objective.
Firstly. in and around Arillas, the rubbish collection points are well away from apartments and restaurants, and for the few people who do have to walk past them it's no more than a couple of seconds of unpleasantness
Secondly, this is an exceptional situation, that hopefully will be resolved in the not too distant future but in the meantime is being managed admirably well and to the best of their ability, by the locals
Thirdly, in Arillas it's not the 'HEAPS' or 'MOUNTAINS' of rubbish that other resorts are having to contend with. If you visit other popular resorts , not only in Greece, but around the world, for example in Africa, the Caribbean , or the Far East, you will see far worse, that is accepted as the norm.

The rubbish is Arillas is NOT an issue.

Please can we keep it in perspective.

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »
Took a stroll around the loop from Rainbow via Tria, back lane, along the front and back to Rainbow
all tidy and clean
The picture Kev posted by the Tria  is no more all the rubbish has gone all that remains is the red and white tape
Tidy in all other places also.
Cleanest I have seen it this year
TOP JOB DONE.
Will build back until the authorities
 resolve the situation
HAVING A FANTASTIC TIME
IN THIS FABULOUS PLACE

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2018, 01:57:28 PM »

HI GUYS

A BIG thank you for your report John great news. You know some greeks take one step forward and two back BUT get there in the end well done ARILLAS

kevin

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2018, 05:27:33 PM »
Great news. Thanks for sharing Eggy.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2018, 08:06:48 PM »

Hi

Thanks Mr eggy good news

Kev

Offline CarlMac

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2019, 12:34:57 PM »
Hi all

I’m new to the forum! Me and my family are due to visit Corfu and Arillas for the first time in July. Arillas looks lovely and we booked it because it looks perfect for me and my family.

However I’ve started to get a little concerned about the rubbish situation on the island itself to the point where it’s worrying me about visiting.

Conflicting reports on TripAdvisor etc don’t help to ease the mind unfortunately.

I’ve contacted TUI who I’ve booked with regarding my concerns and they have been quite dismissive and deny that they’ve even heard of the issue.

It will cost me a further £200 to change my holiday to another island.

Am I over worrying about the issue? Is the problem on going in arillas? I can see the locals are doing their upmost to sort it out with the recycling center but I’m really in two minds on what to do especially as I have two children to think about.

Sorry my first post is a negative one I just want my holiday to be as enjoyable as possible for me and my family.

Many Thanks

Carl

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2019, 02:31:50 PM »
Welcome aboard.
All I can say is This place is special,
The rubbish situation around Arillas has not been a problem for us
We are regular visitors and have not been put off by any rubbish problems, last summer we visited three times and did not come across any problems relating to the rubbish.
The locals take a pride in their village and keep the area as clean as they can.
Forget about changing your holiday and stay with your booking.
You will love Arillas
Be Warned Arillas will keep you forever.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2019, 03:08:48 PM »

Hi
You will love Arillas it’s so friendly and the food is great you will be back guarantee
Arillas is like a magnet it pulls you back

Kevin

Offline CarlMac

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2019, 09:29:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply’s guys it does make me feel better about visiting.

Everything you’ve said about Arillas is the reason why we booked! I’ve been looking forward to our holiday since we booked it almost 12 months ago!

TUI have now replied saying they are looking into the rubbish issue for me- at least that’s something after dismissing it at first.

Thanks again for the replies guys!

Carl

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2019, 08:27:21 AM »

HI CarlMac

you are staying at the kaloudis village apartments arillas if going with TUI you will love it at the spish splash pool bar you got Billy and his wife surviving meals and drinks and the on site shop is , Rula who will help in anyway they can to make your holiday enjoyable

kev

Booking.com