Author Topic: advice for eating and drinking  (Read 21807 times)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: advice for eating and drinking
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2006, 01:00:38 AM »
Have a great time and if there are any new recipes on the menu come back and tell us please!  My all time favourite thing is to  spend some time in one of their kitchens to see how they make all this yummy food the traditional way.  I love cooking Greek style and try out lots of recipes and one of our favourites is Courgette pie made with Mizithra cheese but I dont think you can get it in Corfu, its a Cretan speciality unless Corfiots have a similar cheese.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I dont think we can bring it back now on the planes now can we?
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Lindypops

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2006, 01:53:24 AM »
I think you will need to check with your airline. So much going on, but all for the best, we are told. I too like to try all local dishes etc. Have to say, I really want to try courgette flowers etc. Back to Brouklis, just feed me. You can`t go wrong there. It`s always so ambient, and sooooooooo lovely. I could go on-----------. Mouth`s watering now.Lindypops
Lindypops.

Offline wacko

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2006, 08:13:27 AM »
Hi  Lindipops & Blondgirl
It is Sunday 5am and I am awake, have made notes and will check everything out.  A bit more ironing and sort out the suitcases, a bit of a kip and probably back for a last look on line tonight before we go. AAAAAAAAAAgh,  The wait is painful

Wacko

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2006, 07:19:34 PM »
Wacko ~  The Mizithra cheese in Crete is a soft cheese, slightly salty. It might even be goats but it doesnt smell or taste like it.  But it is soft, not like our cottage cheese/cream cheese here tho.  They even eat it with honey.  For the pie you slice courgettes and thinly sliced potatoes and layer it all with the mizithra cheese (herbs added as well) in a filo pastry base and lid.    I shall have to ask my friend in Crete as her son in law actually makes it.  But, if you ever see it in the shops or ask around for me then I can be prepared when I go out there to look too.

Have a great time!

Sue

Offline Debbie & Lee

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2006, 06:18:35 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good place in Arillas to settle down for a few drinks, a good chat, perhaps with some greek music and a friendly atmosphere?  We've tried the Horizon, Coconut Bar and also the Ammos bar (although we felt the service was very slow and the staff we not particularly friendly there). 

Hope to hear from you.

Offline sheila

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2006, 06:23:24 PM »
hi ,Debbie and Lee what about the Brouklis? no music but fantastic food and good conversation,also ,Thalassas ,good food and music.
SHEILA

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2006, 06:36:09 PM »
I can second Thalassa, love it there!!

Offline Athena

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2006, 06:21:47 AM »
It has to be the Brouklas for me too, I also enjoy The Captain opposite the Rainbow Bar, but No 1 in Arillas for a true authentic greek experience, the Brouklas, although getting back to a Bouzouki wouldn't go amiss, then it would be the ultimate experience, and that's coming from a greek!!!!!! ;-)
Athena

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2006, 01:48:15 PM »
Arilla Inn is very nice - they play Greek music.  The food and service are excellent and you get a fab view of the sunset too!  Well worth a visit.
Cheryl O

Offline Gillian and Peter Rhodes

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2006, 05:19:49 PM »
just come back from a month in Arillas and out of all the places to eat the place which in our opinion is THE BEST is Captains. For value for money, staff attentiveness and cosy surroundings it is miles ahead of everywhere else. One night after eating Angela had her children there and her father had us all up dancing the wine flowed like a torrential downpure in October and we had the best night of our trip.The set menu was amazing and we all still got a free pud and a liqueur. Highly recommended.See you next year for 12 weeks!!!!!
Gillian and Peter Rhodes

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2006, 07:08:58 PM »
Hear, Hear!  We loved the food and the hospitality at the Captains!  Always welcoming no matter whether we were too early for breakfast or late in the evening.  Angela was lovely, used to see her on the beach with her girls during the day and in the evening waitressing and also Michaels son was being trained, so cute. Cant wait to go back and see them again next year!

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2006, 01:20:28 AM »
Some of our best times was at Captains. We`ve always had a lovely time @ Captains. They have a good chef, and hygiene is one of the best in Arillas. We`ll go back again, as we have before. Try it.
Lindypops.

Booking.com