Author Topic: Arillas first and last  (Read 21106 times)

Offline corfu2002

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
Re: Arillas first and last
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2006, 03:59:27 PM »
Hi John,

Thank you, I was worried I may have rambled a bit,but had to try! and put into words what Arillas means to me and my family.

As well as all the other Arillas posters on here who love all that it offers for each of us ,in its own way without becoming another

Sidari,As I have  said before the locals also love it ,and feel proud of it and Im sure it will never head down that road.

Thanks John Im glad now I wrote what I was feeling!

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2006, 06:25:52 PM »
i second that
what a fantastic message
it was great reading it.
i actually love Arilas but i dont mind sidari either.
prefer to go beggining of may to sidari as its pretty quiet.
going to sidari in may next year as daughter will be 18
and said she would ike sidari so sidari here we come :)
hope to get to Arillas in sept next year.
suexx

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2006, 07:12:25 PM »
Hi Corfu2002.  I loved your posting about it all being an adventure which holidays can be. You put into words just how I felt!  Great!  My wrinkles have got wrinkles waiting to go back!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline corfu2002

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2006, 08:08:41 PM »
:)Hi Sue,

My son will also be 18 and,he and his Dad headed for Sidari early one morning to use a cash point,and were gone a lot longer than I had expected,I was surprised

when they returned to hear that My Son thought it was great They had had brekkie in a Greek Taverna/Bar had a walk around,yes it was early Hubby looked at my

surprised face and said they have some nice bars, helpful pleasant locals and chatted with some British Holiday makers who were friendly and having a great Holiday so I

reluctantly agreed that mmm yes nice! Having only passed through whilst it was peak season and busy Now you have made me think about it. I have never stayed there

But if my son wants to and he will be 18,I feel a little more happier about it Him booking especially as you have the experience of both places and and love Arillas too.:

I must mention this, Greek Taxi Driver bringing them back from Sidari quipped when my hubby was trying to give directions left, right, up the road by Ina's etc etc .OK OK I know where.

"This isnt New York you know, its Arillas"!

Offline Ang

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2006, 08:43:24 PM »
Each to their own I say,Im glad that those who do not like Arillas will not be coming back.
Ang

stokiesam

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2006, 10:56:50 AM »
I'm sure I said in one of my posts that I realised that many people love Arillas, and that's absolutely fine. All I said was that we didn't, and it seems to me that some of the replies here have approached having the attitude, 'Oh, you hate Arillas, so we hate you, don't come back, good riddance'.

This kind of attitude reminds me of America in the fifties, with the witch-hunts against communism, because they thought it was an attack on their way of life. Surely, if the American way of life was so wonderful, then communism could be no threat to it. Similarly, people getting so upset about 1 couple not liking Arillas and having the honesty to say so and explain why (and quite politely, I thought), indiactes to me that maybe they aren't quite so secure about the paradisaical nature of the place.

Please try to retain some kind of balanced view. I hate broccoli, but I don't complain about other people liking it, and I don't experience any animosity from them either. Surely, many people come to this site and forum to find out about Arillas, and I would have to say, from my experience, they don't get the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Almost everyone who posts here is so enamoured with Arillas, that they seem unable to see that it isn't perfect, any more than anywhere else is.

Arillas was recommended to us by a couple we met on Ithaca, who (like us), found it a little too quiet there, with perhaps too little to do. They pointed us to Dimitris' website and everything we read led us to think we would love the place. Sadly, we were wrong. Wouldn't it be better for prospective visitors to get the view of someone who isn't so much in love with the place?

Offline AndyG

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2006, 11:17:31 AM »
sometimes, people take criticism to heart, even when its constructive. Each to their own, one man's meat is another man's poison. We really like Arillas and plan to go back in the future but that won't stop us from trying elsewhere in the world. I'm sorry you didn't like it and wish you had but I don't think you should be castigated for not liking it. As you say, we all like different things and we should be happy about that, makes that world go round. I for one hope that you do keep coming back to the forum as you have personal views on Arillas and may give other visitor a more ballanced picture of the lovely place we call Arillas. Life's for living not for falling out. people have the right to voice their concerns even if we might not agree with them. I don't on this occasion, I love the place but thats my opinion!

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2006, 12:27:10 PM »
At the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is what this forum is for, to voice that whether it be good, bad or indifferent.

Not everyone who goes to Arillas will love or like it, its each to their own taste, just like a few people on here cant bear the thought of going to Sidari because of what theyve seen as they travel through or what theyve heard (i know theyre not the same but its an example), but just because 1 couples view on Arillas isnt like all the rest of ours doesnt mean it will make us suddenly not like it or it will harm the place, i know those of us who do love Arillas are very protective of the place but you just have to accept that not everyones tastes are not the same.

Im sorry that your holiday wasnt all that you thought it would crack up to be, but that doesnt make me not want to go back because i love it there, which is my point to the other forum members i suppose if you get what i mean, i just hope your next holiday brings you everything you wish for.......

Offline jan-c

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2006, 12:46:34 PM »
I think a holiday is what you make of it , and not to build expectaions before you get there  , if its not your cup of tea , you try somewere else , some people never try the same place twice , we went to Salou in Spain 5 year ago and hated it, but on the other hand my brother has been there three year in a row with his kids and loves it , it just shows a difference of opinion , we prefer the laid back approach to holidays whick Arillas and other places in Greece provide , but personally with forums like these have found to be a great source of info , and we can usually get the jist of a place before we go and based on that have never had a bad holiday .

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2006, 03:39:04 PM »
Stokiesam - from reading the posts, my own included, no one has said they hate you as you state!  Everybody accepts that we are all entitled to an opinion.  I think you have annoyed people (well, me anyway!) with your choice of words.  Like I put in a post earlier about 'the type of people you attract' - that's a slur on us not Arillas.  What exactly are you trying to say about people who love the place? 

I've taken offence at being judged as a certain type of person when you've never met me!

I don't care less whether you like the place!  It has no effect on me at all and how I feel! 
Cheryl O

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2006, 04:02:33 PM »
I thought this subject had come to an end.... seems like it is likely to go on for some time..  anyone going to Blackpool, Bognor, Brighton next year! Ha ha! I have nothing against these places but personally I wouldnt go there for two weeks holiday but some people like to go there and also I live 25 miles from the south coast and wouldnt stay there for a holiday by choice either.  I think a lot of where you go for holidays depends a lot on how much it costs too.  I would like to go to the Caribean but cant afford that, so the Greek Islands and especially Arillas are the next best thing and is such good value for money without the hassle of long haul flights, injections etc. etc.  There is a nice feeling of going back to somewhere you have been before, relaxing straight away and it is also nice to have a complete change too and try somewhere else which I like to do for change of scenery etc.

Hey, we are all different and like lots of different things, food etc. thats what makes life interesting.  If people from other countries come to the UK they look for different things too and who is to say we have anything truly English now (except typical roast etc.) as we are so multi lingural and cultural, we cater for everyone here too. 

Don't you find it fascinating that even in little Arillas there is a small chinese restaurant, is the chef truly chinese or is he a Greek chef who has learnt to cook chinese food, and when you think of it even chinese food isnt truly authentic, its all catering for european tastes anyway.  Anyow, I digress.    What I mean to say is Does It Really matter!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

stokiesam

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2006, 04:11:17 PM »
Each to their own I say,Im glad that those who do not like Arillas will not be coming back.
Ang

I almost don't know where to start! I was referring to the post quoted above when I said the stuff about 'good riddance'. Also, nowhere did I make any statement which could be construed as a slur on the visitors to Arillas, except by a few of the ultra-sensitive people on here who take the slightest criticism of Arillas as a personal affront. I merely said that in attempting to cater for everybody you then can't be discriminatory about the people you will attract. In other words, if you provide the kind of attractions that will cater for people who want roast beef and yorkshire pudding, followed by apple crumble and custard, and continual Sky sports etc, then that's the kind of people you will get, and I'm sorry if that describes you, but that is the kind of person I go on holiday to Greece to get away from. That may sound snobbish, but I really don't care.

I am also in no way trying to persuade Arillas lovers to stop going. Why on earth should I? If you like Arillas, then go to Arillas, just don't get so angry just because someone doesn't like it.

Also, if anyone had bothered to really read my initial post, they would have seen that the primary reason we didn't enjoy our holiday was the mosquitoes. I repeat, even with taking all the recommended precautions, Jan had to spend 5 days on antibiotics and creams, and coudn't go into the pool for that part of our holiday. The overwhelming number of mosquitoes is the main reason for us probably never considering anywhere in Corfu again. It simply spoilt most of Jan's holiday and probably made all the other things I've said seem much more important than they would have done without the bites.

You can criticize me all you like from now on, but I'm afraid that the 'We Love Arillas' fascists are now making me remove this site and forum from my 'Favourites' list, and I will never be back.

Enjoy!!

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2006, 04:24:45 PM »
There you go again - how do you know if I'm ultra sensitive or not??????? 

I've had enough of this too, I log on to the site to check out the webcam, chat with nice friendly people, get a bit of info and assist in some small way if I can with a query!  Not be insulted by someone who doesn't know me for my choice of holiday venue!!
Cheryl O

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2006, 05:02:41 PM »
I think this particular post should now be finished, stokiesam obviously has a bit of a problem with some people on here and their opinions and vice versa, but im sorry to say he'll probably always find 'some sort of person' that he doesnt like on holiday and that resort caters to something he doesnt agree with, and yes it does make you sound very snobby!!

May i suggest a deserted island!!!

Offline corfu2002

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2006, 05:48:16 PM »
HI StokieSam,You were entitled to your opinion that is what this Forum is about,and you gave your opinion based on your own experience whilst in Arillas,Whilst the people on the forum were also entitled to theirs and they gave their own reasons for loving it,and that is fair what was not fair was that some of your opinions were
either ill thought out or rude!I did prefer to believe that was unintentional,until I read further posts were you were indeed rude.
What is so wrong with  sky sports and roast beef? Im not interested in that myself but My Husband loves his Sport is that wrong?I dont eat meat but my Family do My husband
also sometimes takes to wearing a cricket hat on hols cringe yes I do!will he take it off no chance. what we do have are manners and the ability to try not to judge people on their likes and dislikes but as people.

I do feel sorry that you didnt enjoy your hols that what we all work towards and agree that it must have been awful to have an adverse reaction to the mosquitoes bites
such as your wife Jan had, not much fun being unwell on holiday I know that from my own experience ,although I didnt receive any bites again we are not all the same.
The majority of people also said you were entitled to your opinion,and were sorry  you didnt enjoy it.I genuinely wish both you and your Wife all the best.

Booking.com