Author Topic: The river  (Read 16455 times)

Offline willis

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
The river
« on: June 10, 2007, 03:23:51 PM »
On Friday workmen have started filling in the river with about 18 - 20 lorry loads of stone. Apparently it is chalky stone which will absorb a lot of the gunk and help to filter the water. Temporarily though it was just causing the water to back up further upstream. Please can anyone with any info keep us all up to date.

By the way, for anyone who doesn't believe  that the smell is olive related, when we went to play golf the other day, we passed some huge piles of olives, which smelt just as bad.
Nick

Offline John B

• Holiday in Heaven
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: The river
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 05:45:20 PM »
Your not wrong it most certainly did not smell like olives.

Thanks for the info.

Offline eve

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 08:28:40 PM »
oh dear! I was convinced it was olives! We saw men in those suits holding bottles, OLIVES!we thought, please, PLEASE! do not say different, blue flag is flying into the distance, Do you know the results of the testing? someone should, Dimitris?Come on honesty ALWAYS pays. I still believe the olives are to blame.

Offline willis

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 09:35:28 PM »
No - it is olives. As I said, the pile of olives by the road on the way to golf smelt exactly the same.
Nick

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 09:17:42 AM »
Hi there. Yes, be at rest guys it is just a by-product of the olive press further upstream.

This year because of the exceptionally mild winter the olive harvest has been terrific and the press which is normally finished by the start of the season was certainly still working a couple of weeks ago.

When the've done all will return to normal. I'm please some action has been taken meanwhile though.
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 07:22:15 PM »
Most definitely fermenting olives, I think the season has run late this year which is why it hasn't been washed away yet. It is an unfortunate smell but at least it's a natural one.

Offline eve

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 07:40:40 PM »
Thought and hoped as much, But I hope someone tells folk officially, new people may not understand, even as they look at the water and see the oil like slick. Yes the two olive presses were in full operation, locals said maybe untill 1st week in July as harvest is so good! No that does not mean falling prices, some are sitting on them waiting for the price to rise, do not blame them MUCH!!! Ha.ha.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 11:17:19 AM »
This is true, when we first arrived Brett wouldnt believe me that it was olives that he could smell, i had to get Bobby to confirm this to him.

When people arrive there for the first time and see and smell it i can understand them thinking otherwise!

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 09:25:28 PM »
Just backing up what everyone else is saying - IT'S THE OLIVES!!!!!
(not anything else)

Offline killie

• Cramond Angling Club
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 02:42:41 AM »
As of 2 nights ago before I left to come home it still stinks, so perhaps the stones arent making a difference. Perhaps harmless smell  but I think it must be affecting the Mirage cos I certainly would'nt eat there if the breeze is wafting the smell to your table.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 12:56:40 PM »
I did feel sorry for The Mirage also, the smell always seemed to be wafting their way, i must admit thats why we didnt eat in there cos Brett couldnt stand the smell, it must affect their business in some way.

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 01:50:46 PM »
I had brekky twice at the Mirage in May and didn't notice any smell at all when you get in there, even though it is quite pungent at the source it didn't seem to carry.

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 02:39:33 PM »
We noticied it when we were there a fortnight ago.  Not so much near the restaurant part of the Mirage but where everybody was sunbathing.  We both said as we walked past "i dont know how they can sit there with that awful smell"  or word to that effect!!  ;)

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 06:16:37 PM »
We also said that about the people sunbathing, because it was a constant smell maybe they just became immune to it??!  Although i wasnt going to find out, least of all cos i had a 27 year old man gagging beside me haha!!

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 06:23:17 PM »
....cos i had a 27 year old man gagging beside me haha!!

Naughty naughty Smiffy...stop bragging...LOL...LOL.... ;-)

Eileenxx

Booking.com