Author Topic: cost of living  (Read 6888 times)

Offline mumsy2

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
cost of living
« on: February 14, 2007, 08:16:33 PM »
Hi,

would anyone actually living in Corfu be willing to give us some guide lines on how much a month basic cost of living is.  i.e a basic grocery bill, nothing to fancy for two. and services such as electric and gas, and is there a water bill?  I know there are lots of books but  we would like some more up to date info.  We think we might just come over and leave the estate agent to sell the house. so we need to know if our income (pension) will stretch during the interim. Marie

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
Re: cost of living
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 09:00:37 PM »
Hi, If you go to Corfu travel guide ther is a load about living in Corfu and im sure somebody will answer all your questions. Best of luck with your plans. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 09:04:09 PM »
Hi Marie
I think this could be another one for "Poor ole Joe" as his family lives over there. We've certainly picked his brain more than a few times recently!. I think, providing you don't want too many English food stuffs like Salad Cream,Heinz Beans,Cornflakes etc then you should have a reasonable weekly food bill. The Fresh meat is probably a bit cheaper than England and it's very lean. Chicken, I think, is the cheapest meat on the Island so if you love Chicken you should do well. I'm not sure about the Water/Electicity etc but surely it can't be so bad as England. I still don't know if you can drink the water(Boiled) or have to continually go for bottled.
We'd be interested to know when you propose to go over. You can send us a P.M if you like.
Cheers
Negg

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 12:30:57 PM »
I was going to say the same thing, one for Joe to tackle, im sure he doesnt mind though!

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 12:03:25 PM »
Hmm, you could write pages on that question but keeping it brief and from my family’s experience:

The basic cost of living is cheaper but not by as much as you think, certain things tend to be a lot more expensive than here in the UK (bread & veg for example) whereas others are much cheaper (meat). As a very rough guide from what my mum told me is if your weekly shop in the UK was £40 then it will be approx  €40 in Corfu, not an exact science I know but it gives an idea. It’s also worth remembering that it is much much cheaper to eat out. My Mum bought a big freezer for winter and stocked up at LIDL in Corfu Town, this saved them loads and has proved to be a really good idea, there is an English Store in Corfu Town but as Eggy pointed out be prepared to pay a premium for this items you know and love as they are specially imported, a pack of 40p crumpets was over €2, tasted damn good though. English bacon was my other vice but that was quite reasonable especially in summer as all the tourists demand it for their “Full English”.

If I remember this correctly you pay a set tax to live on the island and I believe this includes your water charge and road tax, memory is a little hazy on this. Your house will have en electricity meter which either you or your landlord will read, as a rule fuel is cheaper than back home but in Winter these houses do not retain heat so be prepared for high heating costs, I know people who have diesel heating systems and the costs to run this over a cold winter can be as high as €1000, my Mum and Paul have a real open fire which has saved them a lot but they only heat one room all day and use radiators in the bedroom at night. Bear in mind much like back in the UK prices are going up all the time, especially property.

When you put things side by side it is cheaper to live in Corfu but a lot of the conveniences we have here are missing, never underestimate how much we take 24hr supermarkets for granted these days. On the flip side you have the sense of community in Corfu so if you are stuck for something there is always somebody to help. My Mum and Paul love it and don’t regret it for a second, the pace of life suits them perfectly, it would still be a little but to quiet for me but perhaps some day in the future. I hope this helps a bit, any other questions please ask.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 02:57:43 PM »
Well Done Again Joe. - I think that if we bump into each other in Arillas this year you allow us to treat you to a drink, or two - or three maybe?
Regards
Negg

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 03:30:14 PM »
That would be fantastic Negg, would be great to see more of you in person. Keeping with the title of this thread though its looking like I may not get out for a full holiday this year seeing I’ve just had to replace my cooker, fridge and car all this month, it upsets me just how much money I have had to spend but at least it gave me the chance to finally decorate my kitchen.

Anyway, back on track it looks like I may just be going for 3 or 4 long weekends, we have flights on Fridays & Mondays which I can hitch a lift and stay at my mum's so it will cost me next to nothing thankfully, though I will miss out on a chilled out week in Arillas. My rough dates are the start of May, June, and the middle of September so if anybody is round then, yes lets go for a drink (or three, four, five……).

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 06:27:59 PM »
Forget to mention in my previous post that they always use bottled water for drinking, never tap. This doesn't really work out expensive though as it costs next to nothing, you can even have it delivered.

Offline mumsy2

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 07:54:33 PM »
Thanks Joe, it certainly sounds good. We cant wait to get over there.  When we doI  hope we too will meet up with you for a drink.  I wont be looking for a little pink being, so who will I be looking for?  Negg, do you live there too?  Marie

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 09:03:58 PM »
Joe
We're still on target for 2nd week in May this year for xxxxxxx number of Months. - Who knows.
It would be good to get together and put faces to names etc and share an ouzo or 3.
( My picture doesn't do me justice - I'm uglier than that.!!! )
One more question though. We're getting conflicting reports about health care costs from, it being free if you have an up to date P60 to possibly taking out a Policy. What's the word on the street?? (Police Squad Jargon)

Marie, Not there yet but it could be getting frightnenley close. Maybe we can pool info via a few P.M's.?
A very scary, but exciting time for all of us I suspect?
Regards
Neill Egg. - Negg

Offline Fiona

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 01:01:47 AM »
Neill I'm so pleased to hear that everything is on course and hope we can meet up when we are over 9th - 23rd June.  Sure to see you in Brouklis.

For the benefit of everyone else - it's not true about Negg being uglier than his photo and I think he looks much younger in the flesh!!

Fiona

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 11:54:53 AM »
Neil, you portrait actually looks like you a pondering over some deep thoughts, Amstel or Mythos perhaps?? If I can pull a few strings here I will hopefully be out early May but I’m not rocking the boat to much at the moment with this My Travel merger happening, think it’s a little better to fly under the radar for a while.

Not making any assumptions about age but if you are drawing a UK pension you are entitled to free healthcare, otherwise it will cost you. Neither my Mum or Paul have any form of medical insurance and Paul has a well renowned dodgy back, the treatments in Arillas don’t seem to be costing much and my mum, bless her is now retired so entitled to her free medical bills.

I wont be looking for a little pink being, so who will I be looking for?

Ha ha, I don’t like pictures of myself but I will change it to one the looks slightly more like me so you all know who I am :-)

Offline Fiona

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 02:15:10 PM »
That was very interesting - thanks Joe. 
Free healthcare is a bonus I wasn't expecting in 2009.  I was expecting I would have to travel back to the UK every six months or so to pick up supplies!!

Fiona

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 02:35:09 PM »
Hi Fiona,

Also don't forget you can get anti-biotics without prescription, the closest pharmacy is Sidari, just make sure you get the right ones. Regarding that PM you sent a while back, I haven't forgotten, just waiting on people to get back to me, everything seems to run slow in winter, if I don't hear anything in the next couple of weeks I'll try and find you some telephone numbers.

Joe

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 02:49:55 PM »
Fiona
Thank you for your kind words. Mind you I've had a lot of stress recently!
We should see you both in June.

Joe
Thanks again. Not of Pension Age yet - Well , mentally maybe but not physically.

Best Wishes to all
Negg

Booking.com