Exchange Rate

Started by Eggy, February 02, 2007, 09:14:56 PM

Eggy

Keep an eye on the Euro, Folks. It's hovering at e1.517 at Bank Rate and about e1.46 at Tourist.
Maybe I'm wrong but I think it was about e1.40 this time last year.
Negg

vivian

Got 1.475 last week at travel agents down rd, no commision.

Stay Nude it ante rude

Ang

Well worth getting a cpl of £100 changed early then?? I better go get some
Ang

burger

why not just take a few euros for what you need,then just withdraw euros from your bank a/c with your card at a cashpoint,i took about £500 worth of euros with me,and withdrew extra  with my nationwide flex account card last year and got a better exchange rate than tourist rates,and no transaction charge either

Jo Wissett

thats all well ang good but isnt the nearest atm sidari?

blondegirl

I think there is a link on here for the nearest ATM.. there is one nearer now I think.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

blondegirl

Try further down this topic and the nearest ATM is mentioned there.  I added this some time ago as I had read it on Corfu Agni.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

burger

Quote from: Jo Wissett on February 07, 2007, 10:09:03 PM
thats all well ang good but isnt the nearest atm sidari?

now arillas has it's own atm at last!!!!

James W

My wife got a good deal this morning.

We went to the local Currency Exchange and she got 150 Euros for £100, that's er.... ummm.....  1.5 Euros to £1 

How did she get such a good rate?

I bought 300 for for 1.43/£ and re-sold them to her, that's how.  ;-)

I do this sort of thing every time.

When in Bulgaria I did a similar thing in our hotel lobby, but another holidaymaker thought I was a private Currency Exchanger, and was interested at getting such a good rate from me.

I had to inform her what I was doing, and directed her to the 'Official' Money Changer.  She was a bit miffed.   :-)

Eggy

James
Bring a pen & paper and explain this one to me. If you buy at e1.43 and sell at e1.5 are you not on a loser? Or am I looking at it the wrong way?
I seem to remember the plane, on the way home, saying you can use your euros up and offering an exchange greater than the resort. ( Pay in £'s and it was cheaper)
( It's e1.459 today by the way )
Negg

Eggy

e1.464 today in a breezy Arillas so a good exchange for anyone coming over tomorrow or next Monday.
Negg

James W

Hi Neill.
           I only do this sort of thing to my wife. (I'd be broke in no time otherwise)
The first time I did it, she had to take a while to work it out.  :-)

I may lose on the deal initially, but she returns the favour in kind   ;-)

Eggy

September 6th you will see that the exchange was e1.464.
Today it's only e1.417.

So £500 at Sept got you e732 and now gets you e708.
Around £17 or £3.40 lower per £100 changed before commission. ( £3.32 after )

Thats one helluva drop over the last 6 weeks and obviously reflects end of season.

Anyone know what it is in England today?
Negg

M n M

Neil

its about 1.36

Mick  :-(

Eggy

Thanks Mick
so £500  at e1.36 is 667 euros
and £500 at e1.41 is 691 euros.
( After 2% commision )
About £ 3.40 per £100 if you can bring commission free t/c's or cash with you.

Doesn't sound a lot but if you're flight only and pay for your appt when here and get a car for a week and take cigs home, plus meals , then I make that a conservative saving of about £30.
( If you had got them at e1.467, 6 weeks ago, you would have made a total of £65 )

All figures based on expenditure of £900. The mind boggles.
Anybody want to double check figures. I'm having a Terry W moment here.
Negg