Author Topic: Exchange rate,  (Read 35551 times)

Offline carol

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Re: Exchange rate,
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 12:17:26 PM »
correct me if im wrong.The euro is about 1.36 at the moment.if you buy £1000.00 of euros some travel agents will give you 1.37.5 euro.(yippie).my parents were in greece acouple of weeks ago and the euro was 1.44 after your 2% commision you ended up with about 1.41.so still better than britain.(does that sound right?)cx
Im going to become to nanna for the first time in February cx

Offline carol

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 02:29:38 PM »
Ive just got back from town,the euro today is about 1.39 at travel agents and bank.can ARILLAS beat this???cx  ;)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 02:53:26 PM »
Carol
It's around 1.44 in Arillas today.
Negg

Offline carol

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 03:09:47 PM »
Thanks for that Negg,cx  ;)

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 11:08:07 PM »
Thanks folks.  Looks like Il be taking my pounds to Arillas and giving Arillas Travel the benefit.  We always use them for any quad/bike hire so would rather they benefit then some faceless high street chain.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 10:06:30 AM »
Right..I am off into town today to get my hol money, so once and for all (and because I am blonde!) Will I save the most money by:-

1.Changing pounds into euro's here..commission-free but prob lower exchange rate

or

2. Changing pounds into euro's in Arillas at a 2% commission but higher rate???

Am very confused!  Please somebody tell me!

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 02:44:28 PM »
Right ! - Here go's.
The rate in Corfu is generally 0.05 higher in Corfu than England. So 1.38 here is 1.43 there.
Taking off the commission charge of 2% off gives you about 1.41 there. If you can get Travelers cheques commission free in England you make an extra 0.03 per pound changed in Corfu. Just over two pence and after commission. Not only that but T/C's are safer and you are giving giving a bit more profit to the Greeks.
In terms of money you get about £6 extra per £300 you change on holiday but you can have a little gamble by watching the daily rate change and changing T/C's when you think the markets good.
It's not a lot and can be argued if it's worth the hassle but, if like us you bring back cigarrettes, hire a car and generally eat out it all mounts up. - Good Luck
Cheers
Negg

Offline Alan B

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 09:26:40 PM »
Im bringing some euros and a large portion of euro travellers cheques, i used to bring sterling travellers cheques but it seems you are better off with straight euro travellers cheques...perhaps thats why uk charge commission on them and not euro ones as as eggy says the Greeks get a little bit more, so in short of mega fiscal calculations and enquiries with the stock exchange on an hourly basis............take euros..........and euro travellers cheques (for the majority of ur cash to be safe) and enjoy eating out and drinking much cheaper than you are used to!!!!.........im off on the 4th, not packed, dont know what i'm taking, but as long as i got flip flops, shorts, toothbrush money and tickets......and passport .who cares...happy hols everyone !!!!

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 01:22:41 AM »
Thanks guys

Because I hadnt had a reply before leaving, i chanced it and ended up getting a rate of 1.401 at Thomas Cook so just changed it there.   Feel all sorted now! We also fly out on the 4th! Cant wait now!!

Offline burger

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 02:06:51 PM »
that sounds a good rate for thomas cook,m+s were 139.6,travelex 1.39.9,but rates seem to be on the way down again,i've still got 4 weeks yet so i'll hang on and see what happens

Offline Lynette

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 05:09:30 PM »
Burger,
When you going out we fly out from Stansted on the 22nd Aug

Offline burger

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 04:42:43 PM »
hi lynette,me+ friends fly 1 sept from newcastle,1st hol abroad for over 20years,1st time for corfu,looking forward to arilas for being non commerciaised compared to other resorts on corfu

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2006, 10:26:46 AM »
I found a site the other day http://travelux.co.uk  good exchange rate and you collct at the airport, so if any of you want to change your stirling here, its worth a look. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline burger

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2006, 12:53:47 PM »
the exchange rate is pretty good at home recently,m&s travel money, are good for their rates,
http://www.fxcorporation.co.uk/marksandspencer/exchange_rates.asp    also mentioned above travelex,    http://www.travelex.co.uk/personal/rateslist.asp?content=rtl    they guarantee not to be beaten on internet exchange rates,only downside is that you have to collect at the airport

Offline chrissyUK

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 01:33:41 PM »
Good Morning.
 I always buy my euro's from the post office. I have just done a search and today you would get ...

141.51Euros    for     £100
I never bother to exchange them back as i use them for my next holiday.
A friend of mine who is a trollydolly always uses the uk post offices as they do not charge commision!

Regards,
Chrissy

Booking.com