Author Topic: Arillas first and last  (Read 21111 times)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: Arillas first and last
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 04:02:59 PM »
 Whilst we had a very good holiday in Arillas it was down to a combination of many factors much of which has already been discussed on this site anyway. I do agree though that it was not the 'paradise' I thought it would be after going to Elafonisos and Falasarna in Crete which is like that (fabulous beaches and lagoons), but we loved it nonetheless.  Arillas reminds me of a very sleepy uk seaside resort, very quiet, not many shops, couple of pubs and cafes (similar to what you would find on the south coast here) but with the lovely weather, scenery and nice restaurants which are Greek which makes it special. I think if the weather was bad, food horrible, accomodation rough and the people unfriendly then I would def. not go back, but we experienced something completely opposite which is is why we are going back, although as much as we loved Arillas I dont know exactly if we would like to retire there, being on holiday is totally different from living there permanently.   There are so many places like Arillas dotted about the mainland and islands of Greece we have just not found them all yet but if we like a 'special spot' then why waste time looking, just book and go!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

stokiesam

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 05:07:21 PM »
Exactly my point made in the last post. We most emphatically do not want a 'very sleepy uk seaside resort' transplanted to Greece, we want somewhere Greek. We have found that all the other places we've been, just not in Arillas. I have no o desire to upset the Arillas devotees who post here, but it just wasn't what we like. Our holiday was perfectly fine, just not what we were expecting even having read every post on this forum, plus lots of other stuff on the web as well. Horses for courses, etc. Obviously thousands of people like Kavos, Benitses and Sidari, but even passing through any of those on a coach is enough to make us cringe.

Offline harold

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 06:47:16 PM »
Just proves everyone is different and peoples views are different.Interetsing point from Blongirl about Elafonissi we have a picture on one of our calanders and would love to try it.I have read abit about the place and how the Turks found all the greek women and children on an island there and killed them all.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 08:57:49 PM »
Hi Harold,  I didnt really know the history of Elafonisos but it changes every time we go there because it is windy and the changing tides alters the beach and lagoons.  It is a protected place now, no sunbeds allowed at all on the beach, only one little snack bar and a couple of toilets (portaloos), which we avoid using for obvious reasons.  The sand is pink, really pink and the water is safe and very shallow until you hit the rocks but even then it only comes up to your chest. I have got very many happy memories laying on my lilo being carried gently along by the waves, using my feet as supports on the sand and sifting out the sand looking for tiny shells.  You can walk through the sea or around the beach to the little nature reserve island, nudists are there though,  they arent very discreet so be warned, as there is nothing to warn you that you will find nudists. I am always very sad to leave this place. This beach is about as much as paradise in Greece as you can get it, and passing through the tiny villages in the hills and through the gorges are fantastic!  We got lost one year and we were so high up we thought it was raining but it was mist..and it was scorching hot. Now that is real Greece when you actually get to a village and not one person speaks any English at all but they all have tv. very surreal in the middle of nowhere! 

If you fancy a change and want to try it just ask and I have lots of info. we have friends that live there, married to Greeks and run a restaurant.  We email all the time and can always get info.

Stokiesam, I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.  I am sorry if you did not get the spirit of what I was saying.

Offline Diane x

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2006, 12:56:17 AM »
I t has been my first visit toArillas this year and had the best holiday ever. My 17 year old daughter loved it, that is her topic of conversation 24/7 !

The one thing that sets Arillas apart from anywhere  else is the sincerity of the locals hotel/ bar/ restaurant owners, nothing quite like it. It may not be some ppl's idea of paradise, but what is PARADISE ?

The mozzies, well they always have breakfast, dinner and tea on me wherever I go ! The hospitality more than makes up for that.
Special mentions to  Spiro, Jimmy & BILLY @ the RAINBOW COMPLEX they could teach us some lessons in hospitality.

just embrace ARILLAS IF U CAN !

Diane

Offline Diane x

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2006, 01:00:28 AM »
just one thing i forgot to mention about the lack of "greekness" I didn't see or hear any visitors making the effort to use the local lingo ! We have invested in the BBC Grreek conversationa course on cd !

Diane

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2006, 01:49:41 AM »
Thanks Blondgirl,now you have made it that we want to go even more,but will have to try and fit it in as a second holiday(we will see).
Sinbadgirl good idea the bbc course it is quiet basic but it gets you started and as Dimitris once said to me if you learn one word a day thats 365 per year and you can have a good chat with that amount.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 12:20:13 PM »
Just a thought but...if Stokiesam likes the 'unspoilt' Greece then surely he wouldnt have been searching out bars anyway, as-correct me if I'm wrong-but the locals tend to just hang around the tavernas so the offensive 'Sky Sports' wouldnt have come into the picture.

What I mean to say is that, there are plenty tavena's in Arillas where you can sit and have a relaxing (NON BRITISH!!!!!) drink but I think that its great that there are also bars where my husband can watch his beloved footy in his favourite spot in the whole world.  Our worse nightmare would be to be in Sidari but we all work hard all year and i dont see anything wrong with doing a little of the things you would do at home but without the horrible thought of getting up for work the next day in the rain! Dont know if that makes sense but I hate it when people dont love Arillas!!  Feel very protective of it and yes, i know the PC thing is to say everyone's entitled to their opinions etc but some people seem to like having a moan!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2006, 02:27:20 PM »
Jo ~ Exactly!

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2006, 03:21:47 PM »
Moans make wrinkles!
Lindypops.

Offline jericlin2

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
  • Jericlin
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2006, 12:50:06 AM »
And wrinkles make you moan, and soon it will be " moaning all wrinklies" !

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2006, 12:54:43 AM »
or "wrinklies all moaning" ha!

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2006, 01:55:26 AM »
Aye. Wrinkles are no good. Just be yaself n be happy.
Lindypops.

Offline corfu2002

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2006, 02:45:49 PM »
We went, quite a few years ago to a tiny little place in Greece though we had visited Greece a couple of times before, were aware of the usual basic

facilities,but what we, had could have spoiled some peoples holidays,I had a choice one to complain,We had a tiny room for three, a loo with no ,seat a balcony open to

guests whos rooms were next to ours and half a bathroom door,mostly cold water. electrcity that was erratic.no swimming pool.What we did have though was a clean room.

hospitable hosts beautiful views the sea in front of us .2 Tavernas on the beach a kiosk selling everything you could need yes even a British newspaper that my husband

would wait for.(check out the sports pages).We do laugh about it it now and feel nostalgic about it.My son was only young at the time and loved it ,cried when we left

to come home. I sat that first morning looked at our tiny room with its ranch style bathroom door 3 weeny towels for our cold showers and my little boy, who

was excited and we headed for the beach,Complain I didnt what about? it was an adventure or we made it one anyway my liittle one played happily and safely with the

children on the beach both Greek and British.Taverna owners quickly realised he was a fussy eater(he hasnt changed) and would fry him potatoes not that we asked.

The Greeks are known for their hospitality they were happy to do so delighted that he loved them cooked in olive oil with herbs on,He still calls them greek chips. Now

cooking them himself.We did come across on one days wandering a large hotel complex with fab pool around a 30 min walk away from our studios with a snack bar

with club sandwiches oh and all day English breakfast!!Greek and English pop music playing lots of Greek teenagers and a wonderful atmosphere,whilst the Greek people

do not have to provide English lager, sky sports etc they choose too in the name of hospitality,We had a fab time the majority of other English guests feeling the same as

us ,just a minority were not happy at the lack of facilities in their rooms no Air conditioning not much hot water etc.

The reason why I love Arillas is the same feelings As above but with more facilities I can sit happily with either a cup of pg tips or typhoo!!! or a Greek coffee,all of us

dining together with our differing tastes Hubby happily getting merry be it ouzo, metaxa, English lager or the remants of my glass of wine.reading his british newspapers,

If he wants to go off and look for sky sports he can,this year he didnt just checking the footie scores from the paper.while I sit reading the corfiot news(in English).

The feeling of wellbeing and safety the general ambience in Arillas the Small children playing happily,safely like we once were able to do,a sense of community with both

other British holiday makers and the locals themselves teenagers able to do their thing yet safely.even a day of heavy rain and a couple of storms didnt spoli it only

brought more people talking and laughing happily together, no work to worry about at least whilst we are there.

Apologies for the long post,and its relevance??? I would be off to Arillas tomorrow if it was possible!!!!Oh by the way I am getting, wrinkles moaning that I want to go back now!!

Offline John B

• Holiday in Heaven
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2006, 03:25:43 PM »
Hi Corfu 2002;

What a fantastic post, just brilliant.Well said!

John

Booking.com