Author Topic: Arillas "Regular Visitor" membergroup  (Read 272694 times)

Maggie

Re: Arillas "Regular Visitor" membergroup
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 09:50:16 PM »
We first visited in 1993 I think. It was the summer before Yiannis Gianniotis was born. Since then we have been back 6 times. We will be there next week for 3 weeks, and my friend and I will return again in September. The first time we visited, George from the marina hotel ran a minibus up and down the village for people who were staying at Tria Adelphia and other properties up there. Does anyone else remember that?

Offline eve

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 10:46:03 PM »
I only remember everyone, run everyone up and down the "hill" but the reeds were still on the beach, no paving or lighting, but the people are still the same FANTASTIC!

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 01:12:37 AM »
I first visited Corfu in 1967 on an educational (!) school cruise. We were meant to go to the Holy Land but because of the war there, we were diverted to the Greek Islands. I returned as an impoverished 19 year old student and camped in Dassia for three weeks next door to the Club Meditarranee....I remember sneaking through a hole in the hedge and scrounging meals there....

I discovered Arillas by chance in 1993, and have been back every year since except 1994, sometimes 3 or 4 times a year. My kids grew up there and we all regard it as our second home. I think I've been about 25 times in all, mostly staying at the Rainbow with Jimmy and Spiro and family, all of whom have become good friends. I am very honoured that they now describe me as one of the family. I spent my 50th birthday there, with a memorable meal at Brouklis (thank you Dimitri).

Thankfully not too much has changed over the years. The Captains Bar appeared a few years ago, the Hotel Marvellous was completely overgrown for years and look at it now. The supermarket next door to that has opened....and closed. The white buildings opposite Brouklis have always been there and were never used until one shop opened a couple of years ago. The Pizzareia used to be called Acropylis....we borrowed orange tablecloths from there one year to use for towels when we went skinny dipping at midnight.... The Chinese restaurant has opened and closed and of course Ina's shop next door. There was a supermarket right next to the Malibu... As has already been said.....no Horizon or Mirage and in those days, Thalassa was called the Lambarda. The Marinaki pool was called the Flamingo.....

What never changes is the warmth and friendship of all the locals. People often ask me why on earth I keep going back to the same place...why not try somewhere different? Only one answer....when you have found perfection, why look elsewhere? Our bit of paradise. I already have it in my will that my ashes are to be scattered on the beach so I will be there for ever.....
Sandy x

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 11:09:29 AM »
I really enjoyed reading that Sandy... it came to my mind it was like the sea going back and forth on the beach with all the changes over the years in Arillas, with the restaurants closing and reopening!

It sounds like so many people view revisiting Arillas as going "home" and I agree with you that if you have found somewhere perfect then why go elsewhere.  Its safe, a happy and friendly place and truly relaxing, you dont need anything else.

Thanks Dimitris!  It would be nice to return as often as your "regular visitors".  We have 9 days to go before we visit again.. (well it is 9 if you dont count today!!! LOL)
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Geoffrey with a "G"

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 01:05:37 PM »
Hi Dimitris,
After first visit to Corfu in 1985, found Arillas in 1997, then back in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 & 2006, staying at Galini, Kokinos, taverna next-door to Kokinos, & Marina apartments, all excellent.
Whatever changes, the warmth of the Arillas people remains as a rival to that of the sun.
Long may it be so!
Geoffrey with a `G´

Maggie

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 10:05:12 PM »
Sandy, that reminded me of so many things that i had forgotten!!! I think it must be my age!!!!

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2007, 08:00:45 AM »
We have stayed at
1 Once at Kokkinos, 2 Twice at Makris,3 three times at Leonedis,4 once at Galini,twice at the Horizon,5 Three times at the Alexandros over a period of the last 15 years i think.Like Sandy we say we are at home now in fact we have called Corfu home for years beside Arillas we have been to Benites,St George both north and south and about 5 times to Roda,but stopped going there when it started to get busy.Arillas was the last place my in laws came to before they stopped holidaying and we have also brought friends once who so fell in love we Greece that one of them would go for about 3 months at at time(Kaliminos though).Like Sandy we have seen quite a few changes,but not a lot of building.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2007, 12:13:41 PM »
Like many people on holiday we always used to lie on the beach discussing and wishing that we could have our own place in the sun.  Never having had a bad holiday meant that every destination we visited was up for discussion on the beach!

Finally we were able to put the wheels in motion.  After a few reco' trips to other destinations we came to a decision based on our visits to the Mainland and Islands that Greece was our No.1 choice.  After much thought we decided on Corfu, logistically it gave us the most options for physically getting there.  Unfortunately it is one of the more expensive locations in Greece to purchase property.

We were not too fussy as to where we were based as we would be touring around reminding ourselves of the resorts and villages we had visited many years previous. A last minute cheapie deal gave us the choice of Ag.Georgios South or Arillas.  We plumped for Arillas, although with some trepidation as 4 years ago there was very little information available about Arillas, the photos we could find were hardly encouraging!  This fledgling website was our only source of information.  (Well done Sandy, Maggie, etc...for a long time you all sure managed to keep  your favourite place a well preserved secret!)

We arrived at the Mathraki Apartments and the following day we started our search armed with the schedules which I had printed off at home.

At this point we were really only looking for a suitable location, but by the end of our first week we were quite disheartened with the way things were going. Mulling things over one evening in Graziellas, we were watching the sunsetting when it suddenly dawned on us that we had fallen for Arillas!  Unwittingly to us, during the previous 7 days,  crafty Arillas had been quietly spinning it's web over us!

We went back to the apartment and dumped the remaining schedules in the bin, not knowing that the difficult part was about to begin...

As little as 4 years ago there were very few Estate agents in Corfu, property for sale in Arillas was even rarer. 

Nevertheless after a few fruitless visits (many tales to tell there!)  we eventually found what we were looking for.

4 years later we have visited 13 times, 21 weeks in total.  For most of these visits we stayed in the Mathraki.  We have also stayed in Annas, The Tria Adelphia, Thomas Bungalows and the Galini.

Every year we introduce more of our family and friends to Arillas...and yes just like the rest of us here on this forum it has managed to work it's magic on them too.

Eileenx

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 12:55:36 PM »
First time to Corfu 1983 Benitsis just me
2nd Arillas 1993 Mathraki me and hubby
3rd 1994 Makris me,hubby and daughter who was then 9yrs
4th 1996 Kaloudis all 3 of us
5th 2000 Kaloudis all 3 of us
6th 2006 Kaloudis just us 2 in june
7th 2006 Thetis just us 2 in sept
8th 2007 Thetis just us 2 sometime in sept hopefully
now where have we been during the missing years thats got me thinking
Ang

Offline carol2

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2007, 02:36:59 PM »
We first went to Arillas in 2002, will be returning on Monday for the 6th time so I think we qualify to join the "Regular Visitor" member group, hurray!
We have stayed at Makris twice, Leonidas twice & this year will be staying at Tria Adelphia for the second time, considering we spend most of our time enjoying the great company at the Tria Adelphia it makes sense to stay there.
First went to Arillas on a cheap  last minute deal & have not thought about going anywhere else since.
Great place, great company, great food, great great great!!! 
2 more sleeps,
Carol2
Get the beers in!

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2007, 07:22:09 PM »
Hi Dimitris. Lovely idea. 9 th time in Arillas coming soon! 2nd time this year. Was in Arillas 3 times last year. Love to all.
Lindypops.

Maggie

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2007, 07:58:57 PM »
If Carol2 has been 6 times, then I've counted wrong, cos we met them on our 3rd visit, which was their 1st. (confused?) Since then, we have only missed 1 of the hols, cos we went somewhere else!!!So we've been 7 times.... (lets hope I can count now.)duuuhhh!

Offline eve

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2007, 09:35:41 PM »
when visiting corfu all that went before is of no significance, only being there counts! but do we? NO!! we just enjoy. ha.ha.

Offline Marika

• Forum Fanatic
  • With love!
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2007, 05:40:11 PM »
Hi Dimitris!
My first time was 1995 in September and than
2000 - 3 weeks in July/August
2001 - 3 weeks in August
2002 - 3 weeks August/September
2003 - 3 weeks September
2003/2004 - Christmas,New year 1 week
2004 in June for one week
2004 September for 3 weeks
2005 August/September - 3 weeks
2006 August/September - 3 weeks
2007 June for 10 day
and I come in September for 3 weeks again :-) I can´t wait!!!
All the times I stayed in SanStefanos but we went to Arillas so many times!
Beach, Drinks,...........
This year was the first that I was more in Arillas than in SanStef!

www.marika75.webs.com

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2007, 12:01:03 AM »
Hi Dimitris,

My first time on the forum, I might need some help but here goes,

1992 and 93 stayed at Bardis Enterprise which is now Sea Breeze
1994 stayed at Tria Adelphia
1996 to 2002 stayed at Tria Adelphia except for one year at Leonidas
2004 and 06 stayed at Tria Adephia
In 1994 Mary my wife volunteered to bring our daughter for an extra holiday staying at Alexandria,s now Villa Angeliki
I think that is all of them

We are coming back home for 2 weeks on 17th September staying at Tria Adelphia

Dimitris, Mary said can you get her raw white cabbage ready and whatever you like for me

Love to all in Arillas, Mick

Booking.com