Author Topic: maps of arillas/corfu  (Read 85481 times)

Offline justlynn

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: maps of arillas/corfu
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 03:23:55 PM »
Well pleased today!
Stephan's map arrived with a 3 page explanation of its history, and also a little map of how to get to the donkey rescue.  How's that for service?
It came in the same post as my Arillas Addict vest top, and Colin is telling me "you've bought the tee shirt and you haven't even been there yet!"
Oh well ......

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 05:06:10 PM »
Hahahaha Lynn that really did make me laugh, youve bought the T.Shirt before you can say 'been there, done that'!!!! ;-) !

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 05:20:43 PM »
Oh, I don't like to be too conventional!!!  :D

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 09:21:57 PM »
We bought the Marengo map/walk guide as well - it was very good but we only did a couple of the walks as:
a) it was hot
b) couldn't be bothered, although the descriptions were excellent
c) it was hot
d) found it easier to sit and drink Mythos
e) too lazy!!!
BUT
will definitely take it with us again next time (soon!) we go to Arillas!

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 07:42:26 PM »
Just to Say I too received Stephans Map today as per Lynn /Colin..fast delivery.. and  Hopefully it will help me to find my back to Arillas.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 09:24:14 PM »
I think its a great map and hope you have as much fun with it as we did. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 11:56:26 AM »
I also bought a copy of Stephans map and I was very impressed by the content and the speedy delivery. The detail of Corfu town was very useful especially for detail showing the one way systems.

I do have to say though that the best map of Corfu, by far, is the following:-

Published by: Road Editions 

ISBN number: 9789608481077

Series: Road Editions Greek Islands

Layout: Folded Maps, Scale 1:70 000 

To make it east to use for the Arillas and Corfu areas, I scanned the map and then printed "zoomed" copies to take with me so that the detail was easier to read.

Here is an example of the map

Terry

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 05:37:23 PM »
I dont know how you do it... you are so clever with all this computer stuff.

We saw a couple on holiday with this map and it looked very good.  His story of how he came up with the idea and how long it took him was interesting.  I wished we had got one, but then we didnt intend to hire a car but it would be interesting for walking, at least you can read it properly.  A very good and clear map we thought.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 05:58:09 PM »
Over the last few years I have aquired most of the maps & I still have troulble finding my way back to Arillas without a few detours..Mind we have seen some rare and wonderful sites..earlier this year we passed the same village four times and it was only when a group of locals sat outside a taverna waved to us on the final pass through that we stopped and asked the way home.You can guess none could speak English,so we just carried on and eventually followed a coach to
San Stephanos    ... .....mangaed to get back to Arillas from there.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 06:08:29 PM »
Terry puts us to shame doesnt he with all his computer wizardry, i wish i was that computer literate, im all proud when i do a smiley haha!!

Offline Mapman

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 06:58:32 PM »
Greetings and hi Everyone, just came across this great website today. I now live back in the UK, but during the 1990's I lived and worked in Nissaki in the north-east of the island.  I must say that Arillas was always one of my favourite places on the island, with its friendly, family atmosphere, beautiful beach and wonderful setting.  Its good to see it has it's own website! I enjoyed many days out  spent there, and saw some awesome sunsets.

One of the things that bugged me though was the scarcity of accurate maps.  Although I visted the area many times, I always got lost if I used the maps.  The junctions always seemed wrong and the roads just didn't seem right.  One could easily miss finding this gorgeous place.  It was one of the reasons why I eventually decided to make my own map.

Thank you all who mentioned the map which has proved extremely popular on-line.  I do sell it through the CTG forum and through Ebay.  Thank you too terryw, but that small section of the Road Editions map you  have kindly shown puzzles me a little bit.

I have been out of Corfu for a number of years now, but there do seem to be too many roads shown in the area.  I do understand that there have been quite a few improvements of previously unsurfaced tracks over recent years, but I must say I am very surprised at the extent of them in this small area if this map is correct.  Have you actually tried the Road Editions one out on the ground Terry?  I mean, are all those roads shown actually there? 

Stephan

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 09:33:10 PM »
Hi Mapman.

It was my first visit to Corfu so I did need some good maps. In my years of driving around Kefalonia I have learnt that one map was not good enough. I also found that the Road Edition Map for Kefalonia was very accurate. The maps are based on Greek military maps.

During my two weeks in Arillas I did a lot of driving and I did find the map very accurate. I didn't attempt any routes that were coloured whie (ie tracks) because my wife isn't always a happy passenger on narrow twisty roads with nasty drops.

I only got lost once, and that was on my journey from the Airport. I missed the left turn just after the Troupetta pass  and ended up in Roda. It was then very easy to follow the map from Roda to Arillas and also I got  the thrill of driving though Magoulades en route to Arillas

I do have to admit though, that on my first drive back to Arillas from Dafni I did find Eileens sign to Villa Linaka very useful. It was far more visible than the Arillas signpost.

In about 3 years time I guess we will all be able to use satnav anyway, even if its on our own  PDA in a hire car.

I must say Stephan that I am glad I bought your map and you should feel very proud that you have published a very good travel guide that was also very enjoyable to read.

Terry

Offline neilelaine

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 11:36:17 PM »
    We rented a car for three days and relied on Stephan's map and managed to see a good part of the northern end of Corfu and only got lost once! That was due to me getting overconfident on the way back from Rohda and not looking at the map.
    I found all the roads as marked on the map were accurate and just picked various places to visit and followed the map, a bit like a mystery tour. I enjoyed driving along the more minor roads, I found most of them a bit wider than those I am used to on Anglesey and the Llyenn Peninsula when we visit Wales! Every twist and turn seems to reveal a new landscape and there seems to be no end of small bays easily accessable on foot.
    I dont think we would have visited half the places we did without the map and would reccomend it to anybody, well done Stephan!

Neil, Elaine and family.

Offline Mapman

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2007, 12:00:33 PM »
Hi Neil, Elaine and Family.  I'm so glad that my map helped you find your way about.  As you say, it can be really enjoyable going along the minor roads, many of which are surprisingly well maintained and quiet too, with fantastic views. 
Being very interested in maps, especially Corfu, I collected all of the commercially available maps and compared them with mine.  Without exception, they all portrayed many, many roads that didn't exist, and many others that did exist were not shown.

They all seemed based on some common map from the past, (they all show the same wrong layout and "surplus" roads in the Arillas area, amongst others.) but differed in style and detail, which explains why so many drivers can be seen pulled over, scratching their heads as they look from the road to the map and back at the road again. 

This spurred me on to produce a really accurate one.  I actually checked out all of the roads and tracks either by car, motor scooter or cycle, so I was 100% sure they did exist.  (I also checked out many footpaths by foot, but admittedly there are sooooo many, that I couldn't possibly chart them all in a short time, besides which, they tend to come and go with usage, and other factors.) 

I used GPS to check the positions of all these roads, and found many discrepancies with the positions of the roads.  As you approach Arillas from the south east (the major route there from most destinations, including the airport) you go through Aspiotades and Dafni.  Shortly thereafter, you pass a couple of small roads that lead  to Armenades on the right, and then there is a T junction where you turn right for Kavadades, or left for Arillas and Afionas. a little further on there is  sharp right for Arillas, just following a left hand bend.  (If you keep on the Afionas road, there is a small road a short distance on that braches to the left, downwards towards Agios Georgios)

These were the junctions that always confused me with all the other maps.  Not only are their layouts depicted wrongly, but the apparent presence of nearby non-existent roads on these maps only compounded the problem.

Looking on the Road Editions map, there still seems to be that same problem.  I wonder how many other visitors to Arillas have encountered this, and can see what I mean? I'll have a go later at uploading a section of my map to try and illustrate the point.

Anyway, thanks Neil, Elaine and family for writing - it really is good to hear that you enjoyed yourself in this beautiful corner of Corfu.

Stephan

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2007, 12:22:50 PM »
People buy maps for different reasons. Some people just want to find a route from A to B such as from the Airport to Arillas, and some people want to explore and find things "off the beaten track". I would rather see  a map with every road or track detailed, and then I can decide if I want to walk or drive along it.

With all due respect Stephan, although your map is very good, there is no way that you could create a map that was really accurate, without having lots of resources available to you.

A good test of accuracy is to use the detailed part of Google Earth, on the North East coast of Corfu and then compare with various maps. I always use Google Earth when I am driving in the UK to an unknown destination, because it shows landmarks like school playing fields, Churches etc. It is a good way to check that the Sat Nav is working properly.

Terry

Booking.com