Author Topic: maps of arillas/corfu  (Read 85503 times)

Offline kes

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
Re: maps of arillas/corfu
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 12:45:20 PM »
How do you get to see a detailed view of Arillas on Google Earth?

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2007, 12:50:30 PM »
Mapman
Re your quote
"As you approach Arillas from the south east (the major route there from most destinations, including the airport) you go through Aspiotades and Dafni.  Shortly thereafter, you pass a couple of small roads that lead  to Armenades on the right, and then there is a T junction where you turn right for Kavadades, or left for Arillas and Afionas. a little further on there is  sharp right for Arillas, just following a left hand bend.  (If you keep on the Afionas road, there is a small road a short distance on that braches to the left, downwards towards Agios Georgios..These were the junctions that always confused me with all the other maps.  Not only are their layouts depicted wrongly, but the apparent presence of nearby non-existent roads on these maps only compounded the problem)"
Thats the reason I always get Lost ;-)

Offline Mapman

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2007, 01:31:46 PM »
Hi Terry, thanks for your comments again, glad to have a lively debate; I appreciate your point about resources - It took me over three years to single handedly cover the whole island, and the map was produced on a kitchen table using very primitive draughting materials (Pencils, pens and crayons - not a computer or satellite photo in sight), so I really got to know the island of Corfu quite intimitely - which is quite an advantage to actually being there on the ground.  The GPS at the time (In the mid 1990s) was still purposefully degraded by the Americans for "security reasons" and was on average, only accurate to about 200 meters, whereas today it will place you within about a meter.  That was why I took hundreds of readings averaged out over a few days to try and pinpoint important locations on the map, such as the positions of villages, and major road junctions. 

I'll admit that it is far from perfect, and in comparing my road layouts with those seen on the high resolution Google Earth pictures in the north east, the limitations of my GPS system do show up, but, and it really is a big but, the actual existence of the roads I show is confirmed, even if their actual positon is not as accurate as I hoped.  (I really look forward to Google Earth  coverage of the rest of Corfu as you no doubt do too)  I did conciously in fact somewhat exaggerate the curves and bends in relation to the scale of the map in order to give a more subjective feeling to the roads.  Looking at those satellite images, some of the roads are in fact much straighter than I had portrayed, but they certainly don't feel that way when you are driving along them, with hedgerows or sheer precipices to the sides. 

I can't compete with the big boys for resources, but resources don't always mean better - look at the Big names in maps, and their maps of the island are very sketchy and out-of-date, hence the public dissatisfaction with them.

I can see that we are probably going to have to agree to disagree on which is the best map (I certainly am biased towads mine, surprise, surprise), but you mention that you'd rather have a map that shows all
of the roads and tracks so that you can choose which to use yourself.  I am 100% in favour of that, but can you really,unequivocally state that all of the surfaced roads (even just in the Arillas area) shown on the Editions map do actually exist?  A far as I can see, even accounting for unsurfaced roads that have been tarmaced in the intervening years, there are still a few extra ones on the Editions, and the junction layouts seem far from correct. (Hence, perhaps why you initially ended up in Roda.)

I'm not looking for an argument in this, but would genuinely like to resolve this issue about "ghost" roads and the quality of Corfu maps in general.  There certainly are many differences between the Editions map and mine even in the relatively small area around Arillas.  From hundreds of reports I have received from people who have explored this area using my map who found their way about without any problems, I can't understand how I have "missed" all those other roads. 

Of course, ultimately, everyone will have their favourite maps, and it depends on how thoroughly you like to explore, but I shall upload a section from my map so that people can compare and make up their own minds.  It would be really good to get some feedback here from people who know the area intimately.

PS Google Earth at present only show a small area touching North east Corfu and the Kanoni peninsula.  The detail though is fantastic.  I really look forward to seeing coverage of the rest of the island, hopefully it won't be too long, so I can explore Corfu all over again, from the comfort of home, at any time.

Stephan

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2007, 01:43:56 PM »
Kes

The Detail of Arillas on Google Earth is only low definition ATM.

If you move over to the North East coast of Corfu. on Google Earth, you will see that it shows a lot more detail and you can even see swimming pools and houses. Google Earth is updated regularly so hopefully Arillas will be be shown with the same detail in a few months time.

If you use a program like "Snagit" (www.snagit.com) you can capture screen images as shown below.

Arillas on Google Earth Now...

Kassiopi on Google Earth

Terry

Offline Mapman

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2007, 01:49:30 PM »
Here goes - will try to upload image below.

Haven't tried this before, so please forgive me if it doesn't work.
Stephan

Offline Mapman

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2007, 02:30:53 PM »
I think I almost got the upload right...

By the way, thank you Dimitri for a great website that's well thought out and has a really good interface that's easy to use and comprehensive too!   I think you've done a brilliant job, and I see you're self-taught too - well done.  I shall certainly recommend this website to friends and acquaintances who are interested in the north west of Corfu.

Stephan

Offline Mapman

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2007, 02:43:44 PM »
"Thats the reason I always get Lost"
I thought so Kes - that's where most people end up going round in circles - I spent several days in that small area alone and I saw it happen many times ,not least to me!  I was really relieved when I got the layout right - and could assure myself that I wasn't really going mad! 
You can see it better in the section I have uploaded.  As they say "a picture paints a thousand words!"

Stephan

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2007, 03:02:39 PM »
Mapman
I must have 1/2 doz different maps of Corfu....
Its alot easier if you have someone in the car reading the map as you drive round..unfortunatey its not one of my wifes better attributes.......(hope she don`t read this)
I did purchase your map a few weeks ago..Hopefully I will be able to try it out in September...I will let you know how I go on.
(Thats if I can find my way back home) ;-)

Offline Mapman

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2007, 03:49:51 PM »
"..Hopefully I will be able to try it out in September...I will let you know how I go on."

Hi Kes, and I bet if you compare those maps, you'll see that they all make the same mistakes in that area (with the exception of mine, of course).   I've no doubt mine has a few mistakes, but at least they'll be different!  Anyway I hope you have a great time exploring and discovering Corfu and I look forward to hearing how you get on.  (On that other forum, my map seems especially popular with lady navigators who never knew they could navigate before, so I hope your wife finds it straightforward too.)
Good luck and best wishes,
Stephan

Offline Mapman

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2007, 04:16:17 PM »
"I do not understand what exacly UK ordnance survey map means"

Dimitri, these Ordnance Surveys survey maps are very detailed maps commissioned by HM Government.  Some were in fact made of Corfu in the 18th Century by the british army, but I've only seen snippets, and they were very faded.  To give you an idea of what they are, I'll upload a small section of one from the area where I live near Nottingham.

Hope this makes things clearer.

Stephan

Offline Mapman

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2007, 03:54:11 PM »
Regarding Satellite Navigation around Greece, and Corfu in general, a Greek company has produced the software that is compatible with certain types of GPS.  The mapping, although not perfect is pretty good when compared with other commercial mapping.   You can see it for yourself here:

http://www.forthnet.gr/templates/driveme.aspx?c=10009644&initialCenterX=149754.96000000002&initialCenterY=4393630.7&initialZoomLevel=2

Stephan

Offline Mapman

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2007, 11:10:28 PM »
Here's a bird's eye view of most of Arillas.

Stephan

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2007, 11:10:13 AM »
OO Hoe I wish I could do things like that. Im going to go to a course at tech next year so I might be able to keep up with you guys then. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2007, 10:10:52 PM »
Viv

You could do it Viv, and don't waste your money on a course. If there is anything you want to know just ask. Also, make sure you use search engines like Google to get answers to your problems. Type something like " Message board forum how to upload photos to a post". Try it and see what is found.

Another valuable source for information about message boards can be found at .... http://www.simplemachines.org/community/.

Simple machines or SMF ( see bottom of every page on this forum) developed the software that is used by this forum.

I honestly think that most computer courses are a waste of money. The best way to learn is just have a go and be "brave". I  don't mind trying to help with anything you want to do.

TerryW

Offline Mapman

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2007, 10:54:57 PM »
Yes Viv, as Terry says, you don't need to attend a special course to be able to upload stuff like the maps and things here.  Perhaps the most technical bit is learning how to use those boxes that specify where a certain file is on your computer - no more complicated than that.  The rest is just following some straightforward instructions.
After you've managed it once, you'll think it's a doddle honestly.

Stephan

Booking.com