Author Topic: Food Highlights Arillas 2019  (Read 17467 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Food Highlights Arillas 2019
« on: August 13, 2019, 11:56:41 PM »
Unfortunately our 2019 blissful holiday is now a thing of the past and proper depression is setting in!! However, in the midst of this post Arillas gloom I have been pondering my favourite meals this year..

I would have to say my numero uno and -SHOCK- even overtaking the Brouklis Lamb chops is.......

Bifteki (at Brouklis!) oh my. The succulent beef patty oozing with cheese was simply divine. PLEASE GOD try this before you leave!

Another favourite was the splendid Sofrito at Efthicia. Wow. Huge portion but I tried my very best let me tell you!

Best Greek salad was at Gratsela. I think maybe coupled with that perfect view there is nowhere better to enjoy that first taste of true Greek cuisine and the unbelievable tomatoes. I’m not even that keen on tomatoes but I swear I could live off the tomatoes in Arillas!

Perfect Souvlaki at Effies and Brouklis also and Mick always says the Mousakka at Brouklis is second to none!

Beautiful steak followed by unreal brownies at Night Owl

I really could go on and on! What were your highlights this year?

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Food Highlights Arillas 2019
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 06:50:32 PM »
Jo , I am a great fan of bifteki and I have moved away fron Brouklis Lamb to enjoy the bifeki they serve,
The top 3 biftekis are... (for me)
1. Mon Amour , Kavadaddes, with or without the cheese.
2, Brouklis - For some reason I prefer this with the cheese.
3. Bavias .The place nearly opposite the freezer centre , in Sidari. Stuffed however you want it. Bacon , cheese and peppers is an option.

Difficult for me to seperate these three. - Mon Amour is slight favourite for me , though , as it is closer to where we live and we can get a takeawy.

Can't comment on Stiffado and the like as I am not keen on the spicy/tomatoey Greek cuisine.
Cheers
Negg

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 08:33:15 PM »
It's so difficult to choose in Arillas  but Kleftiko at Vinceremos probably. Also love the mussels in lemon and garlic at Gratselas and the fish at Vavillas.

However the best meal we had this summer was the seafood platter at Agni Taverna at Agni bay closely followed by a meal at Romeos in Pagi. 

Oh. I feel hungry and depressed now.

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 10:25:17 PM »
Oh I feel your pain - it took a week for me to reboot after being so chilled in Arillas this year and my goodness, the blues did hit! My highlights this year were
Baked feta (with tomatoes & oregano) at Brouklis - just amazing tastes for such a simple dish
Prawn saganaki at Grastela - superb! (and they took the heads off because I'm squeamish! :-) )
Pork chop in red wine with mushrooms, again at Gratsela .
Bifteki at Bouyata

For hubby, it would be
Red snapper at Marina
Sardines at Kosta's on the Beach

Food in general at Bouyata and Mon Amour

Best house wine - Mon Amour (hubby sampled a lot!!!)

Whilst those are our 'stand outs' we didn't have a bad meal anywhere.  Choosing where to eat and then what to eat is very much the highlight of our day :-) and we had some really fabulous food.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 09:26:35 AM »
It was a shame for Portifino’s this year as was near enough empty most days and nights.  I’m sure this has lots to do with Spiro not being there this year. Usually it’s packed out. I felt that Kostas on the beach was very quiet also. How did people find the food in those two?

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 11:10:13 AM »
Kostas was really busy most of the time we were there - early July.  Some nights it was full (outside seating area).  Really enjoyed the food there - think we ate there twice but tend to spread the love out and visit various places!

Offline Scottishyannis

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 11:33:36 AM »
Only 40 more days until it's my turn to sample all these culinary delights and of course a few pints of Mythos to wash it down Scottish Yannis 🍺🍻🍷🍾u

Offline Karen/Colin

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 03:18:48 PM »
It was a shame for Portifino’s this year as was near enough empty most days and nights.  I’m sure this has lots to do with Spiro not being there this year. Usually it’s packed out. I felt that Kostas on the beach was very quiet also. How did people find the food in those two?
We thoughts too about Portofino. It seemed to have lost some of its sparkle.
Kostas is lovely, I had a lovely stuffed chicken breast. I personally can't complain about any of the meals we had. Our usual first day lunch at effis of tzatziki, sardines & Greek salad was up to its usual standard. Hubby was impressed with Bouyata. I would find it impossible to pick a favourite meal
Karen
X

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 05:08:15 PM »
I quite often visit "Beach Kostas" for an afternoon "Tonic Water" - I enter and leave via the kitchen so I can say that, much is freshly prepared.
(Just as Brouklis kitchen when I used to sneak in there. ---- and or course many other eateries.
(The other day , Kostas Vasillis was slicing beefsteak from a fresh joint, just bought. - I wanted to buy a couple and take home for the freezer.)
Many lunchtimes I have sneaked a taste at sofrito and the like , but don't tell em.

Good food at many places, but all can be quiet now as , with the heat , the appetite can be lost.
We haven't eaten out for 3 weeks so have a big catchup to do when the temp drops!!!!
Cheers
Negg

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 09:02:36 PM »
We went to Portofino twice this year and first time we have eaten there.  First night was very busy and took us 20 minutes just to get a drink but the Greek lamb was delicious but the veg with it was very bland.  When we asked for the bill we got a free drink but when we went to leave Sabrina almost begged us to stay and we felt quite uncomfortable.  Second time we went the service was better but my meal only had 2 roast potatoes with it. I asked if any more and was told had run out and could have some chips. I would go back however as reasonable price but very mixed experience.

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 05:11:43 PM »
Hi
In arillas at the moment.
On the subject of food and service .   So far this year only one place I would never visit again. From when I first walked in I did not like the modern decor and environment. When my mixed grill arrived my second issue was it was served on a wooden board topped with some type of paper. I prefer porcelain plates. My third issue was it was so dry and over cooked I couldn’t eat it.
First went there when it opened some 3 years ago for fresh fish and chips. It was frozen fish.
I was persuaded to go back for a second time this year.
Don’t think there will be third time when there places like Athina so much consistently better.
Geoff

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 05:29:16 PM »
Not a great fan of wooden plates etc etc but fair play for giving it another try , Geoff.
Probably not for you and possibly not for me but for others??? - I think I know the place and so many good reports , this Summer.
Somewhere we will visit before October with, just as you did ,  an open mind. - Should I take mustard with me??
Mathraki doing you both proud , I trust??
Cheers
Negg

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 05:56:28 PM »
I think I know the place too , as Eggy says it has some great write ups this year. I liked it last year when I went.
I was a little disappointed in Athina this year to be honest , it was ok but not as good as previous years.
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 06:02:39 PM »
Not a great fan of wooden plates etc etc but fair play for giving it another try , Geoff.
Probably not for you and possibly not for me but for others??? - I think I know the place and so many good reports , this Summer.
Somewhere we will visit before October with, just as you did ,  an open mind. - Should I take mustard with me??
Mathraki doing you both proud , I trust??
Cheers
Negg
Hi
You definitely need mustard.
Ate at the Mathraki recently. As usual excellent food, good presentation and plenty of it
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 08:26:25 PM »
I wont eat anywhere that serves food on wooden boards - even if a piece of paper between the food an it.

Booking.com