Author Topic: advice for eating and drinking  (Read 21819 times)

Offline burger

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Re: advice for eating and drinking
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 02:37:58 AM »
i would recommend the captains table in arillas for eating as i did a few times,really nice family who run this,always getting a friendly reception,food is good,i liked the stifado,tried the brouklis only once,spit roast lamb was very good,but avoided it most nights as it was packed out,for drinking the malibu bar is great for all ages,great music,good service

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 11:25:19 AM »
Funnily enough we frequented the Captains Table most nights with occasional visits to the Thassalo and Sea Breeze.  We did visit Brouklis a couple of times but as you said it was busy and is very popular.  The Captains table was the nearest restaurant from where we were staying at the Galini so it was convenient.  Mike and Angela the maitre D and Angela were always there with a smile and Angela would mercilessly be teased by my other half.  Their full english breakfasts still make our mouth water (a nice treat after a long walk), the very "sinful" fried bread melted in your mouth.  I am glad you recommended it too.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline alyvin

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 09:45:12 PM »
Best places we found to eat were Brouklis (but v busy and couldn't get seat most nights), Arillas Inn and Costas on the Beach.
For a quick tasty snack The Grill Room next to the Coconut/ Malibu Bars does a delicious Gyros Kebab for 2.5 or 3.5 Euros. It was stuffed full with pork/ salad/ tsakziki and chips.

Offline jan-c

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 06:27:29 PM »
we enjoyed the Brouklis, Kostas on the beach, thallasa (we had a baguette there evety day wonderfull)sea breeze only there for a week so next time we can try a few more, good excuse to go back

Offline shirleyvalentine

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 10:21:34 PM »
If anyone has any recommendations for a "forty something" couple staying at kaloudis for a week from 22 sept regarding food and drink, we would love to read them. Looking for a weeks' R+R. cheers
Hi my name is Margaret, and Ive been to Kaloudis studios many times. The owners are great people and are now friends of mine. The best place to eat is a small snack bar in the village, nedt door to the Malibu Bar. although it says Snack Bar, they serve really excellent meals, and the breakfasts are to die for, very cheap, too. The best place to drink is a small taverna. If you walk up the road just past the Coconut bar, then the Malibu bar, you will see a road on your left, go up there and not very far up is a small taverna run by a greek family.  Not many people go (me and Kevin were the only ones there every night!!). You cant miss it as they have written Pizza Hut on the pillars!! Drinks very very cheap - dont be fooled by the Malibu offering 3 drinks for the price of two, this place is much much cheaper (1 euro for a coffee or ouzo for example!!). 
You are very lucky to be going to Arillas, we came back 1 week ago and I'm still depressed now!!! I do hope you have a lovely time.  Margaret and Kevin

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 11:40:19 AM »
We went into the snack bar next to the Malibu.  We fancied egg and chips of all things (I know, I know its not very Greek ~ but I never had mashed potato in Greece before until I came to Arillas!)  after coming off the beach and it was lovely!  I dont know what they feed the chickens but the eggs taste great in Arillas.  We also passed the little taverna I think you are talking about... is it next door to the little boutique as you go up the hill before the bakers on the bend.  We did wonder about going in as the drinks seemed very cheap but it looked a bit dead and wasnt sure if they were opened or not.  Do they do food, if so did you try any?  Might give that a go next year!

Offline sheila

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 10:44:45 PM »
Just try wherever takes your fancy, I don't think you can go wrong anywhere although our favourites had to be The Brouklis,Thalassa,Kostas
SHEILA

Offline Diane x

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 01:19:36 AM »
We had excellent gyros at the Steki snack bar, cheap and very tasty. Followed by cheescake & can also recommend the ice cream.

Brouklis, their specials are to die for, so says my teenage daughter. She thought Dimitri was a James bond lookalike/soundalike !

Portofina do an excellent pasdisada among other things we went there on our first night.

Rainbow do a mean giant beans, AND BILLY DOES A LOVELY HOT CHOCOLATE ! Spiro has now heard of Tia Maria & Guiness !!!

Kostas on the beach, the food was very nice but my feeling was that it was very buisness like and small portions.

Captains was only visited by us on one occasion and my dish was full of green beans and swimming in red olive oil. One of the others where we were stayin loved it. All I can say is you can't really judge on one visit but I don't think it was my cup of T.

We will certainly be back in Arillas to try a few more tavernas next year.

Diane

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2006, 02:34:01 PM »
I love giant beans, even the green beans if they are cooked nicely.  Hubby loves meatballs, as they are so light and fluffy (his words) and courgette balls..  I love stuffed courgette flowers but cant seem to find them in Corfu, we had them in Samos one time.  Not too keen on just plain grilled squid, prefer kalimari which I had in the Thassalo, very nice!  The fish restaurant on the opposite side of the 'circle' to Brouklis does lovely fish meals, large portions of mixed fish (mind the bones though) and dessert was thrown in too,(not literally of course) and the Pastitsio at the Captains, well it could feed three and is gorgeous as is their Moussaka (which I wasnt a big fan of but am now).  OOh!  cant wait to try it all again ~ might get out the recipe books!

Offline Lindypops

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2006, 03:14:35 PM »
Hi. I`ve been fancying stuffed courgette flowers. Who does them in Arillas? Just yummy. Lindypops.
Lindypops.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2006, 03:58:38 PM »
I'll have to look up my greek cookery book to see what stuffed courgette flowers look like...I've never heard of them before.

Eileenxxx

Offline kriopigi girl

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2006, 05:03:57 PM »
We had stuffed courgette flowers in Kefalonia they were delicious. Have not had them anywhere else in Greece.  Pauline x

Offline wacko

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2006, 11:37:27 PM »
Sorry to do this,

It is nothing to do with food, but again call me thick but I could not see a way in for new posts. Only got  that 36 hours to flying to Arillas.  So yes I willl talk food................Breakfast Seabreeze, nice meals Boukris and Mirage and if it is still open the Chinese.  Blimey just cannot wait I can feel it........Arillas .............. All good.

Wacko

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2006, 11:43:01 PM »
Room for a medium sized one!
Lindypops.

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2006, 11:49:58 PM »
Hey wacko, have a brill time. Ask Yianni at Sea Breeze have I still got menus to sort next time!!They`re all so good there, aren`t they? Give them my regards please. Lindypops
Lindypops.

Booking.com