Author Topic: Wild flowers of Corfu.  (Read 32232 times)

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Wild flowers of Corfu.
« on: June 11, 2004, 10:30:47 AM »
Hello Petals.  :wink:

Can anyone recommend a good book specializing in the wildflowers of Corfu or even Greece in general.

Thank you,

Eileen. :)

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
Re: Wild flowers of Corfu.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 11:20:14 AM »
Hi Eileen, I know its quite some time since you asked the question but I have found a book  called Flowers of Greece & the Aegean by Anthony Huxley and William Taylor (hogarth press) if you havent already got it by now. lol Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 12:45:53 PM »

Crikey Viv how time flies, that was almost 4 years ago...would you believe it?!  Were you passing an hour going over our old posts?  I must do that myself one day, it might be fun...or cringworthy! :-o

Thanks for the tip, yep after much research I found that book and many others.  I enjoy passing many an hour with a glass of the old vino in hand while looking at the photos.  One of my favourite books is this...
http://astore.amazon.co.uk/biology-21/detail/9608639549  The author Jennifer Gay wrote a regular column in the Athens News which became so popular she decided to write a book.

Eileenxxx

Offline holliepos

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 12:53:42 PM »
Hi there,

This is not really about wild flowers as such, but the other day I posted a question on the 'recipes' forum which you may be able to answer. I have a Greek recipe book which quite often refers to 'wild field vegetables'. Do you know what these are, and which English plants may be substituted?

Angie

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 01:23:29 PM »
Angie, 'wild field vegetables' are otherwise known as Horta.

This is what Aglaia Kremezi --a  journalist, writer, photographer and food columnist- says about it....

"Every day, the ingenious Greek cook manages to create a new, interesting and delicious dish from the same few, humble ingredients. Let’s take horta –the wild or cultivated greens— as an example: Horta are steamed or blanched and made into salad, simply dressed with lemon juice and olive oil; they are sautéed with onions or garlic and supplemented with homemade pasta or cheese to make a more substantial meal. Greens are also added to a flour-based soup or porridge to feed the family, or mixed into batter and fried to make patties. When meat or poultry are available, the greens can be added to it and finished with avgolemono, the delicious egg and lemon sauce, to create a Sunday meal.  And, of course, the various greens are the base of many pies, large or small, baked or fried. The most famous are the large pies baked in Metsovo, on the extreme northwest, while very popular are also the small fried greens turnovers of Crete. Both dishes contain seven or more different varieties of horta, each complementing the other in flavor and aroma."

Here is another short article I found...

"The healthiest thing you can eat in Greece are the hortas, or wild greens which if you come in the winter and spring you will see women picking by the side of the road. In the summer they eat vleeta which is wild amaranth and has been eaten since ancient times. In the winter they eat horta, which can be any one of a number of wild greens. Horta is usually a little bitter but is still delicious. Wild greens are boiled and then served with olive oil and lemon and are high in anti-oxidants as well as vitamins and minerals. "

Eileenx

Offline holliepos

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »
Brilliant!!

Many thanks for that Eileen.

All I have to do now , is to bring my cooking abilities up to Greek standards!- trouble is, it just doesn't taste the same in a cold, wet yorkshire - no matter how much metaxa you've imbibed!

Angie

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 08:53:38 PM »
Eileen I was looking to see who was on the site when it first began (mentioned by the Boss in a year passed) and well there we both were just like we are now, dosent seem 4 years since the forum started ive enjoyed every minute of it, we still have most of the old faithfulls with us even though a few have fallen at the wayside. Loads of love to you all Viv & Pete

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »
Hi Eileen
Were you passing an hour going over our old posts?  I must do that myself one day, it might be fun...or cringworthy!

Since we found Dimitris "new" website last October I have spent many hours going over old posts. Never cringed at all! Even mine!

I guess you are the first lady of Arillas Forum. We love your posts and expert knowledge. Hoping to meet you one day and buy you a glass of whatever you drink. Suspect it is far too healthy for us!

Will be there in July at Annas - and almost certainly all of September. Just come up and say hello.

and Holliepos - try Thalassa's take on brandy - it's the BEST.

phil

And your post on Greek wild vegetables was enlightening. I ADORE that sort of food.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 09:24:30 PM »
Phil and Jen...can tell you haven't met Eileen yet....lol....sorry Eileen...couldn't resist!
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 10:16:47 PM »
Dear Sandy
Jen cracked up when she saw your post. She realised my words about "far too healthy" were the problem.

And Eileen, first lady of the forum, come and join Anna and Phil's black russian challenge in July. Promises to be a blinder! A modern take on the wine festival?

with great misgivings and lots of love
phil AND jen

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 10:56:26 AM »
Thank you for your compliments Phil and Jen...what a good impression I must present if you suspected that I'd opt for the healthy options drinkwise!   Mind you they do say that drinking red wine everyday increases longevity...I'm putting it into practice. :-)

I'm over at the beginning of May, not sure if I will be over in July or September yet, but if I am I'll be up for the Black Russian challenge.  Sandy if you are over at the same time we can always prop each other up on the way home. :o

I'm curious, what's this about the Thalasas take on brandy, it sounds very interesting.

On the subject of longevity, red wine and eating your greens you might want to take up the following challenge... http://www.peterrussell.com/Odds/RealAge.php

Eileenxxx

P.S. I'll get you back Sandy for spoiling my wholesome image ;-)

riggers

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 11:07:54 AM »
Hi Eileen.
I have just done the test and it says at the end (i can't believe you are still alive). lol

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 11:14:41 AM »
:-)   :-)   :-)   :-)

With a sense of humour like that I think you'll be around for a long time yet!!!!

Eileenx

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 08:04:24 PM »
riggers - it said I was already dead! How wrong could that be....

Eileen - the black russian is ON. Hope you're a competitor. Sandy will HAVE to carry you down the hill!!! And as for brandy, Giannis and Litsa in Thalassa (plug intended) offer a wonderful brandy as standard (Metaxa 7 I think but could be wrong) for a silly low price - try it!

And to try and get back on thread, Jen and me are both wild flowers. And more and more we become part of the community of Arillas in ways we can't post.

loads of love
phil

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 10:57:36 PM »
Wild flowers are good. Don`t hide your light etc.
Lindypops.

Booking.com