Author Topic: authentic or not  (Read 183008 times)

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: authentic or not
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2008, 11:49:37 PM »
Just in case anyone out there thinks the welcoming nature of the people in Arillas is false, not authentic or cynical, ask yourslef about this story.

Young lad (all of 30) buys a lot of cigarettes, gets absolutely drunk and falls over on the way home. Next morning he comes to see us and is covered in blood - looks like he's been mugged. Cigarettes are missing.

We go and see Filipos at Christos apartments who gets on the phone to try and find his lost bag of cigarettes. After a dozen calls, this lad is remembered by a barman in the edge of San Stefanos. We go there but no fags. Worked our way round, and eventually the bag was in the position it fell into. All 500 euros worth of cigarettes intact and untouched.

As we got back to Christos apartments, Filipos came and joined us in a drink to celebrate - and he paid at his own bar. Lad had fallen over, crawled home and in Arillas / San Stefanos lost nothing but his dignity. In Benidorm he wouldn't even have got home in his clothes.

Authentic? Maybe not here in Britain, but why do you think we all love Arillas?

philandjen together.

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2008, 09:10:02 PM »
Well Phil that just about says it all great post we had a similar thing happen to us in canal d'amour it was about 5am and a girl knocked on our door asking if it was her appartment
She actually walked in and entered bros bedroom until i ushered her out she said said she was looking for the steps which were outside we heard her go up and thought nothing else of it
In the morning i happened to walk around to the sun loungers her hand bag was there with passport cash and credit cards in thats how we knew it was hers by the passport pic
So went to see the local girl in the Thomson office who recognised her by her photo and she had used a safety deposit box there
Anyway we kept calling in asking if she had picked up her belongings it was 3 days later she eventually went in and the young lass recognised her and gave her the bag and contents If that had been over here or spain i,m afraid it would have been goodbye to the lot !!!
                                                     Tony

Offline Antonis

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 10:30:01 PM »
Just back home after two weeks in Arillas. What you wrote near the start of this thread Dimitri has put much of the experience into context. I'm always intrigued by the history of the places we stay. I've found out that some "authentic" villages with a long history can become so given over to tourism that local industries (e.g. farming) are abandoned, as they become less profitable and harder work than attending to tourist demands, with the end result that the economy ceases to exist once the tourists go home, and the locals cease to live in the village outside the holiday season. There's no produce at such times for sustenance, and folk use their profits to return to the larger towns - or even to families in other countries, to find other, or similar work during the European winter.
For me, one of the charms of much of Greece is that it hasn't yet created a year-round tourism infrastructure, unlike coastal Spain, Cyprus, Malta et al, and thus retains a cultural life that is reinforced by an eight month break from tourism. I like to hear, for example, as I've often heard in places I've visited, some local person playing an instrument, or singing a song to a tune I'd have great difficulty in remembering, because it isn't of the nature that would go down well at a bouzouki night in a tourist resort in July. (Mind you - I like to hear those songs too - especially after a good meal and a glass or three of wine!)
Arillas is a tourist resort, whatever else it is, or has been, and I happily embrace that as well as its history. Doesn't make it any less "authentic."
Thanks for a lovely couple of weeks, Arillas. After a bleak brush with cancer three years ago, I find it difficult to contemplate what I might do in following years, but Hope that I'm given plenty of time to revisit.

Offline Julie j

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 07:38:22 AM »
Antonis, pleased to hear that you enjoyed Arillas so much, my husband Graham is in hospital at the moment for yet another three monthly check up, and as soon as he is out and hopefully given the all clear the first thing he will say is " see whats available, when can we go back to Arillas " it's the only place where he feels really relaxed.
Hope to see you all again very soon
Julie & Graham(Pangalos)

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2008, 10:09:23 AM »
What wonderful posts Antonis and Juliej

when can we go back to Arillas - it's the only place where he feels really relaxed.

That could have been Jen and me speaking.

best wishes to both
Phil

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2008, 11:33:47 PM »
 Phil you’re so relaxed you’re virtually Horizontal

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2008, 05:17:54 AM »
John - I come from Glastonbury. We are all laid back here. When we first got here in 1991 they used to say "slow down Phil, you'll explode."  But not any more.

We have melted into village life and Arillas is so much like our village here in Somerset you would not believe. I so identify with Dimitris and his family values, just like you with your gorgeous grandson. Didn't you melt looking at the pics of bebis in the sea today? And loved Dimitris sense of humour about blonds....

We are so laid back here we start from horizontal. Jen and me are now actually upside down rather than horizontal! And I might be relaxed amongst my amazing Arillas friends on the forum, but I'm like a coiled spring in my daily role as a college lecturer.

Having said all that, I am flattered that you bothered to post about me, and as usual  had a really good laugh. I'm vertical at the moment, but after another vodka frappe might truly be horizontal.

see you in july
phil

Offline graham

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2008, 06:16:33 PM »
it's the only place where he feels really relaxed.
Isn't it peculiar that one little quote can sum up the feelings of so many different people from such diverse backgrounds? And also that one little village can inspire those feelings in the same way! Mind you, I think the cold Mythos / Amstel helps with the relaxing bit!
It's our fourth time to Arillas in July and I feel more at home there than I ever have in Swansea, I can't wait for the kids to grow up so I can go more often!
A woman has the last word in any argument, anything a man says after that is the start of a new argument!

Offline Julie j

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2008, 07:17:57 PM »
When we said goodbye to Dimitris on the 8th of June before going home on the 9th, he said "no you are not going home tomorrow you are going abroad, when you come back here you are coming home", see you on the 11th July Dimitris, sorry we will miss you Graham from Swansea, we are going abroad again on the 25th July.
Love to all Julie & Graham from Bristol.

riggers

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2008, 08:15:21 PM »
The trouble is we spend to much time abroad..  :(

riggers...

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2008, 03:06:03 AM »
riggs, too much in time or cash? At least when we go to Arillas, it`s money well spent and totally enjoyed.
Lindypops.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2008, 09:16:15 AM »
lindypops i totaly agree,you could,nt spend your money in better place.............yammas

riggers

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2008, 11:08:30 AM »
To much time abroad in England................

riggers.

Offline lynwill53

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2008, 11:27:10 PM »
Efcharisto poli, Dimitris, for that information about the history of Arillas.

I am very much looking forward to seeing your beautiful village at the end of August. I see from the aerial photos that agriculture is still very important in the village. I love to have fields and trees in the resort I am staying in.

Offline pandb

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2008, 03:47:34 PM »
Thank you Dimitris for the information & background. We all come ( & return in the majority of cases) and it is nice to know some of the history to the place that we all adore. Many thanks once again & looking forward to seeing you in 2 weeks.

Booking.com