Author Topic: mozzies  (Read 10914 times)

Offline erric

mozzies
« on: May 15, 2007, 11:29:36 PM »
Can anyone tell me if mozzies are a problem in August ? I'm their favourite meal !!!!!
E.W.Greenwood

Offline Fiona

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Re: mozzies
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 12:32:39 AM »
Hi Erric

It's a good idea to use a repellent when you go out - especially at night.  Boots Aftersun with mosquito repellent is recommended by lots of people and seems to work well.  We always give the room a good spray before going out at night - get a mozzie spray from any of the local supermarkets.  We also burn the coils when sitting out on the balcony which seem to be pretty effective.

If you are unlucky enough to get bitten, don't forget that the sea is fantastic for taking the itch and swelling away!!

Enjoy your holiday
Fiona

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 12:59:07 AM »
So was I last year along with the sand flies I was  a good meal for them for 2 weeks!

It took 3 weeks after I got back for them to go.  I am determined not to go through that again so I am armed to the teeth this year!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 11:54:32 AM »
We also take the plug ins and change them twice a day.  That keeps the little blighters out of the room!

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 12:13:54 PM »
I am also armed with all i can get, in Tescos they have a travel size aerosol spray to kill mozzies, flies etc, its red with a black top, this is with all the suncreams and mozzie repellants etc, i have the plug in, the sprays to spray on ourselves, afterbite in case i do get bitten and in Boots they have suncream (their own brand) which has mozzie repellant in it in case theyre out when sunbathing (you never know)!

Also with the Boots own suncream, they come in little foil pouches with a screw on nozzle, these are ideal if you use say 3 different factors whilst away, this saves wastage cos you dont have to buy the big bottle size of each factor and plus they weigh alot less than the big bottles of suncream, so im getting those.

Going to get my last minute bits tonight or tomorrow then i can just concentrate on my holiday!

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 12:40:40 PM »
You're well prepared then Smiffy - if they manage to bite you will all that, it will be a miracle!

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 01:12:48 PM »
Thanks Smiffy, I shall have to try the Boots suncream pouches this year.
Last year I used an Avon Insect Repellent in Croatia, but it seemed to have the reverse effect on the flying green beetles there - they loved it!!!
L  :}

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 01:18:29 PM »
We also burn the coils when sitting out on the balcony which seem to be pretty effective.

This has to be the best possible advice, anything that burns seems to deter them the most, coils, scented candles, etc, are really effective.

Not sure what the best advice is when you're out and about at night other than to cover up as much as is comfortable, most of the UK repellents are very hit and miss. Smoking helps keep them at bay :) they don’t like the smell.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 02:32:56 PM »
Youre welcome, just thought people would appreciate the idea of the pouches as much as i do, theyre not bulky, theyre compact and no waste of loads of cream, i use 3 different factors when im away, start high and work my way down, i hated having to buy bottles of each and not using it all, then id end up just leaving it there save bringing it all the way home again, so the shops have cottoned on to this and are now doing little bottles or pouches, fab!!

Thats what i though aswell Shuey, but i bet one still feels brave and decides to hold its nose and come after me anyway :-) !

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 02:37:55 PM »
I've heard the little blighters don't like the smell of Marmite either!
:}

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 03:27:24 PM »
I've been told that perfume/aftershave attracts them too - not sure how true it is!

If you get one in a week thats not so bad Smiffy!

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
I have heard that they don't like garlic, but in my case it is not true. I am their favourite dinner globally, any time anywhere. Once I get bitten the bites swell up quickly and then the manic itchy and scrathy show starts.

I also rely on the Boots suncream with the mozzie repellant in the evenings. In my apartment there is a plug in and the spray and the coils burning away on the balcony.
Life is good ;)

Offline Hels Bels

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 03:53:05 PM »
Well, I covered myself in mozzie repellant moisturiser, used the plug in thingy, had a citronella candle going on the balcony and on the last night my other half left the apartment door open. I am now the proud owner of about 20 very itchy swelling mozzie bites! At least when the suntan fades, the scars will still show!!

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 04:19:07 PM »
never ever leave the windows or doors open at night, nothing can combat that :)

Offline Hels Bels

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 04:27:44 PM »
I know, but hubby was enjoying a last evening on the balcony and forgot! Lets say he'll never forget again!!!

Booking.com