Author Topic: Afionas/Dionysys???  (Read 17409 times)

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
Re: Afionas/Dionysys???
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 05:53:19 PM »
In all seriousness make sure you check it out, at sunset would be even better but be careful it does get busy on summer nights.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 05:56:51 PM »
In what sense are you talking 'busy' Joe??

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 06:09:39 PM »
Very popular for dining during the Sunset, you may need to book.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 06:18:29 PM »
Sorry got the wrong end of the stick then, i thought you meant the beach got busy at sunset!!

Yeah we will definitley go, looks lovely, cant wait!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 07:26:47 PM »
Sunset Beach looks amazing.  I got so excited looking at it I want to go now!!

I must have a longer look when I have got time. I dont want to rush it.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 09:51:46 PM »
This place is an absolute must.  My hubby found it a couple of years ago and has always wanted to show me it but we could never get there because of our kiddies.  Last year, we hired one of those beach buggies and because we went with extra family we actually managed to wangle a blissful hour to ourselves!

Anyway, when I saw that view I was blown away (not literally, thank god!!).  Infact, silly as it sounds, it really made me quite emotional.  We have promised ourselves that we will renew our wedding vows there one day. 

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 12:15:23 PM »
Smiffy

In my opinion the best time to visit Dionysos Restaurant is during the day as opposed to evening, preferably have long lunch there.
The reason is that you the high sun brings out the colours in the water of Agios Georgios bay.  In the evening the water loses its colour.  However the evening sunsets from the headland behind Dionysos Restaurant can be marvellous as the sun drops behind the islands.  There are a few benches to sit and wait.

A taxi journey should only take a few minutes from Arillas but the problem might be the cost as the taxi will probably have to come from the rank in Sidari .   Ask around when you are there if there is a taxi actually based in Arillas. 

I am sure you can walk it though. The middle part is a bit tough but coming back it is all downhill !!

We became friends with the Bardis brothers, who own Dionysos, some years ago through our visits to the taverna. They are such a lovely family that I made the web page on my site to help them.
http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/dionysos.htm

Can I ask a favour when you return home after your holiday  ?   Please consider writing a few words about your visit to the restaurant on my web-site Guestbook for the benefit of other visitors to the area. The same applies to anyone else who has enjoyed their visit to this gem of a place.

http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/comments.htm

Dennis

Offline pg32

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 12:48:31 PM »
This place looks beautiful and im sure we will definately pay it a visit when we go to Arillas in September.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 01:03:11 PM »
Hi Dennis,

Nice to see you here...I love your username...that sums you up perfect. :-)

I've got to agree with you about a daytime visit to Dionysos.  For the evening I like to take full advantage of the sunset by visiting the 3 Brothers or Panorama.

When we are taking friends or family for their first visit to Arillas we stop enroute to Arillas for a drink in Dionysos. It never fails to take their breath away and ensures a great start to their holiday, especiallly if it's May when all the wild flowers are in bloom. :-)

Although I'm always passing your website onto others I clean forgot about your guestbook....consider it done when I return in May

Eileen.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 02:02:28 PM »
I too will put a few words on the guestbook about our visit also, cant wait!!

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 07:30:02 PM »
Thanks both of you for the promises.

Like most of us I am limited to a few weeks visit to Corfu each summer and have to make do with nice photos on my computer desktop. I have made a few available for lovers of the area to make use of.

So if anyone wants a photo for their computers desktop background I have recently added a web page with links to some large nice photographs for downloading. There are several taken from Dionysos Restaurant, a sunset from Afionas, and a lovely one of the cliffs at Peroulades (Sunset Beach) in daytime. 

They are really too large for general web use but are ideal for desktops. http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/desktops.htm

Regrettably I have to add a watermark as my photographs regularly get hi-jacked by other web-sites. It is easy to disguise this by re-arranging your desktop icons but if anyone wants a photo without it you can request one from my web-site email link.

Dennis

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 12:19:26 PM »
This definately looks like a place to visit.  Must try and get there.

Jo, I also get emotional about a beautiful view too.  I did when we first went to the Lake District in the UK many years ago and then I saw the Samaria Gorge in Crete, they are wonderful sights to see and are overwhelming.  I felt very moved too when I saw the sunset in Agios Gordis on our first visit to Corfu, absolutely fabulous.  I will never forget it!  Now, we are further North in Arillas and they are just as beautiful.

Offline pg32

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 01:40:29 PM »
My wifes dad lives in Shetland and the views up there are absolutely breath taking. There are so many different lanscapes up there, its just a wonderful place to travel around taking it all in. My 3 favourite places are Eshaness, which is rugged spectacular sheer cliff kind of scenary, St Ninians isle which is a beach, i think they call it a tombola, where you have sea on one side and sea on the other side and they are both different oceans. In the summer you would think you were abroad somewhere, the water is so clear. The last place is Norwick beach which is on Unst (the most northern isle of the Shetlands). We go walking every day when we are up there and some of the views we are seeing on here are definately going to get us out walking when we visit. If you search on the internet there are afew different Shetland sites with some very good photographs if you are interested.

Offline kriopigi girl

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 02:41:49 PM »

Really pleased I am not the only one who fills up when they encounter a fabulous view. I cried like a baby when I turned the corner to see the view of the caldera whilst on holiday in Santorini one year.

Hubby thought there was something wrong with me as I was recovering from a big operation and he panicked !!!!!!!! Pauline x

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007, 01:11:29 PM »
Its lovely to sharing these views with someone, you just have to say something dont you.

I have never been to the Shetlands, I didnt even know much about the Islands until we met a lovely couple, Brenda and John and  their family who live there.  We were all staying at the same place in Arillas last year.  Its such a challenge for them to get off the island, I was amazed.  It sounds a beautiful but quite a difficult place to live. B and J probably know the places you have mentioned.  I did have a look at one website but will check it out again.  There are some wonderful places in the UK too arent there?

Booking.com