Author Topic: Euros  (Read 23017 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Euros
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 09:13:18 PM »
can I ask (as I do every year!).  Even though the rate in Arillas is better, you are charged commission so does this still work out cheaper?  If I could get 1.44 in England - commission free but 1.47 in Arillas which would be best?  Sorry, Its a blonde thing...

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 09:47:45 PM »
Sandy said I got 1.40 yesterday which is low but I didnt have to pay commission.  I didnt want the hassle of shopping around for it.  We usually change it at the airport, just enough to tide us over for our first meal and shop at the supermarket but it was convenient at the PO this time.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2007, 03:32:53 AM »
I've never changed money at the airport but would tend to avoid it at all costs - it must surely be the worst exchange rate there?

Personally I have always though it was 6 and 2 threes where you change it otherwise - 1.43 and no commission in the UK or 1.45 with commission in Arillas....on balance, I would opt to give the commission to the loacals in Arillas.
Sandy x

Offline Fiona

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2007, 03:25:09 PM »
The exchange rate in Arillas last week was 1.462 pretty much everywhere in Arillas.  When I left UK it was 1.42.  Prefer to give my business to Arillas than the money-grabbing companies in UK so I just try to keep €50 euros each visit to pay for the taxi from the airport and change sterling as soon as I arrive in Arillas.

Fiona

Offline Mango

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 01:34:32 PM »
Hi there
I got my Euros yesterday at a rate of 1.431.  M&S were doing it at this rate so Holiday Hypermarket price matched it for us.

Ready to go now!

Amanda

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 01:45:21 PM »
I opened my Nationwide account this morning and was told they have been inundated with applications from people primarily wanting to use the card abroad.
Sandy x

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007, 02:20:15 PM »
I guess they have had a lot of feedback from the advert on tv - the one where the lady is querying why she has been charged for taking out money abroad and the guy saying it pays for the drinks at there christmas party? or some works do. ???

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 03:47:40 PM »
That's right, Shuey, think he says it's for the Shareholders' meeting!
Fancy me knowing that - I didn't think I took much notice of adverts either!

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2007, 05:43:34 PM »
I agree with the above, id rather pay the commission in Arillas.

Im not surprised Nationwide have been inundated with applications, i hope they continue to do the commission free and its not just for a set period??!

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2007, 05:48:26 PM »
I don't know Smiffy. The woman was also trying to persuade me to get a Nationwide credit card but I said I did not need another. She tried to make out that most banks charge you for using a credit card abroad but I have never found that. Obviously you would be charged if it was to get cash, but I always pay for duty free etc at the airport by credit card because again, you usually get a much better rate of exchange when the bill comes....and certainly no extra charge to pay.
Sandy x

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 12:13:35 PM »
Spoke to someone at length about this and they reckoned that even with Arillas commission it worked out cheaper to take sterling then change it over there. 

Offline jebbo

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 03:07:41 PM »
Over the years I have always found it better to change money in Arillas rather than the UK. Even after the commission the rate works out better.

Jebbo

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 06:23:23 PM »
Could someone tell me the current exchange rate in Arillas and the commision rate please.  Is it 1 or 2%?

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 07:19:25 PM »
Jo
i asked Olga's Travel this question the other day and was told it's 2%. They all do a good exchage rate though. I remember that, when in the Alpha Bank at Acharavi, last September I noticed they only charged 1.5% so, out of interest, changed up some sterling. Back in Arillas I changed the same amount of sterling and even with their 2% got more euros than the Bank. - Strange that.
If you can get commission free sterling travellers cheques in England then bring those.
You will get more for your money. ( It was about 1.467 exchange in Arillas yesterday )
Negg

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007, 10:42:25 AM »
Thanks for that Neg.  Will probably bring my sterling to Arillas I think!

Booking.com