Author Topic: Corfu Rubbish Situation  (Read 30710 times)

Offline CarlMac

Re: Corfu Rubbish Situation
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2019, 11:07:16 AM »
Hi Kev

Yes we’re staying at Kaloudis Village. It looks lovely!

I’m in a positive mindset today and I’m just going to start looking forward to my holiday to Arillas and unless TUI recommend otherwise we will be coming in July!

I can’t wait!

Offline june

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2019, 06:29:41 PM »
We first went to Kaloudis in 2000. We've had to miss a few years due to family commitments but it's still as pristine as the first year we went and the family are still as lovely. The rooms are typical Greek but very well cared for and the grounds are lovely with never any litter about.
The pool is good size and plenty of beds always available.
Last air con was still 5Euro per night per unit and WiFi was free in the rooms but a small charge at the bar.
Hop year love it as much as we always have

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2019, 10:52:54 PM »
Hi
I have followed this thread with interest. I would like to respond, hoping it does not lead to many vitriolic responses. The problem cannot be denied.

I feel my efforts in contributing to keep Arillas tidy have been proven in the past. Notably on the North Beach. This cannot be denied as I received a lot of support via the Forum. Even a number of years on the standard has been maintained. I have worked with the Keep Arillas Tidy Committee.

I detest untidiness.

I love Arillas. It meets all expectations of a traditional friendly Greek resort. Great hospitality. Great food. The Greeks are gregarious hosts whatever resort you frequent, whatever Greek island you are on. It’s seems to be, thankfully, in their nature.

In regards to the rubbish surrounding the village Arillas there has been a problem in recent past years. It cannot be denied if you look at previous threads on this forum.
I am not a Trip Adviser follower, but it’s obvious the concern has been reported on this site as well.

September 2018 you could see bags of rubbish seemingly moving along the roads of their own accord, which were in fact mopeds, presumably driven by locals, early in in the day, dumping their rubbish haphazardly on the outskirts of the village. It’s amazing how many sacks of rubbish you can get onto a moped.
Indeed it seemed outside all villlages the problem was prevalent.

Whether or not the local recycling programme will alleviate the situation I don’t know. There has been a problem with the council tip on the island, exacerbated by the refuse collectors etc. in the past few years.  Time will tell if this year will be different. I sincerely hope so.

We are already booked for 2019 and waiting to book for 2020 so we are not unduly perturbed .

The Kaloudis Village is spotless. The staff can be seen cleaning the approaching road daily as do all the hotels and bars in the actual village.

As I said on this thread previously you can take a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. Time will tell if the local initiative of recycling will be successful. It still needs a desire and motivation to be successful.

Visit,  enjoy your holiday, and make your own decisions.

Geoff

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2019, 04:51:55 PM »
There is nothing , in Geoff's post , that I cannot disagree with. - These are poor photos of the Arillas re-cycle centre, for your interest. (Not good at photos!!)

I am told you will NOT see any large bins, along the Sea front, this Summer. Many here are giving full commitment, as workers and users to make Arillas one of the best and tidiest places to be for your holiday break. But..... it is only as good as who takes the time to use and appreciate these facilities!!
My advice to all you guys who "wanna do yer bit" is speak with your appt owners and ask the question. "How should I split my rubbish, to make is easier for your cleaners , or... do I dispose of it myself??"- Villa owners , in Arillas, are looking at the different bins needed for the convenience of thier guests.
I am confident you guys will notice this , and many other changes , this Summer.
Cheers
Negg

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2019, 04:30:18 PM »
and....... just to add that Wegg was in Ag Stehanos , yesterday , and all looked very good. I was in Ag, George , the day before and the sea front was clean n tidy.
Today , on my way from Kavaddades to Sidari , all bins were very respectable with most empty.
Sidari seem to be experimating with centralising all thier rubbish , so the road , from Sidari to Roda , has a lot of rubbish on the left hand side, as you leave Sidari.
But . although an eyesore at the moment, let's give it time and see. If it keeps all else clear it could be worth it.
Cheers
Negg

Offline mikebentleyturbo2

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2019, 05:04:40 PM »
Hi All
Has the rubbish been cleared from the road by the football ground?
Cheers
Mike

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2019, 03:57:01 PM »
I have nothing further to add other than to also say you will fall in love with Arillas. We first went when our kids were 11 and 8 and they are now 28 and 25 and live the place as much as we do and still holiday in Arillas. We will be there again for our 10th visit and we ompared to some forum members are newbies.

Welcome to the forum Carl

Booking.com