Author Topic: Need to Know?  (Read 7872 times)

Offline syke930

Need to Know?
« on: June 19, 2006, 01:41:45 PM »
Hiya!  Heading to Arillas on the 7th of July for a self-catering escape.  Is there anything we need to know pre-trip and during it to make it super fun?

E.g., my boyfriend wants to know if there will be sharks in the water.  

Can we drink the tap water?

I've heard there is no ATM/currency exchange in Arillas... can we exchange traveller's cheques there? or is cash the best route?

Anything that we definitely need to pack, etc. etc.

Thank you!
Sarah.

Offline jenna

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
  • Me And Chris
Need to Know?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 02:24:30 PM »
Hi, don't think there is anything you really need to know or take with you on your trip.  There are several supermarkets which stock everything you might need including things like mosquito repellents, suncream, travel adapters and stuff like that so if you forget to bring something you don't need to panic.  The reps have told us in previous years that although the water is technically drinkable, it is more advised to buy bottled water from the shops which is very cheap anyway.  The closest ATM is in Sidari, a 15 minute drive away but there are several places that exchange travellers cheques in Arillas for a small fee.  We usually use the Marina Hotel on the beach front for that and they also have safety deposit boxes for hire.  We normally bring travellers cheques because they only charge commision of about 2 euros for a 100 euro traveller cheque so you don't lose much in commission.  Also most of the supermarkets takes cards such as visa so you shouldn't be stuck.  I don't believe there will be any sharks in the water, or at least I have never seen or heard of any seen near Arillas so you should be alright in that respect.  Hope you have a nice time, anything else you want to know, just reply to this posting.

Offline Hels Bels

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Need to Know?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 02:26:31 PM »
Hi Sarah,

There are no ATM's however there are plenty of places to exchange, hotels or travel agency's.
The tap water on Corfu has a higher mineral content on Corfu which can upset our UK stomaches but the water is safe, it is best to buy bottled water to save the risk of getting an upset tummy.
The Taverna's and Restaurants in Arillas are really good and suit a wide range of budgets.
When you get to resort you'll be able to sort out car hire or trips locally.

Have a great holiday!!!  :wink:  :D

Offline jenna

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
  • Me And Chris
Need to Know?
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 02:36:56 PM »
Forgot to say, the one warning I can give you is to keep an eye out for the infamous "donut man" on the beach.  Click on the link below for more info.

http://www.wishingwell.gr/arillas/viewtopic.php?t=220

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Re: Need to Know?
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 03:03:48 PM »
Quote from: syke930
 Is there anything we need to know pre-trip and during it to make it super fun?

On Arriving:Relax, :D  relax, :D  relax :D.

During :Embrace the locals friendship as they will yours. :D

After:You will definitely find  yourselves returning to Arillas to see  your new friends again. :D

Eileenx

Offline PaulnMaria

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Need to Know?
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 12:19:03 AM »
You don't even need to bring a smile, as you'll have a large one not long after arrival. I don't know exactly how you get them, they just seem to appear on everyones faces......................magic I guess !!

Offline Inca

Re: Need to Know?
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 09:23:05 PM »
Quote from: syke930

E.g., my boyfriend wants to know if there will be sharks in the water.  

Well, I only go in knee deep -  just in case -  but, there are plenty of shark free pools around!   :lol:

Booking.com