Author Topic: MOZZIES!!!!  (Read 11558 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
MOZZIES!!!!
« on: August 16, 2006, 01:08:32 AM »
Well folks, after lots of smug advice I have given regarding Vit B etc and avoiding the dreaded bites, I got bloody ravaged this year!!  Why is that??? Some people they just dont touch.  What is really strange is that I got TEN at the airport coming home and they have been the worse ever reactions.  Does anyone know if these are 'commando' mozzies with supersonic stings?? Next year I will be covered from head to toe homeward bound!

Offline clever1

Re: MOZZIES!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 04:29:09 AM »
hey,
i grew up in arilas- i get attacked every year i come but they dont touch anyone else in my family. use "OFF" mosquito/bug repellant. it works & isnt too stinky.

Offline jan-c

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 11:49:19 PM »
I hope they`re not as bad in September as they were July , i always get eaten alive by them , but July was particularly bad, tried everything from vit b garlic capsules , jungle formula and still got bit, im trying twiglets before we go , i`ll try anthing to stop being bit my reactions end up like mountains, and they`re still there off 5 weeks ago

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 01:52:27 PM »
Ive come to the conclusion that no matter what I spray they will always find me, I only got bit a few times in June but boy did I get a reaction, took my pills and rubbed in the cream but they still rose like volcanos and weeping all the time,then to top it all one night a commando landed on my nose how i didnt see it....my oink looked like something from the elephant man..I just hope I dont get bit too bad in 3 weeks time.
Ang

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 02:10:24 PM »
Hi Ang,

'Sorry to hear about your bad reaction to the mozzie bites,  both my sister and sister-in-law react like this too.  My sister now takes anti-histamines for one week before she goes on holiday and it really has made a difference for her.

My sister thinks along the same lines as Ang and Jo, does anyone else think that there are 'commando' mozzies.

Eileenxx

Offline jan-c

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 05:58:11 PM »
They must have been this year , hubby never gets bit and had 32 bites on one foot alone, so i think they may have been more than commandos this year, hope they`ve calmed down a bit for September , had to buy antihistamines from Sidari and they cost 13 euro , so will be taking some wth us this time just in case.

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 06:33:01 PM »
I will try the anti-histamines a weeks prior, though they do knock me out a bit and Ive got a heavy work load on at the mo so I will have to be carefull....my OH never gets bitten and my Daughter is just due back from Zante and I will bet she never got a bite either..they must just love me..ah how sweet of them to show how much.NOT.
Ang

Offline greenbanker2000

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 06:40:24 PM »
I was advised to take anti-histamines two weeks prior to leaving the UK. They dont stop the bites but drastically reduce the effects . I had anti mozzie bands on my wrist and ankles and got bitten below the band!!

Offline Marie

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 11:01:35 PM »
hi guys,
i dont want to rub it in but i never get bit but if i do its just like a little spot then its gone within 2days (thats how small they r!)
also this year my mum and i were both quite shocked that we didnt see any mozzies!!! we didnt get bit or anythin!!!!

marie xx

Offline carol

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 11:06:12 AM »
Hi Marie,You didnt see any mozzies because they were all biting me!!!! It was nice to meet you and your mum,cx
Im going to become to nanna for the first time in February cx

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 11:44:59 AM »
I would tend to agree about these Commando mozzies. When staying in San Stefanos last June I hardly got bitten but my best friend got eaten alive and we were sleeping in the same apartment so the Mozzies had equal feeding rights on each of us. I never used any spray but my friend was covered in it, they just seem to have a vendetta against certain people and it seems there is nothing you can do if they take a like to you. Well smoking is supposed to help (scares them away) but that’s hardly good advice is it.

I have been reliably told that the later in the year you go the loss mozzies there are and that this year there was an unusually high amount of the little pests in the early season. After saying all this I can see me getting bitten alive in September now. :-(

Offline Marie

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 11:30:15 AM »
hi Carol!!!
it was good to meet you too. at least now i no who im talking to!!! :)
marie xx

Offline Lynette

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 12:54:01 PM »
Join the club it don't matter what I put on they still get me. One night one little hungry one got me five in a row up my ankle and leg. They don't like me at all and I think this year has been one of the worse anybody out there got new suggestions??

Offline JohnJ

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 07:22:19 PM »
Hi,
 I don't know if any of this will help and  hope not to offend anyone, but here goes.
At the university that I work at ( no I  am not one of those academics just an administrator) we have some experts on parasitology and I asked them about mozzies.   After listening to them for some time the bare bones of it were about 4 points worth remembering.
1. Peoples reaction to the bite, and it is a bite not a sting, varies and is the real reason some suffer more than others. Those with bad reactions can get relief or prevent extremely bad reactions by taking anti histamines and yes garlic and vitamin B can also help but take them before going and keep taking them until you return. 
2. Apparently some people give off more pheromones that are the smells that attract mozzies.  These are very common in people who sweat a lot or in particular have feet that sweat a lot. The advice is shower with a nice smelling shower gel morning and night  to lessen  your attractiveness.
3. And this one I guess is common sense, wear long sleeved shirts or blouses and trousers not shorts or short skirts in the evenings, which is apparently the time when they are the most active.
4. iS ALSO COMMON SENSE AND ALREADY WELL KNOWN BUT AMAZING HOW MANY PEOPLE DO NOT DO IT AND THAT, IS CLOSE ALL WINDOWS AND DOORS AT NIGHT, PLUG IN THE ELECTRIC MOZZIE KILLERS AND SPRAY THE ROOM BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR YOUR NIGHT OUT AND ALTHOUGH IT MIGHT BE UNCOMFORTABLE  KEEP THOSE WINDOWS AND DOORS SHUT UNTIL YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING.
As I said I hope I haven't offended anybody and you find some of the tips useful.
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 07:31:07 PM »
Thanks John I think it must be the pheromones in my case lol...no bad feet and nice smellies when I shower
Ang

Booking.com