Author Topic: just seen this Naked yoga on Arillas beach?  (Read 6333 times)

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
just seen this Naked yoga on Arillas beach?
« on: December 11, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »
Just seen these lines written ... I remember now that I was interviewed by dr  Heather  a couple of years ago....

by Dr Heather Skinner and  Pepé Soomers
In a special issue of the International Journal of Tourism Anthropology focusing on “Niche Tourism and Residents’ Well-Being in Island Destinations” Dr Heather Skinner, IPM Senior Fellow and Chair of the IPM’s Visiting Places Special Interest Group, and Pepé Soomers, an independent researcher and member of the spiritual community in the small village of Arillas situated in the North West of the Greek island of Corfu, have written an article based on their research into the way spiritual tourism has had a transformational effect on the place and its residents.
 >Skinner, H. and Soomers, P. (2019) ‘Spiritual tourism on the island of Corfu: Positive impacts of niche tourism versus the challenges of contested space’ International Journal of Tourism Anthropology, 7(10), pp. 21-39. DOI: 10.1504/IJTA.2019.098099 Corfu is a relatively small island, only 64km in length and 32km at its widest point, with a permanent resident population of around 120,000, 40% of which live in the main town. The island, situated between the East of the boot of Italy, and West of the border between Greece and Albania, has attracted tourists since the late 1960s and early 1970s. However, since the boom time of the 1980s and early 1990s there has been a decline in numbers of tourists visiting the island. Those that do visit, especially those taking All-Inclusive packages, are spending less time and money in local tourism-related businesses such as restaurants, tavernas, bars and shops. The tourist season that used to see resorts all across the island full of holidaymakers from April to October is now basically reduced to the high season of July and August in many places.

read the whole article here
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
Re: just seen this Naked yoga on Arillas beach?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 04:33:25 PM »

Hi

My response is a lot of older generation can not afford high price so they come out at the beginning and towards the end season to have a holiday.
A lot of people are committed to work and only take holidays at certain times of the year.
We come out to Arillas in September apart this year it was August quite busy even in September it is always busy the taverns and restaurants are always full and doing well.
Now cheap flights to Spain and 1-2  euro a pint the younger generation are heading to Spain and other parts of Europe.
I and most members would not like to see this happening in  Arillas a load of youths just drinking being very load swearing and just sleeping on the beach
This happened in Kassiopi in the 90s and the bars taverns had a lot of damage.
All the owners got together and the tour operators to stop large groups of one sex coming out I have seen some friends of our they said it is a nice place to go like back in 80s/ early 90s
 So the balance is just got to be right to suit all types in Arillas Two load bars or you got a quiet bar Ammos to have quiet drink
Not like some parts of Spain music pumping out every other bar and very crowded

You can tell I am getting old I want it quiet now just a bit of music in the background and a few ouzo’s

Kev

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 10:24:36 PM »
Bloody hell Kev , I didn't know you drank in  'posh' places like Ammos 😉.
Been in twice , over hyped and over priced in MY opinion but lots of others seem to like it.
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 10:27:30 PM »
Sorry , off topic.
Back on topic , I have met lots of the 'yoga lot' and just like everyone I have met in Arillas (well everywhere in the world!)  , some I like , others I don't.
Nudity on the main beach is simply bang out of order !

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 08:16:15 AM »

HI

Your not wrong Truth NO not posh
There is a young lady who works at  Ammos who  done my daughters weddig flowers so we went in to meet her

Back on Topic i agree with Truth if you want to darnce around naked go to the North beach people and children don't want to see your bits hanging upside dowm

kev

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 03:23:34 PM »
Its a nice setting in there in fairness but not for me...…
The article the Boss put on is a really good read ,,,,,,,     cheers Dimitris

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 07:08:57 PM »

Hi Truth

Yes it was my post is about not many tourists coming that was mentioned things and life style change some times we can not help

Is she going for the opp send me a p/m NO NOT the prime minister Jeremy or boris you wouldn’t know who is telling the Truth hahaha

Keep well
Kev

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 06:16:17 PM »
A really good article.  My own views are that when they first arrived I thought good on them, as the groups got bigger and bigger I felt well just stay out the way, when the drumming started going all night I thought Not again and last time we came and couldn't get a seat at a particular taverna I thought this just isn't like our Arillas anymore but we are not giving up and went somewhere else. What does really bother me is the lack of respect they have for the middle and left side of the beach. If I remember correctly its not so long ago that we were told to make sure we were passed the bend on the north beach before taking our cloths off, otherwise it will not be allowed on any part of the beach. I have asked a few people, and one got very aggrasive towards me verbaly, not knowing that we had lived in Germany and understood what he was shouting. I was just about to (shell we say kick sand in his face) when Pete got hold of my hand and just walked me further up the  north end. I believe that each one of us should be allowed to enjoy they own kind of holiday without incrowsing on anybody elses. So we shell be returning back to our Arillas as long as we can in May and September, as I hope you will all do. xx Rant over

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 06:59:10 PM »
Not a rant at all !  I thought it was a very constructive post Viv , nice one …...

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 07:10:06 PM »

Hi Vivian

Well said the British is in you once again well done no way a rant

Kev

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 10:54:56 AM »
Hi Vivian
In my recent  post Is this the return of the Hippy Happy Brigade I refered to their next retreat in Arillas of the The Shadows In The Sun  Aug 26th - August 30th.
The topic is Turning Our Demons Into Allies. As I said, it sounds like a lot of beating drums and shouting as before.

On their web page they ask that if participants  use the beaches and go naked to use the far left hand and right hand beaches.

When we encountered the last large group a couple of years back they used the North Beach, but disrobed on the main beach to walk north, and then walked back to the main beach before getting dressed again. This caused several confrontations.

I agree about having to change tavernas. We eat quite early and were often been unable to eat in several hostelries (mainly Eftichia) as the tables were occupied by large groups eating olives and drinking water who had been there for many hours. Did not seem a problem later in the evening. Not much profit for the owners, and I understand they  were not happy.

Live and let live means everybody  showing respect for others and the local community. A small element cause problems for others.

Geoff

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Booking.com