Author Topic: Directions from the airport  (Read 16273 times)

Offline willmakin

Directions from the airport
« on: August 29, 2019, 06:51:30 PM »
Hi everyone

Arillas Virgins here.

We’re coming for the first time next week and have hired a car to pick up at the airport. Can any of you give me any tips as to navigating Corfu town and help with the drive from there to Arillas please?

Many thanks

Will

Offline Barry

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Re: Directions from the airport
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 08:13:18 PM »
Go onto youtube  and type in " the journey from corfu airport to arillas "
There is a real time dash cam film of the  journey. Done it a few times and will be doing it again next week.
Hope it helps
Barry and Christine.

First time? Guarantee it won't be your last.

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 11:09:59 AM »
The route isn't too bad once you're out of Corfu town - it's just getting out of Corfu Town that's the potentially difficult bit!  The first time we had to navigate it we just followed the coast road, round past the port (essentially, just keep right on leaving the airport!) and you end up at the main road traffic lights to take you North and it's pretty much ok from there. 
 If you have a smart phone,download an offline map (Navmii for iphone is great,  MapFactor GPS for android) to safely navigate you there instead of trying to read a map or instructions.  Offline ones won't gobble data like using googlemaps.   

If you don't have a paper map I'd suggest getting one of these anyway- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corfu-Toeristische-wegenkaart-50-000/dp/3707909565    the ones that come with a rental are about 25 miles to an inch, and it's cheaper than a divorce!

Hope you get there ok - it will be worth it! :)

Offline willmakin

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 12:07:05 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I’ve looked at the YouTube vid and downloaded Navmii, so hopefully I won’t get lost!

Seriously though, both a great help, huge kudos and thanks

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 02:39:12 PM »
Happy to be of help. Make sure you check the Navmii app and download the Greece maps before you go - it's not part of the inital download with the app, which is just UK and Ireland.  Click on 'World Maps' and enter Greece into the search in the app it'll come up (it's  in the list but a long way down, they seem to be grouped oddly) and it's a free download. Some places in Arillas are listed as Arilas - one and the same.    Do consider getting a good paper map - despite knowing the island well and using Navmii, we still use the paper one a lot. 
Have a great time when it comes. 

Offline willmakin

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 02:06:57 PM »
Thanks again. Got the NavMii app, and a good map, but in the event we were met at the airport by Theo’s dad who drove us all the way to Arillas. So I did all that fretting for nothing!

Cheers to you all.

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 02:28:28 PM »
Ah well, at least you're prepared for any further adventures!
Have a great time.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 03:52:57 PM »
Have a look at these videos, Barry, from a previous post

https://www.arillas.com/forum/index.php/topic,10091.msg138608.html#msg138608

Booking.com