Author Topic: Arillas first and last  (Read 21096 times)

stokiesam

Arillas first and last
« on: September 25, 2006, 05:40:02 PM »
Hi everybody

My wife Jan and I returned from Arillas on 18th Sept after our first visit, staying at the Hotel Marvel for two weeks. I'm afraid it will also be our last visit, for three main reasons:-

1) There are so many other places in Greece we've never been to, it could be some time before Corfu comes around again. We really could not believe the number of people we met who had been going to Arillas every year for years, sometimes twice a year. I think this 'habit' partly contributes to the situation in reason 3).

2) The mosquitoes. Jan suffers so badly from bites that she has to carry antibiotics in case they get infected. In our 4 consecutive visits to Greece ( Lesvos, Naxos, Ithaca, Corfu), this is the only time she has had to use them. If what we heard, that the authorities have stopped spraying, is true, that is sufficient reason for us never to return.

3) I'm afraid that the overwhelming view on this forum, that Arillas is some kind of unspoilt paradise, is not true as far as we're concerned. To us, unspoilt means no bars selling draught English beer and showing endless Sky Sports, no hotel menus containing 'chip butty' or the Sunday special 'roast beef and yorkshire pudding, followed by apple crumble and custard'. Unfortunately, apart from the shining star which is the Brouklis Taverna, the whole place seems to have started down the road which eventually leads to Sidari and other similar hellholes. I will admit that it hasn't currently gone too far down that road, but give it another ten years and it will be there.

I am firmly of the opinion that Arillas falls into that category of resorts which are 'in Greece, but no longer of Greece'. If you want unspoilt, you won't find it anywhere on Corfu. The Brouklis, however, is the one thing that could conceivably make us return sometime. The food there is quite simply the best Greek food we have tasted anywhere, and we have(separately), been to lots more parts of Greece than we list above. The only place where the food comes even close is Naxos.

I'm sorry if this upsets any of the Arillas lovers on this forum, but we found that it just didn't meet the expectations we had from reading the posts here. It just goes to show that it's impossible to rely on strangers' opinions about something so personal as the ideal holiday resort. Obviously very many people love the place, but it just wasn't our cup of tea.

Cheers

Sam (and Jan)

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Re: Arillas first and last
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 06:20:03 PM »
Hello Jan and Sam,

I'm sorry to hear that Arillas did not live up to your expectations.  I know of a few folk who have visited and expected a small fishing/seaside village and were disappointed too.

We all expect so much from our holidays, quite rightly too, they are so precious as they allow us time away from the stresses of work and the daily routine of home life.  It is so disappointing when they fail to live up to our expectations.  I know this from experience, my worst holiday was on Andros, I just found it to be so boring and lacked character.  (sorry if I've upset any lovers of Andros there!)   Unfortunately at the time we visited I never knew how to use the computer never mind use forums where I may have found out that it was not my cup of tea either.

This is not meant as criticism of your post, but I noticed that this is your first post.  Perhaps it might have been wiser when researching your holiday to join in on the forum and to have stated your preferred type of holiday destination then some of us (myself for starters) would have told you that Arillas did not meet your criteria?  Hindsight is a great thing I know, but it might help in the future.

Wishing you many happy holidays in the future.

Eileen.

Maggie

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 08:49:27 PM »
   I'm sorry to see that your holiday didn't live up to your
   expectations, Sam & Jan. The mossies can be a pest, especially
   if you do react badly to the bites, but there has been loads of
   posts on here reffering to that. We have visited on and off for around
   13 years now, and I have to say that things have not changed much
    in that time, so I hope your prediction that Arillas will turn into another
   Sidari is totally wrong. I'm sure that it won't ever be like that.. Our holidays
  are very  precious, as we don't get much time off work, but I know exactly
   what we get when we go away. Wonderful scenery( I think Corfu is one
   of the most beautiful places) friendly people, delicious food, and a beach
   that isn't too busy. I hope that sometime in the future, you are able to
   find your paradise, we all have different tastes, I love Corfu, I'm sorry
   you don't.   Happy future holidays, Maggie.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 09:01:07 PM »
Oh well!  I might as well say my bit!  We have been to other Greek Islands and our all time favourite for 6 years was Crete.  I think my heart is still there really as we have some lovely memories.  But after travelling around in a car, in extreme heat, careering around tight bends on white knuckle rides we have come to the conclusion we just want to chill out now either on the beach or around the pool, 'gentle' walks, nice people and good food and we found that on our last two holidays to Corfu.  Corfu was always on my least places to visit because of the mozzies, also because it has a reputation for being a bit "damp", tendency to rain sometimes hence all the greenery but we love it and are glad we have added it to our list of islands.  We havent seen much of the island but what we have seen we love.  To get the real Greece you have to go to some unknown place, either in the hills or right off the tourist track and without easy access,  and some people are not brave enough to do that.  But, for the the next best thing then we liked Arillas because it was small and totally unassuming and so laid back it is horizontal~! You dont have to go to the places that do English food, or even join in the entertainment, but some people do like that sort of thing. To be honest,  we stay away from those places too, even the Greek dancing because we have seen that and done it many times, but that doesnt mean to say we dont enjoy it.  It is a shame you didnt enjoy it in Arillas but as they say horses for courses.  We didnt actually like San Steph as we felt that had no character.  We have only been to Arillas once and another time in Agios Gordis which was our all time most relaxing holiday ever!  We take two weeks off to totally unwind now, not take off sight seeing as that can be very tiring tramping around being the perennial tourist, we dont have the burning desire to see everything like we used to, must be our age!  You never know we might even venture to another island another time but Arillas here we come next year!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 11:04:45 PM »
Last post has saved me the trouble of trying to put my thoughts into words.Yes we would all like the Corfu of Gerald Burrel,but unless you are into the "Good life" ie..."go get some water out the well dear"...where are the candles "see if you can catch a rabbit for dinner "then Arillas is as close as you can get to a relaxing break without the hardship...(apart from the Mossies).

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 11:08:18 PM »
That should have spelt Durell not Burell..........head full of jolly robins

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 01:20:00 AM »
I really liked your posting Kes. Water in the well and  go catch a rabbit!  ha ha ha!  It would be the last thing I want to do on holiday!!!.. its as much as I can do to walk down to the restaurant for dinner of an evening.  We like the slow, easy life of staggering to the bar for another cocktail, and another, and another ............
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 10:57:25 AM »
Exactly my view too Blondegirl, just line up the cocktails haha!!

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 11:02:52 AM »
I'm sorry that you didn't like our little piece of paradise.  Arillas has everything we want and more from a holiday, excellent beach, excellent food, friendly locals, safe environment for the children.  Wouldn't dream of going any where else but each to their own, even our girls now only go to Arillas so obviously caters for all ages.  We don't want to many people going it may then change into a smaller Sidari so lets keep Arillas as it is.  Only 2 more days to go, can't wait.  I also agree with all the previous posts apart from the first one of course

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline corfu2002

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 02:07:10 PM »
Hello Sam and Jan I am sorry also that you didnt enjoy Arillas,we are all different,likes and dislikes but as for becoming another Sidari
I personally cannot see that happening,I really dont think the locals would want it to go that way themselves,and as previous poster
has said Arillas does try to cater for all tastes,in a low key and small scale.For me I dont eat meat so as for roast dinners I wouldnt bother
fresh fish lovely greek salad and plenty of other greek veggie delights is the order of the day.my teenage son well!! now he is hard work
to feed anywhere,but he loves the food in Greece especially home made pizzas that melt in your mouth fresh cut home made chips
and plenty of greek bread.And the wait for your food shows its fresh and cooked to order.

If I am honest was just a teeny bit disappointed in Arillas at first expecting some kind of paradise,but I realise that doesnt really exist not for me
anyway or anywhere. I too have visited greece 11 times Crete is one of my favourites too,but the welcome and care I received due to being
unwell whilst in Arrillas I will always remember. I felt safe and whatever happened I felt all would be well and thanks to our wonderful hosts the calm atmosphere
The friendly locals and other holidaymakers I was indeed ok. Selfishly....... on my part he he! we didnt find much in the way of sky sports,my other half
gets enough of that at home,English lager or beer is also not on our list,I am unable to manage more than half a glass of Greek wine,though hubby
likes a metaxa and ouzo,but again each to their own and you are entitled to voice your opinion not everyone likes the same things,whats perfect
for one person wouldnt be for another I only speak for myself and Know Arillas wouldnt do for some of my closest friends,for some of the reasons
you outlined and for some family members would be too quiet.....and would be looking for sky...roast dinners.....and English bars yet they wouldnt
like sidari either.I sincerley hope you find the perfect holiday...when you do please share it with us.

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 02:09:50 PM »
I would like to add another dimension here - I'm a divorced mum so travel my own with my children (albeit they are teenagers now!).  I felt totally safe in Arillas being on my own unlike other resorts we've been too, for instance, one in Crete - there were 'bar touts' everywhere hassling you to go into their bars and I never felt I could walk anywhere freely.

In Arillas, the food is a mixture probably to cater to children's fussy needs - my two do like to experiment and try different things but not all do and they do need to eat!  I never once had 'eggs & chips' in Arillas but what the hell, if you want to, you can!

I never watched any tv or drank English lager - but we are all different and the locals have to please everyone!

I love Arillas and my two children adore the place.  The locals are so friendly and helpful.  We were all so miserable when we left and over the moon that we are going back this year for another week!
Cheryl O

Offline corfu2002

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 02:40:51 PM »
Hello Cheryl,I must say when we were in crete we were lucky enough to not have any of those Bar touts I really do hate that kind of thing.

we were lucky that were we visited twice in crete,they were both very small resorts and very low key.

But corfu and Arillas is the place I would want to return,at home my son is very fussy with his food but no probs in Arillas at all and the taverna

we mainly ate at couldnt do enough for him regarding his likes and dislikes,bringing extra bread to make sure he wasnt hungry offering to cook

him anything he would like.

I would love another week before winter time as we too were unhappy to leave and the wait until next summer is just too long!!!!!

Enjoy your week,as I am sure you will.Also to all of you lucky people flying out to Arillas soon.ooh Im ever so slightly!! envious.

Offline sheila

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 10:40:19 PM »
We went to Arillas for the second time this year, loved it last year but to be  honest we thought we might be disappointed this year.... how wrong can you be ,we loved it even more and have booked again for three weeks next year.To be totally honest I can see why some people wouldnt like it, each to their own, but I think we will be going for many more years to come.
SHEILA

stokiesam

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 01:48:51 AM »
Hi again

I haven't been able to log on since I started this thread, so it's good to see all the responses. It seems as though a few people think we're looking for a really primitive style of holiday, but that couldn't be further from the truth. We normally only get one long holiday each year, we both work, and we just like to relax. Our criteria are quite simple, B & B in a hotel, with air-con, a pool and a pool bar. Usually 8 or 9 days of the holiday are spent by the pool(neither of us particularly like the beach, although we do like the sea), sunbathing, reading and swimming; the rest of the time is taken up by trips of one sort or another, or car hire etc. We don't even like to stay in apartments, always a hotel, so it isn't the style of holiday that has made us say to everyone who asked how our holiday was, 'It was OK'. We usually say 'It was brilliant'.

Quite simply, Arillas just didn't feel 'Greek' enough, so it seemed like we weren't as much 'on holiday' as we usually feel. As for the person who said that bars etc. have to try to cater for everybody, why? In Skala Kalloni on Lesvos, Agia Anna on Naxos and Frikes on Ithaca there was not one single bar showing Sky Sports, nor could you buy any English food except the ubiquitous 'Full English Breakfast', and all three resorts were very well patronised by Brits, so it obviously isn't necessary to try to cater for everybody, only if you aren't very discriminatory about the people you will attract.

We love Greece, and will probably be back somewhere next year. If we could have the food from the Brouklis and the ambience of Lesvos all situated on Naxos, we would probably have the perfect holiday. As it is, we're still searching. We're really happy that so many people love Arillas, and we hope that it dosen't start to go downhill, but just bear in mind that it's unlikely to get any better than it is now, so enjoy it while you can.

Cheers

Sam

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 03:02:54 PM »
Not sure about your comment "........ the type of people you will attract........"!!!  I also work hard and don't get much time off! 

Anyway, as a 'glass half full' type of person and, as we say up here in the North - "Ne'er mind, eh chuck!"  At least you'll be glad to be back home!

Hope you have better luck next time.
Cheryl O

Booking.com