Author Topic: driving licence & car hire  (Read 23131 times)

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
Re: driving licence & car hire
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 02:35:20 PM »
We always hire a car for 3 days in the middle of our holiday - it breaks it up a bit and also gets you out of sun for a while!

Offline Wendy n Stu

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 11:00:51 PM »
We stayed at the Bardis Sun Studios at end of May and we hired a jeep via Bobby.  We had it for 4 days (you pay for 3 and get 4th day free) and it was 150 euros including unlimited mileage.  It was delivered to the door at 9.00 a.m. and we could have it until 7.00 p.m. on the last day.  It was a really good deal and the car was in good condition, etc.  There were a variety of vehicles to choose from, all at good prices.  Hope this helps.  Wendy.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 11:20:40 AM »
That is really useful as we are staying at the Bardis too.  Do they only have jeeps or have other cars too.

We hired a jeep a few years ago in Crete and never got over the experience.  We had it two days one week and 2 the next.  The 2nd week I thought I would have to take valium, I spent the days in between dreading it...  Mike thought it was fantastic though.  We had our two daughters in the back so there wasnt much shade for them, they had to wear their sarongs on their backs and hats on, we felt like bedouins crossing the desert!  Also, in the jeep in the front we had the doors but in the back there was nothing except a roll bar, so Mike is shouting above the noise of the engine to the girls to take the photos and do the video, so there they are hanging over the sides (they had seat belts on)  taking these photos, with the huge drops beneath them going up the Samaria Gorge.  We got lost going up the  mountains through dirt tracks that no other cars seem to be using, we ended up in a remote village where no one spoke english... I thought it was raining but it was so high up we were in the clouds and  I was desparate to get back before it was dark as I dont like those roads in the dark.

I look back on it now and laugh as it was a memorable experience but I dont exactly relish the thought of driving again in Greece, it is very worrying and I go away to relax not to feel I am at a theme park.. LOL  (I must be getting old!)
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 11:28:27 AM »
That made me giggle reading that!!  I could just imagine it all with your excellent description!

Yes they do other cars, not just Jeeps, just a case of looking at the pictures of the different cars on the poster and going 'I want that one'!!

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 12:07:56 PM »
I know what you mean about the roads, the first year i found it quite scary.  We have been visiting Corfu on and off for 20 years and get a car out each time.  Last time we were in Arillas we got a Punto out and i felt quite safe in that.  This year in San Stefanos we had a brand new Peugeot 107.  I think as long as you are careful and watch out for the pot holes you will be ok.

I say go for it!! ;)

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 12:16:53 PM »
My problem is that we only hire a car these days when it is raining as we don't want to waste valuable days on the beach. That means the roads are potentially wet and slippery and what with all the winding bends and the occasional senior moment from me, it is always quite nerve-racking. Somehow my friend Joyce always manges to forget to bring her licence with her, or has a bad foot or the wrong shoes......
Sandy x

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 04:40:35 PM »
Mike forgot his driving licence one year when we went to Lanzarote with my parents.  Rather convenient I thought!!  I had the beginnings of a cold and felt lousy and we all decided to hire a car but it was down to me to drive.... I have never driven a left hand drive car, (when it came to gear changing it was a dual effort if you can imagine that!) the mountain roads left me cold, sometimes we swapped over so Mike could drive us down (very naughty of us but I freaked out! and we would never have got back to our accommodation).. 

I would rather ride a bike even if it means pushing it, but I can even tell stories about that too when we have done that in Greece!  LOL...  Thats why we walk everywhere now..
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Booking.com