Author Topic: wish i was there  (Read 11134 times)

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
Re: wish i was there
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 11:49:59 AM »
Yeah id love to be able to have the luxury of not having to work and just packing up and setting off round the Greek Isles with no time limit, would be just heaven!!  It does seem that because its out of season its a bit of a trek to get to some places!!

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 12:22:09 PM »
Small airports are great for beating the queues and if all goes to plan they are a great alternative, albiet usually miles from the actual city they serve,  however if your flight picks up delays or tech issues you can end up stranded and out of pocket as there is no support available, the more expensive carriers have representatives at all overseas airports, the no-frills guys don't, but as with everything you get what you pay for and 9 times out of 10 it does all go to plan.

Where in Manchester are you Joe we are in Stockport

I work at Manchester Airport but live in Bolton right next door to the Reebok stadium, about 40 minutes away normally but again 90 minutes today as people drive to close to each other in the rain and crash........don't get me started, you know how bad the traffic is in and out of Stockport, its even worse than my direction.

Offline sinbads little girl

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 08:16:36 PM »
Yeah id love to be able to have the luxury of not having to work and just packing up and setting off round the Greek Isles with no time limit, would be just heaven!! It does seem that because its out of season its a bit of a trek to get to some places!!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
i know the feeling id love to be on land in the winter and sail round in the summer for a few weeks at a time. i would love to live anywhere on Corfu well maybe thats wrong not one or two villages(the one that chase u with olive oil i cant remember an names but try keep away if u no wot i mean)could u imagine living in Arillas all year round meeting new people all the time it would be my heaven maybe when Ive finished college and find a job out there can always keep dreaming luv little miss aka Hannah

Maggie

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 10:07:21 PM »
  The smallest airport i ever saw was in Pierre, South Dakota.
   I didn't know that they did anything small in America, but
   that took some beating. The terminal was like a cowshed,
   and the bags were brought in on a wee trailer. The only
  planes that go there are just wee puddle jumpers, and you
   have to walk to and from them. There were about a dozen
   seats in the terminal hut. lol. We hired a car there and I
   swear it was grandpa walton that brought it to us. Then he
   said 'when you go back, leave it in the car park with the keys
   in it. It'll be fine! We never heard any more, so I presume it
   must have been o.k. (not many places in America you can
   do that either).

Offline C

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 10:33:11 AM »
We have been logging on and looking at the photo of the day, and checking the weather, ever since we got back on 31st October.   All three of us wish so much to be back in Arillas.

I have been trying to work out how to get us there out of season, with even thinking of Eurostar to Paris, and then the Stendahl train to Venice and then the ferry, but its all so expensive (and takes days!).  Driving is another option, or even (and this is at the moment just a fantasy whilst daughter is still at school), taking a kitted out Lanrover (husband's passion), camping en-route and getting deck passage on the ferry (you can sleep in your vehicle if equipped) from Venice to Corfu, and then we would have a car whilst there.   We could camp in it, and just rent a room occassionally (to have a shower for instance!).

Bliss.   But it would have to be for a good few weeks, so maybe when daughter has left home, and we have retired..............but I maybe by then there will be out-of-season, cheap, direct flights?  Or teleportation??

Anyway, have a fantastic Christmas Joe, we are very envious.

And seasons greetings to all of you!!!!!

Caroline

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 10:37:06 AM »
I was wondering about a cheap Ryannair flight to Brindisi then getting the ferry to Corfu, But they might not do the boat out of season. Or perhaps a flight from Brindisi to Corfu which is only about 1/2 hr,  we had to stop there  to refuel before we could land at corfu last year.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 11:32:47 AM »
Most of the ferries operate all year round but at a much reduced timetable, I always use this site its about as accurate any can be when travelling by Greek Ferry, as Lozicle once said in a previous thread times are in GMT (Greek Standard Time).

I would love to live anywhere on Corfu well maybe that’s wrong not one or two villages(the one that chase u with olive oil I cant remember an names but try keep away if u no wot i mean)

Its called Makrades as long as my spelling is holding up, very crazy place that could only exist in Corfu, I think its one of the oldest towns, our Thomas Cook brochures actually recommend tourists to go there, perhaps the locals are on commission.

Offline Lozicle

• Arillas Addict
  • That's me :)
    • http://www.myspace.com/lozicle
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 11:37:30 AM »
heheh Greek Maybe Time (GMT) :D :D

Thanks for posting the ferry info, going to give that a peruse in a bit :D

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 12:15:52 PM »
Oops, should pay more attention to my typing....

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 02:40:44 PM »
Makrades Joe. - Brings back loads of good memories.
Years ago I used to pay regular visits to the "Mimosa"  a little Taverna sat right oppostite the more "upmarket" one that coachloads of tourists used to pile into. Poor Thomas at the Mimosa, nearly empty, watching, mostly German tourists being "sheperded" into a Taverna across the road.
How sad is that? - A traditional looking Taverna but people going for what they are used to perhaps.
I went there on average 3 times a week,sometimes for Breakfast, sometimes mid afternoons, had a couiple of drinks and just watched the world go around. The map and olive oil sellers got so used to me passing that they eventually gave up. I got to know Thomas and his father quite well so it was very sad when one following year I went back and his father had died the previous winter.
I must have been going there twice a year for 5/6 years with the last year being probably 3 years ago.
When I arrived that year the place was closed and I was informed Thomas had left to pursue his ambition to be a priest. I have driven past since and someone else runs it now. Maybe another visit sometime?
Happy Days eh? - And yes, I wish I was there now.
Regards
Negg

Offline C

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 03:45:18 PM »
Oh yes - Makrades!
We passed through there on the way to Paleokastritsa in October and a man leapt out at us, waved the car to a halt and then stuck his head in the driver's window, leered at us and virtually forced us out to try his wine!  a bit un-nerving to say the least.  On the way back I just said "keep your foot down and don't make eye contact!".  We still laugh about it ("where you like-a to go today?".  He even offered to sell us his house to 5 million Euros!)

Caroline

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 06:43:46 PM »
Thanks Neggy, I've only been through Makrades once that I remember on the way to Paliokastritsa or Palio-catswiskers when I was younger. My mum told me a story about one of her friends in Corfu losing a bet and as a forfeit they had to sit in the road and try and sell some olive Oil to the passing tourists, the locals in Makrades found it hilarious and they sat outside together drinking wine all day long getting quite drunk, it is beloved they managed to sell the Olive Oil but no seems to remeber clearly :-)

Offline sinbads little girl

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 07:09:23 PM »
JOE glad u knew where i ment the name had gone in my head but you remembered. Ive had some right laugh there but also some scary time i thought my dad was going to run the old women over cos she just jumped at us. maybe wen I'm 88 i live there and join in the selling. we had a laugh an a joke because they always knew when a car was coming i think they have a webcam up the hill or were ever best to trap us. the lads at the rainbow bar was saying they have never had that problem it must just be us maybe we smell diffrent because its not all looks. well ill get off tea ready and i could do with warm food after the cold and wet day at college. luv lil miss

Offline gaye

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2006, 11:09:40 PM »
Makrades what a great place! Is it possible to bypass it on the way to Paleo? I don't think so!

I have really fond memories. In 2001 we stayed in San Steph with our daughters and their very good friend aged 13.

On the way back from Paleo we were accosted by the map people and bought some local wine.

Word must have got round because we were hounded for the rest of our journey through the village!

Finally, we drove past an elderly lady clearly sleeping at the side of the road who woke at the sound of our car and leapt out to flag us down.

I will never forget Maria's laughter.....it rang round the hills. She wanted to go back to take photos!

10 days after our return Maria died suddenly [ Sudden Adolescent Death Syndrome ] but every we time we drive through there , and we do so deliberately now , I hear her laughter which was quite distinctive!! and remember her with great love.
gaygo

Offline Cheryl2307

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2006, 01:36:21 PM »
Gaye that's so sad.  I've never heard of that condition.  At least you've got lovely memories of her!
Cheryl O

Booking.com