Author Topic: DEET Poisoning  (Read 2122 times)

Offline John n Shirl

DEET Poisoning
« on: November 04, 2018, 02:57:41 PM »
HI all,

Last August on our return from Arillas, I posted a message regarding the use of Mosquito repellent in enclosed spaces and in particular items containing the active ingredient DEET.

Just to recap, on our last night while out eating in one of the fine restaurants on the beach front, a female holiday maker from London, decided to spray the whole of her face and head with the stuff. She was sat so close to us that the spray condensed on my glasses and was running off the lenses. About 30 minutes later, I developed a hoarse cough that continued all the way home on the flight and a further two months. This cough has since developed into a double lung infection and cough syncope which results in my blood pressure dropping while coughing and losing consciousness a broken nose as I hit the floor on one occasion (yes I do laugh at that), and a visit to our local AnE. I have since had to take three weeks off work and as part of a nursing team on a secure psychiatric ward, has had a knock on effect for not only my all ready overstretched colleagues but also our patients.

Though I cannot prove that this was the root cause of the infection, it is highly probable.

I also get eaten by mosquitoes and therefore myself use insecticides that contain DEET. However, always in the open and certainly not in a bar or restaurant where other holiday makers or locals are drinking or eating. 

Maybe it would be an idea if restaurant owners and bar staff ask guests not to use this practice and if they need to use a spray, just walk out onto the road and use it there.

Looking forward to our return in May 2019.

John and Shirley

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
Re: DEET Poisoning
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear about your health problems John, but I doubt very much that DEET was the cause. Although DEET can have known side-effects when exposed to large quantities, and over a prolonged period, there in no evidence of it causing lung infections etc. I suspect you had already contracted some kind of a virus perhaps, the symptoms coincidently only appearing after the incident you've described.
That said, I do agree that it was very thoughtless and inconsiderate for the lady in question to apply it in that manner, and in that situation.

Online Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 12:34:53 AM »
Bloody hell John ! Thats terrible !
I hope you're feeling better now mate, you take care .
All the best
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 12:50:39 PM »
Sorry to hear this John. Very inconsiderate of this person. Also extremely surprised she was sparying it on her face as I would have thought it could get in your eyes.  I never spray it on my face  and I  use the spray outside on the balcony before we go out for dinner but I do carry a roll on insect repellent in my handbag which I re-apply during the evening. I wouldn't be surprised if it could make you ill as I know what it can do to nail varnish ie strip it off. I also have had it strip the colour out of my sandals.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Thanks for the warning.

Booking.com