Author Topic: Voluntary Recycling Centre in Arillas  (Read 5611 times)

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
Voluntary Recycling Centre in Arillas
« on: February 01, 2019, 11:47:27 PM »
Hello again here is my latest artice about the situation of rubich in Corfu and specialy Arillas.
Tomorrow we start cleaning up an area where this is going to start .
it wil be at the  abandoned old concrete-shell next to the "jehovah witness" house on the main road between Brouklis Taverna and Athina Taverna.
The property belongs to the family of Irini from KOSTAS ON THE BEACH . They are offering their property for free for that purpose.

I hope it will help... there is no other way...
Read and share full article here: http://www.arillas.com/recycling

Since June 2018, various recycling centres have been established in Corfu.
In an attempt to protect the environment, the economy and the health of the people of the surrounding villages, to support the economic activity and the jobs, far from solutions such as “landfills”, the people at a district, village, and neighbourhood level, have already undertaken initiatives to reduce the volume of their waste.
During the year 2018, our island experienced a very difficult situation as regards garbage management. The very moment when all civilized countries gain health and energy from litter, we bury them, burn them or even throw them in improvised landfills; this means that we conscientiously create sources of fire and pollute the air, the soil and the water and, icing on the cake, we upload pictures of mountains of garbage which travel all around the world.
The source separation of recyclables, their re-use, even their composting, wherever this is possible.
 There has been a mobilization by local initiatives of people, cultural associations, voluntary groups, small recycling cooperatives, etc. which have been activated and are changing the game by creating small recycling centres.
 Up to this day, such centres are found in Liapades, Spartylas, Sinies, Lefkimmi, Temploni, Pagi and in Dassia. More information on each centre is given further down.

The Arillas business association
, after a consultation procedure, managed to find a temporary spot at a central location of the village in order to create a Recycling centre for the voluntary recycling of materials in our area.
 This spot will be part of an integrated organized pilot project for the area of Arillas which includes the removal of bins from the central places of the area and the establishment of community points spots with public or private bins used exclusively by the registered citizens of each neighbouhood.
Thus, the uncontrolled discarding of composite materials and all sorts of garbage at central places by passers-by is avoided.
 Businesses must use simple methods (composting, etc} which will not add leftovers and organic waste onto the bins. They must manage their own bins in such a way as to have as little waste as possible and to be responsible for the area where they keep them till their collection.

Certain small hotel and unit owners of our area already have suggested installing a row of small bins in their area where their guests may directly separate waste materials up to 6 different streams.

The local households must cooperate in each neighbourhood and be responsible for the clean and orderly appearance of all areas where they will have the bins under their responsibility.

All the local stakeholders of the region (cultural association, Sports club, local councils and voluntary groups) will take part in the dissemination, information, encouragement and education as regards this pilot project which, in our view, is the only possible way, no matter what political decisions will be made by the “responsible” bodies in the future.

Then, with the support of the Municipality and the government, we must all put pressure to abolish the large discarding spots with the huge piles of garbage during the summer season. If the same picture we had last year reappears this year, the consequences will be serious not only for the tourism sector but also for our health and safety.

Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Voluntary Recycling Centre in Arillas
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 01:39:58 PM »
Well done Dimitris for organising this, and well done to the local businesses for taking part.

Great job.

Angie
xxx

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 11:37:42 PM »
Wonderful positive news well done Arillas! X

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 11:40:41 AM »
Hi
I agree.
The facilities provided have to used though. This is sometimes the hardest part. The  mentality of  litter louts who just openly discard thier own rubbish and expect others to clean up behind them is a frustrating situation. The mindset of these people is difficult to change.
You can take a horse to water but you cant make it drink.
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 12:38:31 PM »
With all due respect Geoff, the rubbish problems experienced in Corfu recently, were caused largely by the amount going to landfill, not litter louts (- altho' I accept your comments regarding changing their mentality). I'm sure providing the facility to recycle can only help the situation. I know, as tourists, the majority of the rubbish we produce is plastic and glass bottles. If there is the facility to recycle, we will certainly be taking advantage of it.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 04:52:23 PM »

Hi
You got to give it a go or things will ge worst none of us want that especially in Arillas and on Corfu it self
As long the bin men empty the bins regularly or it will all pile up and the rubbish will get mixed up so it will be a waste of time I hope not

Well done Arillas

Kevin

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 05:18:48 PM »
If you recycle in the UK then, there is no reason why you cannot recycle in Corfu...... and now Arillas.
Negg

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 05:24:17 PM »
Absolutely agree, Eggy. Well done to everybody that has been involved in this. I know a few off you have been pushing for this a long time. Lets just hope that everybody does their bit to help.

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 06:24:16 PM »
I think probably one of the best things we can do as tourists (apart from actually taking our recycling items to the bins ourselves), is to put everything in separate bags in the apartments/rooms, and not leave it for the maids to sort out.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 01:09:19 PM »
I am so pleased about this development and look forward to seeing it being well-used in Arillas. Well done Dimitri!
Sandy x

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 01:15:11 PM »
This is really good news indeed! I for one will be happy to be able to do my bit for the environment where ever I am. Power to the people! After all I live in Tooting 8)
Life is good ;)

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 04:39:01 PM »
Thanks to all in Arillas and you young man (Dimitri) for doing many things for our comforts and requests.     See you in a few weeks so start finding a new place to try hide in. Love to all.

Booking.com