Author Topic: Mozzies again!  (Read 9746 times)

Offline Rugbymad

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Mozzies again!
« on: May 18, 2007, 12:28:16 AM »
Are mozzies a problem all year round,or just at certain times of the year?
Are they worse say in July/August or may/june,september/october?
As i WILL get bitten as sure as eggs are eggs.

Offline Hels Bels

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Mozzies again!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 10:57:29 AM »
I Guess we'll have to get a local to answer this one, all I know is that I've been all times of the season to Corfu and have experienced Mozzie's each time. My preferentail defence against them is the spray but the moisturiser's are meant to be as good. Just remember to shut your doors at night!

Offline Cheryl2307

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 02:27:02 PM »
Last year we went in July and October and they were not as bad in October.  What I found strange was that with every family/group only one person seemed to get bitten.  It was my daughter who suffered (son and I were ok!) but she's odd that way and is allergic to wasp stings etc.  Some people's legs were horrendous (think there's other threads on this) they looked like huge big boils and very very sore.  We were advised to start taking Piriton a week before we left and I do think that helped her slightly.  We got a 'clicker thing' too but to be honest that didn't really help and after my son drove us mad by doing it to you when you weren't looking (and it hurts!), that got chucked away!  I buy Boots 50% deet - strips your nail polish it's that strong and I think my daughter did not apply properly hence the bites! 
Cheryl O

Offline Rugbymad

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 08:37:31 PM »
Thanks again for the advice.

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 09:32:20 PM »
I have heard that your blood type has something to do with how appetising you are to the little beasts. I am type O negative and they just love to have me as dinner. *cursing*
Life is good ;)

Offline Aly

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 12:45:37 AM »
The only mozzy deterrent I can offer, is don't get drunk and sleep with your mouth open!!!! As I found out to my horror - those darn creatures bit me on the mouth whilst I was snorring zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz hic hic and I looked like some sea-monster for 24-hours afterwards! Nice eh?

Offline Rugbymad

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 11:09:30 AM »
Very good advice there ALY.

Offline sheila

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 02:15:15 PM »
I have been told taking vitamin B tablets stops you getting bitten. You should takethem for a few weeks before you go and then while you are there. Also. Avons skin so soft is a good repellent.
SHEILA

Offline sinbads little girl

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 11:47:32 PM »
as ive said berfore take vit b1 2week before and while u there as well as garlic tablets the same try cooking with lots of garlic and a tea tree oil spot stick from boots or wilkos will help them go down an take away the pain.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 11:36:22 AM »
There were a lot of mozzies around the last couple of weeks but we didnt get as bitten as much as last year.  The Vit B1 taking it before and during the hols, also marmite on toast or crackers everyday (but it might be all in the mind!).  We did get air con this time which kept the room cool and the mozzies out.  I wont describe the moments of Mike chasing the mozzies with a towel like a helicopter blades above his head standing on his bed toooo much but it was good for a laugh!

Word of warning though that anyone going to the Arillas Bay Apartments behind the Sea Breeze, there is no air con at all.... no glass windows, only shutter doors. A couple were staying there and the young girl had 200 bites!!!  They popped over into the Bardis Studios spoke to Poppy and were able to get a room for a few nights that was left of their holiday.  They felt it was worth it rather than being bitten to death for the rest of it...  I dont know whether it is because it is a bit further back from the road and in amongst the trees and bushes.  Bobby at the Bardis said a visitor had an allergic reaction to a bite and had to have injections which cost him 100 euros a shot.

Lynda used SSS but it didnt work, within 1/2 hr she had about a dozen bites, I never used ours we had other stuff and also the clicker worked... Germolene was the best thing ever!  It helps to heal and also has an anesthetic in it to take out the itch.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline LivingstonFamily

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
  • ThePicOfDaniella
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 12:37:48 PM »
I get really badly bitten and its horrible we hyave tried almost evrything.

There are things that help stop them but never anything that totally gets rid of them.

We use the plug ins for the room and spray the room every morning before we go out to the pool and every evening before we go out for a meal.

We also cover ourselves in spray and lotion.

Julie- The Sun Soaker
Kev- The Jock
Daniella- The Terrapin Terror

Offline Diane x

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 01:46:11 PM »
Just flickin thro my Slimming World mag of all things, and found mozzyoff ! It is made from 100% natural plant oils and claims to not only stop you from being bitten , but also reduce the numba of mozzies that even land on you by 70% !
mozzyoff.com
We aren't even goin to bother with repellant this year, we will be wearing long trousers and long sleeved tops in the evening as we don't know whether most of it happens while we are sleepin or out in the evenin. We will find out !

Offline Manda

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 04:56:31 PM »
Tea tree oil and lavender oil mixed with water - stick it in a little spray bottle and shake it up. You can get the spray bottles from superdrug etc. Just spray it directly onto your skin and it helps keep the little so n so's off.  The spray also works on bites, or dab the oils directly on. Tea tree and lavender are the only 2 aromatherapy oils you can put undiluted onto the skin.

12 more sleeps :-)

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 11:59:26 PM »
I didn`t get bitten in May, but did in June. I ate raw garlic prior to going, and in June sprayed myself with fly spray of all things!
Lindypops.

Offline mikej

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 10:43:57 PM »
Just returned from Arillas on Monday and still can't wear proper shoes cos of the bites on the back of my feet (not a pretty sight) but can anybody tell if there are diferent types of things that bite as some seem to come to nothing whereas others are painful and just won't go away no matter what i do with them.
Mike.

Booking.com