Author Topic: Hotel Marvel/Marvellous  (Read 22242 times)

Offline Grinch

Hotel Marvel/Marvellous
« on: October 05, 2006, 03:40:46 AM »
Before returning to the Marvel this Sept, I checked the site to see how things were going, I was rather shocked to find a number of people were rather unhappy with the hotel. I read such comments as un friendly, food not good, too expensive just to mention a few, so on my return, I made my duty to test other Tavernas, ie Brouklis & Sea Breeze in particular as they were getting some very good reports. Well I'm pleased to report all the hype of the Marvel being expensive I found to be incorrect, on comparing other places prices, they were mainly around the same amount, i will point out the Marvels specials were normally cheaper, plus there is the extra 10% off if your staying at the Marvel. The Sea Breeze was, how do you say poor, tomatos that were fit for soup only not salad, in general quality was very poor & i felt rather dodgy after, the red wine (which was sold as the best medium you can get) was fit only for cooking with. The Brouklis also failed to meet expectations, the garlic bread was more like thick sliced fried bread, the meatballs stuffed with cheese, yes lots of mince, as for a stuffing, it was the size of a small marble, infact down right bad. Sorry to say folks as everyone in Arillas is great, the Marvel came out tops in all departments, going by the number of repeat bookings they are getting, i would say many agree. Dont get me wrong I will keep trying all the other Tavernas, i do believe in chefs having a bad day (should Know being one myself). One last dig at the whingeing poms as some of my old friends would say, taking into account the heavy hand of Spiros when pouring drinks, the ouzo you get as well as others The Marvels drink prices are fine also. Well i've had my say and look forward to seeing the hard hitting replies. Lets keep everyone on their toes, you cant keep everyone happy all the time.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: Hotel Marvel/Marvellous
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 10:47:27 AM »
We never tried the Marvel, although some people who stayed where we did regularly went there and said it was good food and very good value.  We would go to the Captains across the road and would feel a bit of a renegade if we walked past and didnt go in.  We really must try the Marvel though and spread our holiday money around the different restaurants a bit.  There are a few others we want to try like Costas too. We went to Brouklis in the evening, managing to get a table but we preferred a lunch time there.  But, back to the Marvel we only heard good reports.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Debbie & Lee

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 12:03:33 PM »
I would like to add my comments in support of the Marvel Hotel.  Having been there for a second time in June, I have just booked up to return there again next year.
The hotel is very clean, the food is good and it's in a nice location.
The staff are very friendly, however, I've heard reports that some guests make no effort to be friendly themselves, so what do they expect? 
I have had many meals at the hotel but also like to try out other tavernas (and by my second holiday to Arillas think I have gained a reasonable idea of where the food and drink is particularly good) and many an evening enjoying the hospitality of Spiros and Kostas.
Put it this way, this is the only hotel in Greece that I have returned to more than once and I can't wait to get back there!

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 12:10:42 PM »
Hi Grinch,

We have only ever popped into the Marvel for a drink on our walk back from the beach.  On our next visit...in the name of research of course ;-) and on the strength of your recommendation we will linger longer to take sample their fare :-)

Eileen

Offline JustL@@KiN

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
    • Arillas Tourist Map UK
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 05:32:43 PM »
Sorry Posted to Wrong Topic :(
Author Of Arillas Tourist Map UK - http://arillasmap.awardspace.co.uk/

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 01:12:22 PM »
Grinch
I have just picked up your posting and have a question for you.
If the Sea Breeze had, in your opinion,tomatoes only fit for soup and red wine only fit for cookiing,then obviously you did not eat the former or drink the latter. I see that you felt very strongly about these 2 items so I would like to know what the manager said when you complained to him.
Telli

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 11:57:21 PM »
Oh dear!  I see another debate happening here!  I am keeping out of this one...

Offline sunfan

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 12:23:23 AM »
Glad to read the favourable reports on the Marvel as we have booked two weeks there next September.  Stayed at the Galini this year but although very nice and clean, the trek up the hill was a bit much last thing at night and the Marvel looked really nice.  I have to say that there are lots of nice places to eat and drink in Arillas and all very reasonably priced.  Didn't have a bad meal the whole fortnight and had two fantastic weeks of sunshine.  This is the first time I have ever booked to go back to the same place and am sure I won't be disappointed.

Offline burger

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 03:19:43 AM »
i ate at the marvel once during my stay last month,and i can't praise it enough,myself & friends had the oven roast lamb special,it was lovely,the staff were friendly and the service was great,can't comment on accomodation,as i stayed at the galini  :(
the marvel  looked very clean from the restaurant end,i certainly would like to try it for a stay sometime

Offline gemmalou

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 02:23:27 PM »
Me and my partner stayed at The Marvel this year for the first time and i have to say it was the best holiday i have ever been on. We are both in our early twenties and enjoyed the company of Spiros that much we spent the whole of the two weeks sitting at the bar with him every night. I would say it is one of the best things about Arillas, and we enjoyed it that much we are going back next year for two weeks again. We found that The Marvel was one of the cheapest and finest restaurants in Arillas, if we didnt eat there we would go to The Pizzeria down the road. Everything abou the Marvel is fantasic (apart from the mozzies!!)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 02:37:33 PM »
I am sorry...... cant help myself !!!!!    Sunfan we stayed at the Galini and must admit that whilst we had a fantastic time in June I did find the trek back a bit much, not so much at night but during the day after being on the beach as it was so hot.  We want to 'hit' the Marvel next year because of the good reports, but we are staying at the Bardis Sun, its a bit nearer the beach. 

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 02:39:02 PM »
Im glad you enjoyed your holiday!!

Dont take this the wrong way, but didnt you venture out of an evening at all to sample some of the other places to eat and drink??  Arillas does have so much more to offer.

Glad you liked it that much that youre going again! :-)

Offline a good friend

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 06:31:47 PM »
Dear friend ,

i have the habit to watch daily the comments of this site as
i m intrested to know what s going on in the area and being
kept updated for several reasons!
I want to believe that whatever has been written in this Forum
has a value because it s purely spontaneous and subjectively
true!
Writing several comments and waiting for a debate it makes
me wonder how subjective and personal might be as personally i wouldn t
ever try to promote a place by accusing  anotherone!

Also i am seriously wondering if you have visited the right place
called "Brooklis" as ,they never make garlic bread or meatballs
stuffed with cheese!!! (i admit that i ve been there many times
but also to the rest restaurants of the area)

As it concerns the Sea Breeze poor quality ,i don t think that
a "mature" tomatoe can really spoil the reputation of a place !!!

It s true that the Marvel hotel is good ,i ve heard and read  positive
comments about it and i haven t ever seen  something really bad in this
site about it (a place no matter how good it is can t really satisfy
everyone!!)
Except for what we eat and drink we all have to deal with the
owners personal touch and the general atnmosphere of the place!!!

Visiting the area for many years ,i had the chance to visit most of the
local business and meet most of the people!

Most of the restaurants (not to say all) were more than satisfied
comparing to what it was paid!
Mentioning about the good value at the Marvel  i would like  to
read a specific example so that people can compare!(as i mentioned
before a good value for you may not be for me or somebody else...)

Reading the several comments of this site you just get an idea of
how things are,what the majority of the people think about a specific
place .(we call it reputation).

Negative comments are much less than the positive as the people who usually write
are very good friends of Arillas  or new funs of it  full of enthusiasm
and dreams to come back!!

Don t expect then ,for a debate as people can find out and see by
themselves who is exaggerating in this site ,who is writing from the heart and who
is not!!!
I wish that the specific Forum will keep it s reliability and love for the  area
and it s people (local and visitors),and it won t become a ring for contrasts
as i would become very disapointed  and it would work out in a very negative
way for everyone...

Please ,don t provoque it and don t let it happen .......

Thanking you in advance...

With my  warmest regards

a good friend

Offline gaye

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 12:25:40 AM »
Have to make a comment! Brouklis is fantastic..........lovely food and great host! Sea Breeze hhmmph!!!
I hate to complain. All of the restaurateers do a fantastic job BUT our first night this year in Arillas we decided to do Sea Breeze because we had arrived latish and were tired. Admittedly we arrived at 9 pm, not late by Corfiot standards, but did not eat until 12. 30. Food was not good and we were sorry that we had gone.

Having said that, lunches were ok and service was good.

Feel mean now saying this but it was not a good start to our holiday!!

p.s. we had 2 young children with us !
gaygo

Offline gemmalou

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 05:44:48 PM »
Not taken the wrong way Smiffy. We did go to other places but had a good time chatting to other people and getting drunk with Spiros pouring Ouzo down our necks! But we will prob try more places nxt year.

Booking.com