Author Topic: Beach Cleanliness  (Read 20142 times)

Offline kes

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
Beach Cleanliness
« on: May 27, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
Just to say how the Beach has improved to the left of ther Jetty...Thanks to Yannis & Pedros who are out every morning raking the sand and removing any rubbish, setting up the beds & brioliies (even tables ).The improvement on last year is astonishing. Keep up the good work.....

Offline Lozicle

• Arillas Addict
  • That's me :)
    • http://www.myspace.com/lozicle
Re: Beach Cleanliness
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 12:19:21 PM »
That's good news. I don't think I've ever seen more than a handfull of people sat to the left of the jetty :)

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 12:59:49 PM »
Yes thats me the wife & the donut man! ;-)...its very handy for popping across the road (aprox 15yds) for the required refreshment..

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 01:40:04 PM »
Nikos and I did our best to clear up the start of season bottles etc that had been washed up on the nudist beach - and before anyone asks, I kept my kit on while we worked bearing in mind he would be serving my dinner that night!!!!! Dimitri - if you read this please get Pedros to collect the bags. I hope they survived yesterday's wind and rain......
Sandy x

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 06:08:58 PM »
There were lots of people down on the beach most days, i liked the fact there were tables too, a nice little touch, very clean and the water as clear as anything, lovely!

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 10:43:59 AM »
Got to admit we have never sat on that part of the beach.  We just seem to have breakfast at Portofino then cross the road and sit there.  Will have to sample that end of the beach in September.

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline Gary & Julie

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 07:31:42 PM »
I remmember sitting at the end of the peer last Aug at 7.30 am, yes I was waiting for a pick up coach for a diving trip, The two guys on the beach were nearly finished by this time and had done a terrific job of cleaning the beach, my only regret was that we "tourists" cannot look after it without assistance from others. It's a blue flag beach for all to enjoy, let's keep it that way.

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 11:27:50 AM »
Well said
Jill XXX

Offline alyvin

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 01:42:20 PM »
I agree that part of the beach was very clean this year. The guy looking after the area was continually raking and cleaning the area. Unfortunately the river was very smelly and was washing into the sea there. Apparently the smell was not from sewerage (how it smelled) but from the olive skins discarded after pressing for oil. Hopefully now the olives are picked and pressed the smell has gone!

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 02:49:01 PM »
Whilst staying at the Horizon, I could see the beach being raked and made clean and tidy everyday. I have also read the posts about the people who do this daily task and it made me wonder if Arillas had the equivalent to a parish council.

In our village, back in the UK we do get volunteers who mow the churchyard, but the council has to pay someone to keep other parts of the village tidy.

Do the residence of Arillas do the cleaning for free, or are they paid to do it?

I doubt if you could find a cleaner beach, or for that matter a cleaner village than Arillas.

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 03:06:39 PM »
Pedros & Spiros who look after the sunbeds on the beach across from the Horizon took it on themselves to clean the beach..which  is a big improvement ,as the last few years  beach was usually only cleaned at the start of season and that usually by the locals.... after that the only time it was cleaned was when the seaweed built up and the buldozers came in...
Again its up to visitors do do their part and not leave any rubish on the Beach..

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 05:10:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply Kes.

I agree with you about  visitors not leaving any rubbish on the beach, and also not dropping any in the streets. I think that the type of person who goes to Arillas would always dispose of any  rubbish in the appropriate bins anyway. The residents of Arillas should be very proud of their beach and the roads, plus it makes us "newcomers" want to visit again.

I was also found it nice to see, that when driving around the island, I did not see any vehicles disposed of by the road side as is sometimes the case in other countries.

Which of the two gentlemen usually wears a straw hat and maroon shorts? He was sometimes at the bar in the Horizon and was a really nice bloke.

Terry

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 05:25:34 PM »
There are enough public bins provided so there should be no need to dump rubbish.  If i cant find a bin i take it back to the hotel/appartment.

In 2005 driving through Sidari there was a smashed up car on its side.  It was on the one way system road behind the Mimosa hotel that brings you out by Macdonalds.  It was there for at least a week!

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 05:38:24 PM »
Terry... agree with all you say apart from the remark about cars being dumped..we have noticed quite a few dumped...Not at the side of the road, but usualy down a ravine off the side of roads...not to mention the ones still being driven... ;-)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 05:43:38 PM »
We saw the beach being raked and the girls (one of them was Jagorda from the galini) were brushing the sun beds, this was the last block of studios just before the cliff path.  Perhaps each "carer" of sun beds look after their own patch.  Jagorda is going out with Tom the blonde guy who looks after them to the right of the jetty.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Booking.com