Author Topic: WALK TO SAN STEFANOS  (Read 43589 times)

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
WALK TO SAN STEFANOS
« on: December 31, 2006, 06:33:48 PM »
Does anybody know if you can walk from Arillas to San Stefanos, and if so where do you start from - preferably along the coast rather than the boring road.  (I have just read through some replies, I don't mean that the walk is boring by the road, just dont fancy walking along the main road with all the traffic rushing past).  We dont mind road walks, just as long as the traffic is not too heavy because it can be a bit hairy sometimes especially with the big lorries!!.   Has anybody else eaten in the Thalassa restaurant in Arillas run by Litsa and Yianni and their lovely dog Charlie the Golden Retriever.  We went to Arillias last May (2006), and loved every minute of it and ended up eating most of our evening meals at the Thalassa.  We are going back this year the 1st week of September (2007), and can't wait.  Would love to hear from anybody.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: WALK TO SAN STEFANOS
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 08:48:32 PM »
You can get to San Stefanos in about an hour, I think.
Turn right at Arillas beach, up the hill and just follow the view. Via the road is turn right before the Armorada Taverna, to the top of the hill and follow the signs. A bit boring as you say and just as many "ups & downs"
You will ,I'm sure, get better directions fairly soon.
Regards
Negg

Offline steve3456

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
    • http://www.caravanhire.org
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 10:28:58 PM »
Yes the wife and i walked to San Stefanos over the hill there and back by the road fantastic views, my advice would be to start early before the heat of the day and take water

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 11:55:29 AM »
Def. agree with Steve.  Take the coast road, do it early on before it gets too hot... and you can reward yourself with breakfast on the beach in San Stef which is what we did.  Unfortunately, we had the long walk back in the middle of the day but we enjoyed it anyway.  If you take the road behind the Galini (see map on this site) follow the road through the olive groves all the way until you get to a small VERY steep hill you will come to a small church, bear left and follow the road which joins up to the main road which leads to San Stef. When you come to a junction you can bear left to Arillas or carry on to San Stef.  Not all that boring really as looking at the lovely houses and gardens is interesting too.  All goes round in a circle really, albeit a very large one!  We go in June/July this year and cant wait either! 

We ate in the Thassalo only once which was lovely but you will see from this forum that everyone has their favourites!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline harold

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 12:10:07 PM »
Hillls are not that bad though,i am waiting for a replacement knee and Sally and I do the walk every year,we do the Afionis walk as well
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 06:19:28 PM »
I did the beachfront walk over to San Stefanos with my Mum over Christmas and I'm very sorry to say that the path just up from the end of Arillas Beach is collapsing very badly and may soon fall completely onto the beach and be unusable. The locals seem to be doing what they can but it likes like it’s only a matter of time. We came back the longer route through the Olive vines and orange trees which were still as beautiful as ever.

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 03:46:12 PM »
I guess the trail will just get trampled back a bit further into the underbrush next year.

I should say its more like 40 minutes either way, unless you are really meandering.

We have done San George in an hour. Admittedly we got a water Taxi back after that. Phew!
Thats worth taking some water for and definitely leaving before the heat of the day gets up.

Arillas is a good location for a bit of walking.
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 03:49:37 PM »
Yes we really Like the Thallassa. Especially.....started drooling already.... Yiannis mums Prawn Saganaki.

It was really tempting to do the starter and main course on this!

Looking forward to more of that in May.

Yum.
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 04:19:28 PM »
The erosion is pretty severe and its toward the bottom of the path where the grass verge on the other side is pretty high, there is plenty of room to push the path inland but it will take some serious equipment to do it.

I can see the Tour operators having serious issues with the state of the path. Thanks to the wonderful age we live in if a holidaymaker falls down on that path and hurts themselves they may be able to claim against the tour operator as we brought them there. Utter madness and all it achieves it higher insurance and holiday prices for all the tourists and major disruption to the locals.

......mini rant over!

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 04:50:08 PM »
Oh no we dont want higher prices!!  Maybe something will be done about it because they will obviously not want to risk anyone getting hurt and then people not returning??

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Joe all the tour companys need to us put up a sign saying this path is dangerous and you use it at your own risk.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 05:30:30 PM »
I would love to put a sign up saying:

"Path is obviously not like the footpaths back at home so if you do fall and hurt yourself please blame nobody but yourself"

Unfortunately holidaymakers have claimed for similar incidents and won, it’s amazing, we almost have to wrap everybody in cotton wool these days.  I'm not that old but when I was brought up I was taught to take responsibility for my own actions.

To cite another example my best friend is a chef and over Christmas someone threatened to sue over the fact they burnt their mouth on steak pie and weren’t warned it was going to be hot, the upshot of this is in the future menu’s at this chain may have to carry a warning about hot meals being hot please take care. I am 100% serious, when is common sense going to prevail.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 05:38:47 PM »
You are joking??!!  That is absolutely ridiculous, its getting beyond silly now, you normally complain if the food is not cooked properly and still cold, some people!!!

But as you say, if there was a sign saying that by the footpath and people saw it and still went ahead and then injured themselves, no doubt they would sue the tour company and they will probably still get a pay out, always a way with some people!

Joe have you filed a case with the alcohol company after your tumble ;-) !!

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 05:48:08 PM »
If I could sue myself for stupidity I would, and most likely win. Seriously who in their right mind would attempt that path on a cloudy wet night without a torch?

Me, thats who in a Mythos induced haze.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 05:56:05 PM »
I'm getting the feeling Mythos has alot to answer for!!

Booking.com