Welcome to Arillas > Walking in Arillas and north west Corfu

Walking around corfu

(1/145) > >>

kevin-beverly:

HI

My nane is Kevin i have been a horticulturist since 1984 went to capel manor college for three years ang got all city and guilds 1 - 2 - 3. As some members know the last twenty years i work in south kensington london a lovely job and met some famous people. The gardens i worked in we had to be careful with some plants because children are using the garden. We are talking about poisonous plants well most plants are poisonous some very toxic plants and others just give you a rash.

On holiday this year in Arillas i saw a couple holding a Angel's trumpets flower [ Brugmansia were once known as Datura ]
this is a very poisonous plant they were taking photos of the flower head i went over to tell them but they looked at me if i had to much ouzo so i left them to it.
I am not trying to frighten you but be aware be safe and have a good holiday and not sitting in A&E

We all walk around Arillas and see some lovely plants different times of the year

Neil sent me a photo it was a Ecballium Elaterium but it is more commonly referred to as the "exploding cucumber" or "squirting cucumber".the seeds you can eat but the plant is  poisonous

So if the boss lets me i woud like to list plants what are poisonous and to be aware of and other good plants to touch the plants and be safe  all with photos

If you got any questions home or abroad get in touch with photos and good details of the plant

kev

TerryW:
I can remember seeing  Bev and yourself, in the day time,  at Broulis one day about five years ago. Dimitris gave us both some grapes to try, and he did warn us to wash them first. As we walked back to the sea front I stopped to talk to Theo, he saw the grapes and also said wash them before eating them. But, I was dying to try them as I thought that a little bit of dirt won't hurt me, so I put one in my mouth. I wished I hadn't as I thought my mouth was on fire with a mouthful of "mustard". It was the spray on them that was the problem not any dust or dirt. So, the moral is, when walking around the village "listen to what people tell you". Did you wash yours Kev? :-)

kevin-beverly:

HI Terry

well i am still here i can not rember i have had to many ouzos since then haha its the ouzo saved me

kevin

kevin-beverly:

DONT BE SCARED WE ALL GOT POISON PLANTS IN OUR GARDENS

HI

We start with A

Scientific name: Aconitum variegatum
Higher classification: Wolf's bane - European monkshood

Aconitum ( known as monkshood or wolfsbane) is a perennial herb often grown as an ornamental plant due to its attractive blue to dark purple flowers. All parts of the plant, especially the roots, contain toxins. Aconitine is the most dangerous of these toxins. It is most noted as a heart poison but is also a potent nerve poison. Raw aconite plants are very poisonous.They are used as herbs only after processing by boiling or steaming to reduce their toxicity.

Poisioning from the aconitum plant can occur if it is ingested or handled without gloves. ... Aconitum is also known as monkshood and devil's helmet due to its resemblance to a drawn hood, and is known by some as wolfsbane, because its poison is so toxic that it was once used to kill wolves Marked symptoms may appear almost immediately, usually not later than one hour, and "with large doses death is almost instantaneous". Death usually occurs within two to six hours in fatal poisoning (20 to 40 ml of tincture may prove fatal). The initial signs are gastrointestinal, including nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. This is followed by a sensation of burning, tingling, and numbness in the mouth and face, and of burning in the abdomen ALL WAYS GET MEDICAL ADVICE

kevin-beverly:

HI

Greece has much to offer besides its stunning history and breathtaking coastal areas. Greece has over 900 different species of wildlife and over 5,000 species of flora within its borders. Over Greece's glamorous history, many plants have been introduced to Greece and have become a recognized part of Greece's landscape. Many plants are rooted deep in Greek mythology. Greece also hosts some of Europe's largest and scariest animals--both on land and in the sea.

Land Animals
In the Findus Mountains, located in western Greece, brown bears roam. These bears are the largest carnivorous mammal in mainland Europe. The Eurasian lynx and the western roe deer call Greece's mountainous regions home. In the south, the wild boar and brown hare can still be found. The golden jackal and the western European hedgehog also live in the south.

Large Aquatic Animals
Greece is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea and has thousands of islands within its borders. The Monk Seal and the Mediterranean sea turtle are listed on Greece's endangered species list. A number of sharks also live in Greece's coastal waters. These species include the Hammerhead shark, Blue Shark, and the Great White Shark.

Birds
The Minvera owl is considered a symbol of Athena, who had the city of Athens dedicated to her. This bird is depicted on the 1 Euro coin. The Pilgrim Falcon and the Upupa Epops birds inhabit the mountainous and forested areas. The pelican, stork, and the egretta birds love the copious amounts of coastal and lake areas.

Trees
Greece has had many trees imported and established over the time it has been involved in world trade and conquest. The olive and carob trees are established in Greece now, but were originally from Africa and the Middle East. The pomegranate and laurel trees have a presence in Greek mythology and sporting tradition. The mastic tree was used as a glue, embalming material, and even to fill cavities.

Flowers
Many of the flowers that grow in Greece's countryside are connected to Greek folklore and history. The hyacinth flower, which clings to Greece's rockier areas, was created by the blood of Hyacinthus, a lover of Apollo, a Greek god. Daffodils--which thrive in rocky, arid areas--were seen as symbols of death and reputedly covered Hades, the god of the underworld. Orchids, cliff roses, and Christ's thorn are all flowers that thrive in Greece's rocky and dry areas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version